1/2" Impact Wrench???

Status
Not open for further replies.
If an impact has high enough pressure/torque it will definitely snap the head read off a rusted bolt or strip out threads of a bolt. Gotta use some penetrating liquid on bad stuff. Sometime impacts are nice though cause you can try to jar the bolt back and forth to try breaking it loose.

I picked up the DeWalt DW059K_2 kit (300 ft. lb) at a small Sears Home store marked down 40%. I used it on lugs and stuck nuts and bolts around the house. Picked up a set of sockets from HF w/ coupon for $16.99

shows $232 on Amazon; If you paid 40% off that price, you got a great deal.

The spec says 15lb, is it really that heavy?

Where do you find bolts around the house (especially where 1/2 inch impact can be used?) Give me some hints!

- Vikas

It is heavy for sure. I got mine primarily for the summer to winter and back wheel changes though. I have 2 cars and do 2 more cars for family members too. Thats a great price at amazon if you get the whole kit. 2 batteries and the charger and case too. I had a rusted muffler bolt and shock bolts to take off and it worked just fine. Next is another rusted bolt in the basement. I always soak for several days first with wd-40 or similar oil. I paid 179 for the whole kit. it was 40% off list price of 299 at sears. I had to use a 1/2 to 3/8 reducer on the muffler socket because it needed the deep well socket.

Last edited:
thank God for air compressor, I got few years ago Porter Cable 6gallon and it does wonders . Last Xmas I picked up on sale a 1/2 impact gun from Lowe's for $25 with 90psi it works very good. The quality of the socket matters too.

My vote goes to the I.R. 2135 - an expensive tool for sure, but light, very powerful and long lived.

A lower cost alternative is the Cornwell CAT4135. I have the 3/8" (2125) version and it's stupidly powerful for the money. I almost never need a 1/2" gun now.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
shows $232 on Amazon; If you paid 40% off that price, you got a great deal.

The spec says 15lb, is it really that heavy?

Where do you find bolts around the house (especially where 1/2 inch impact can be used?) Give me some hints!

- Vikas

I have some wheel bolts on my boat trailer which is not at my house. At the house I have 1/2" and 3/4" pneumatic wrenches. But I would like to work on my trailer at the boat yard.

Most people are starting to use cordless over air tools. Unless the air is needed cause of the amount of torque required for the job.

Is the Dewalt DW058 or DW059 about the most torque available for a cordless impact wrench. I am trying to standardize on the Dewalt 18V battery. The DW058 is $139 at Lowes. I have a battery and charger.

I like the makita which i use. If u have other dewalt tools then u might as well go with that to keep the batteries.

Originally Posted By: JBKobb
My HF "Earthquake" 1/2" has always done what I've needed it to do. I think I paid $79 for it

What he said! I almost bought the 20 dollar impact until i read the reviews and everyone said to get the quake

I do a lot of mobile repair work, and LOVE milwaukee's m18 cordless electric impacts. the 1/2 one is rated at 450lb/ft, but I'm scratching my head on that, because I'm pretty sure some of the Honda crankshaft bolts I've pulled off with it required more than that.. Anyone know how they rate these things?

Anyways. For not very much more money than the 18 volt dewalt, you get 50% more rated torque and li-ion batteries. Can't speak on longevity because haven't used it for more than 6 months yet.

also.. if you really wanted something cheap and mobile and solid, i'd buy a cordless impact off of ebay with no batteries and then just build my own pack. the tool doesn't know where it's getting it's juice from, right? unless it checks for a smart chip like some cell phones.. i hope they don't do that. didn't on the milwaukee v28 series at least.

Quote:
Honda crankshaft bolts I've pulled off with it required more than that.. Anyone know how they rate these things?

I often wonder the same thing.
For the Honda crank bolt i use a 3/4 or 1" drive or if I'm not at the shop i do it dirty with a breaker bar and blip the engine letting it hit the lower control arm. It works every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back