1/2 drive deep sockets

Originally Posted by Trav
The problem with Wright IMO is they are stuck in the old SAE world. Look for a set of 6pt metric deep 1/2 drive chrome sockets, none. They really need to step up their metric and ratchet game to include pear heads. Nice quality tools no question but a lacking or none existent selection of the most common ones used in the automotive trade today.

They make a pear shape ratchet. The catalog online takes me too much time to go through for deep 6 point socket, I know they have 1/2 in 12 point.
I don't think a lot of people realize in the USA metric units were used extensively back even in the 19th century on machinery.

https://www.ohiopowertool.com/p-105...a3JH_6AIVMgPnCh22LweuEAQYASABEgKWs_D_BwE

An open tooth job for automotive work, you have to be joking. How does the system of measurement the USA used in the 19th century relate to what is used today?

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
The problem with Wright IMO is they are stuck in the old SAE world. Look for a set of 6pt metric deep 1/2 drive chrome sockets, none. They really need to step up their metric and ratchet game to include pear heads. Nice quality tools no question but a lacking or none existent selection of the most common ones used in the automotive trade today.

They make a pear shape ratchet. The catalog online takes me too much time to go through for deep 6 point socket, I know they have 1/2 in 12 point.
I don't think a lot of people realize in the USA metric units were used extensively back even in the 19th century on machinery.

https://www.ohiopowertool.com/p-105...a3JH_6AIVMgPnCh22LweuEAQYASABEgKWs_D_BwE

Those Wright Tool "pear heads" are not the typical pear head design, the have a open exposed mechanism with a 45 tooth gear in both 3/8 & 1/2. I own every Wright ratchet they make in 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2" drive.
[Linked Image]

An open tooth job for automotive work, you have to be joking. How does the system of measurement the USA used in the 19th century relate to what is used today?

Was I talking about a specific kind of work? You said they they don't make pear head, and I showed they do. There is no other story. Metric is not new to the USA from the beginning to now. People commonly use inches in the USA but that doesn't mean we don't use metric in industry and research and fully are capable of using it. It's just another unit of measurement. Mils or microns, every engineering lab you walk into knows what these mean. I like the Wright pear head, old school.

Check out Ebay. There are tons of used 1/2 deep sockets in good condition at top quality USA made at bargain prices. Don't buy those Chinese cr@p tools at HF. Read the description first before you buy especially the Country of Origin/Manufacture

Last edited:
I can vouch for the ICON set. I have been slowly converting my tools over to ICON. I am done with Snap-On. So far I have the big ICON tool box with stainless work station and both big end cabinets - love it! I have also gotten the torx set, rachets and sockets.

I can vouch for the ICON set. I have been slowly converting my tools over to ICON. I am done with Snap-On. So far I have the big ICON tool box with stainless work station and both big end cabinets - love it! I have also gotten the torx set, rachets and sockets.

How are the ICON tools holding up? How are they compared to the snap-on tools?

Hello, I am in the market for a set of sockets, deep, half in drive, SAE. Was thinking about the new ICON brand from HF. What do people recommend here, is there a better option out there? I am not a professional, just a weekend warrior but enjoy good tools and understand good tools cost money. But I dont think I need a $500 set of snap on sockets either.. what do you have experience with and recommend?
What kind of work is being done with the sockets? Pittsburgh Pro has taken a lot of abuse from me I get the value of higher end sockets in professional/high volume applications where tolerance stack can cause issues down the line.

I have a set of 6 pt Stanley proto that aren’t deep and aren’t shallow. Kind of in between and very handy. Nice finish too - it’s like a bead blasted black phosphate (theyre impact type but I use them for both), not the usual flat black oxide coating. I generally get SK otherwise, and have been happy with mine. Support USA manufacturing!

As a follow up, I've bought several sets of sockets from Williams since this post. 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", metric, fractional, and torx.

Wonderful tools. Very well made.

All from the link that Trav provided. They take about a week to ship, but are packed with care and very well protected in nice boxes. Further, I had two orders and they combined them and refunded me the shipping on the second order.

As a follow up, I've bought several sets of sockets from Williams since this post. 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", metric, fractional, and torx.

Wonderful tools. Very well made.

All from the link that Trav provided. They take about a week to ship, but are packed with care and very well protected in nice boxes. Further, I had two orders and they combined them and refunded me the shipping on the second order.

I will have to look into those torx bits it seems I break all of the cheaper less expensive brands same with the Allen sockets. I rounded one of my hex on that brake caliper on my escape it was just a cheap one from O’Reilly. So if you like the Williams I will take a look at those.

For the sockets I agree with a few others here on the Williams they are great sockets so are Wright and Proto and SK they are all expensive somewhat but definitely worth it another I recommend is Armstrong even though I heard they aren’t made anymore maybe you could find a used set somewhere. Also Kobalt are very nice if you can find them anywhere it seems Lowe’s has pretty much given up Kobalt. And the Harbor Freight Pittsburgh Pro are fine along with their Quinn brand. I have no personal experience with Icon stuff really so I can’t speak on those.

I will have to look into those torx bits it seems I break all of the cheaper less expensive brands same with the Allen sockets. I rounded one of my hex on that brake caliper on my escape it was just a cheap one from O’Reilly. So if you like the Williams I will take a look at those.
I've had very good luck with the Williams bit sockets, both torx and hex bit. You'll find that the Metric Hex Bit sockets are made in Taiwan, but they've been great for me. Lots of torque, no slipping.

I've had very good luck with the Williams bit sockets, both torx and hex bit. You'll find that the Metric Hex Bit sockets are made in Taiwan, but they've been great for me. Lots of torque, no slipping.
Great I will definitely get some then. I have no problem with them being Taiwan I have had good luck with Taiwan stuff. I have broke a lot of the Pittsburgh they are kind of weak same with the Gearwrench in my experience. Especially with these Toyota starting to use more Allen stuff now I will need them for sure.

Back