1,000 mile oil change for severe service.

That's an idea. I had on my mind that when an engine receives fresh engine oil regularly that the oil ends up attacking/wearing away certain components within the engine.
Fresh oil does not attack or wear away engine components. However, an interesting SAE study showed that the detergents in fresh oil will wash away the tribochemical film that forms on bearing surfaces. The study was based on a small vehicle fleet, with oil change intervals that varied between 3,000 and 15,000 miles. Basically, aged engine oils provide less friction and considerably lower wear than fresh oil. https://www.sae.org/publications/technical-papers/content/2007-01-4133/

I would go at least 6 months but I doubt there is any harm, just wasting oil. In any case, if you're worried about the GDI, use a good intake manifold cleaner before you change the oil, maybe throw injector cleaner in the tank as well. I don't know what they sell Downunder but a lot like the STP stuff here:

Last edited:
I have a 3.6 VZ commodore, 215k kms zero timing chain issues, runs perfectly and I drive it hard. Regularly sits idle for 2-3 hours with ac on full. I run Mobil 1 5w30, Mobil 1 ESP 5w30, and Shell Helix Ultra ECT C3 5w30, and ryco syntec oil filters. I change engine oil at 5k kms/6months, transmission and diffs every 20k kms.

All way, way, too short an OCI. I doubt any of your conditions are that special. Do you operate on unpaved desert roads with no air filter? I can't imagine if you aren't the Rat Patrol your oil isn't practically new at 1k to 3k miles.
Your cars, you money though, your choice. Legislators will be putting an end to that soon though.

Fresh oil does not attack or wear away engine components. However, an interesting SAE study showed that the detergents in fresh oil will wash away the tribochemical film that forms on bearing surfaces. The study was based on a small vehicle fleet, with oil change intervals that varied between 3,000 and 15,000 miles. Basically, aged engine oils provide less friction and considerably lower wear than fresh oil. https://www.sae.org/publications/technical-papers/content/2007-01-4133/
Thanks for posting that.

Completely unnecessary. Once a year or maybe even go 2 years.

It's not the 80's anymore, even 3K OCIs are a massive waste of money but a boatload of people still do it, :rolleyes:
A boatload of people still do it well a survey I read just a few days ago said only 13% of the drivers in the US do DIY oil changes. In the last 20 plus years I'd have to say my shortest OCI has been pretty close to just over 4K miles. Most run between 5K and 7K. I have skipped a few that just weren't long enough. It never caused an engine failure. In fact, the New Mazda will get changed here pretty soon after New Year's at 5K miles.

I'd say a bigger waste of money is sending an oil burning excessive blowby sludged up engine and its vehicle to the salvage yard before its time. With 5% fuel, 3k isn't short enough for the woman's commute. 1k borders on a troll post. Maybe an AI/Bot keeping people busy posting and not living their lives.

I do not think that the changing the oil thing is a problem........I think the dry start is the issue.............when you remove the filter all that oil coming out is "upstream" held back by the bypass in the filter. You could combat the short trip and lack of getting the engine to temp by running out of overdrive gear for say half the trip............they are made to get hot........

It's not the 80's anymore, even 3K OCIs are a massive waste of money but a boatload of people still do it, :rolleyes:
I've seen UOAs of short-tripped VW 1.4 TSI that after 1 year and 9000km hat nearly 10%fuel in the oil. Horrible wear numbers also...
For this guy, even the once a year oil change was too long. So in some cases a 3000mile/5000km OCI might indeed be appropriate.

On the other hand, if you are getting this much fuel in the oil (and a defect at the injectors can be excluded), your trips are really short. You would be better off with a bicycle then. There really should be no need to start an engine for trips less than 10km. In an urban area and during rush hour, up to 15-20km, you'd usually be faster as well.

Back