'10 Camaro SS vs. '11 Mustang GT drag race

Status
Not open for further replies.
I call factory freak on the Mustang. 79 mph trap vs 87, in the 1/8th mile?
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
shocked2.gif

+1

shocked2.gif

An 87 mph 1/8 trap speed should be a 109-ish trap, right about where it should be. I'll call par for the course.

The Camaro is doing exactly what I've personally seen of them at the drag strip, i.e. a lot slower than the magazine times.

Right, and most other tests of the 10 Camaro SS have traps speeds in the same range!

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
The Camaro is doing exactly what I've personally seen of them at the drag strip, i.e. a lot slower than the magazine times.

You are what's called a biased outlier in the realm of statistics!
48.gif

Seriously, I have now doubt the new Mustang is an incredible machine, but I dunno about this particular test! If further tests and real world street encounters back this one up, then it's legit.

You are what's called a biased outlier in the realm of statistics!
48.gif

Not exactly, I've personally witnessed at least a dozen '10 SSs make clean passes. 6-speeds usually trap around 82-83 mph, autos a few mph slower.

Remember, the automatic Camaros are down 26 HP to the manuals.

So pretty much all the magazines have the new Camaro in the 110 mph trap speed range in the 1/4, yet a dozen of them you've witnessed are substantially slower? And you're one of the most prolific Mustang guys on this site? And you bring out a Youtube video of the new Mustang vs the Camaro before it's on dealer lots and it gets slaughters the Camaro? I'm just saying!

Seriously, Time will tell. I personally think the new Mustang and Camaro are very close in straight line acceleration, based on published testing.

trap speed is more representative of the car, ET is more about the driver.

Anytime you get a real low ET it is at the expense of trap speed.

The new Coyote is not to be trifled with. But Ford is also not above sending out a few 'ringers' for the Ragazines to play with.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
But Ford is also not above sending out a few 'ringers' for the Ragazines to play with.

Based on past history, I believe they are. Ford's performance arm has been consistent on under-promising and over-delivering since at least 2003.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
But Ford is also not above sending out a few 'ringers' for the Ragazines to play with.

Based on past history, I believe they are. Ford's performance arm has been consistent on under-promising and over-delivering since at least 2003.

Since the 1999 SVT Cobra fiasco, that is exactly what the mandate has been....under promise, over deliver.

That Camaro isn't launching at all off the line. I've driven a few of the Camaro's and they haul [censored] a lot better than that. Either the driver is purposely driving like that or he isn't paying attention.

I give props on the Ford, but the Chevy should be able to do much better than that.

Originally Posted By: Anies
That Camaro isn't launching at all off the line. I've driven a few of the Camaro's and they haul [censored] a lot better than that.

That Camaro ran right next to the Mustang off the hit in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTL9psDWKjU

I've driven new SSs too, and was underwhelmed with the SOTP pull given 426 HP, and IMO they do feel a bit lazy in 1st until they hit 3000 rpm or so.

I've driven new SSs too, and was underwhelmed with the SOTP pull given 426 HP, and IMO they do feel a bit lazy in 1st until they hit 3000 rpm or so.

I drove a 2010 SS with the 6 speed manual and was also very disappointed in the SOTP feel of it. My automatic Corvette has a lot quicker acceleration off the line (although at the same time it has run a best ET of 12.81 at 109, so it should be quicker than a bone stock SS) The one thing that struck me as odd when I drove the SS was that a full throttle 1-2 shift didn't even produce the slightest chirp from the tires, even though the day I drove it the roads (and tires) were cold since it was only about 35 degrees outside. I think GM's famous "torque management" is in play here and that once it's disabled these cars will perform a lot better (I know mine performed better once it's TM was removed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back