0W40 Can Ruin A 5W20/5W30 Oil Spec'd Engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some ask where I have been reading this "GARBAGE?" I GOOGLED "0W40 USED IN SPEC'D 5W20/5W30 ENGINES" and it gave me several car forums. The members were bickering about how it would cause TOTAL MELTDOWN in ANY engine! I know we're not supposed to post other forums here, so I have to figure out a way to show you fine members without getting a permanent vacation.
To be continued..................

I'd say there is a different TOTAL MELTDOWN occurring on those sites unrelated to any technical reasons.

Let me guess before I even see it, some/most of the TOTAL MELTDOWNs are related to a fundamental misunderstanding of the winter rating?

If it flows, no.
All those freezing and below starts would be killing engines if viscosity was an issue.
Even 40c viscosity are significantly thicker for any oil, than difference between 20 and 40 at 100c

I'm surprised you decided to venture outside the factory recommended viscosity without first consulting with the expertise of the fine members here at BITOG. Coming on here and stating that you've already switched to 0W-40 after the fact is an audacious show of defiance. You sir have now been placed on the watchlist and are subject to close scrutiny within all your future endeavors. An aerial surveillance drone has now been dispatched to your residence.

Running a 40 wt in an engine specd for 30 wt won't hurt a thing.BOF you should know this by now.
Your engine will be just fine.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
The engine in my 07 F150 is spec'd 5W20. In 1997, its 1st year in production, it was spec'd 5W30. In 2000 Ford spec'd 5W20, and back spec'd 5W20. I have used whatever weight oil I wanted to and it is still running with over 150K miles.
I have been doing a lot of reading about 0W40 in engines such as mine. There are mixed opinions about it and how it can ruin my engine. Some are even stating that using a 0W40 in a 0W20 spec'd engine will ruin it as well. Some are positive responses. Such as, use it over any other oil. It will protect your engine, esp. at start up and operating temperature.
What gives? I have had PP EURO 0W40 in my engine for almost a month, maybe more, and it has NEVER run as quiet as it does now. Am I reading opinions from "ARMCHAIR QUARTERBACKS" or people that actually know what they're talking about?
21.gif
confused2.gif
confused.gif

We run 15w-40 year round in our 4.6L Crown Vic PI's. We never auctioned them before 150,000 miles and never had an engine failure on. I still see several locally running around with 28" spinner rims & stereos with the base cranked up so loud the trunk lid rattles but the engines are still going strong.

Last edited:
*An alternative for 0W20 & 5W20 users is the new PP 5W30 DEXOS1 Gen 2 : It is at the lower end of 30W weight ratings and is designed to be sheer resistant ... Designed for DI engines but performs well in standard port injection engines too ... I look at it as a high 20W oil that doesn't sheer !

The engine in my 07 F150 is spec'd 5W20. In 1997, its 1st year in production, it was spec'd 5W30. In 2000 Ford spec'd 5W20, and back spec'd 5W20. I have used whatever weight oil I wanted to and it is still running with over 150K miles.
I have been doing a lot of reading about 0W40 in engines such as mine. There are mixed opinions about it and how it can ruin my engine. Some are even stating that using a 0W40 in a 0W20 spec'd engine will ruin it as well. Some are positive responses. Such as, use it over any other oil. It will protect your engine, esp. at start up and operating temperature.
What gives? I have had PP EURO 0W40 in my engine for almost a month, maybe more, and it has NEVER run as quiet as it does now. Am I reading opinions from "ARMCHAIR QUARTERBACKS" or people that actually know what they're talking about?
21.gif
confused2.gif
confused.gif

5400+ posts. I'm certain you know the answers to these questions.

0w40 will run just fine. However, judging an oil by how quiet your engine is likely aint very scientific. I put 0w40 in my corolla and it ran just fine, no noticeable difference in fuel economy either. Many years ago a dealer put in 5w50 (no idea why) and the gas mileage was not good. Either way, use what you like or whats recommended. I usually follow whats recommended though.

I like my thin oil too, but I'm running 5w-40 in my 220K mile 5.4L engine. Makes just as much noise as it does on 5w-20!

My FB25 will get a 0w-40 as soon as the warranty is up.

I like thin oils but I'm okay with 0w-30s and 40s.

I don't know where they come up with these stories, its not true. If anything you have more chance of doing engine damage going too thin as Honda found out some years ago with the CBR 900RR, new bike engines literally scattered all over the place inc mine, they changed the spec to a thicker oil right quick.

21.gif
confused2.gif
confused.gif

See, you've learned the secret they don't want you to know - some oils are quieter
smile.gif

Now, you'll start doing all sorts of experiments like which filter maintains best fill, etc. The experiments will never end and you'll be switching things around looking for that silent Town Car sort of presence ... Is it really running ...
laugh.gif

Armchair Quarterbacks indeed ...

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
*An alternative for 0W20 & 5W20 users is the new PP 5W30 DEXOS1 Gen 2 : It is at the lower end of 30W weight ratings and is designed to be sheer resistant ... Designed for DI engines but performs well in standard port injection engines too ... I look at it as a high 20W oil that doesn't sheer !

In that same vein, wouldn't PP or PUP 5w20 be even more shear resistant? (I'm hoping that's the case with the PUP 5w20 I bought for my Honda's next OCI at least)

The only issue with putting a thicker oil in an engine spec'd for 20 or 30 is that it will interfere with the operation of the cam phasers. I have seen this complaint many times over the years on BITOG associated with the Ford 5.4 modular.

I don't know if 0-40 will ruin(LOL) an engine calling for a 20wt, but 0-20 sure hasn't ruined my engines. 425K with 0-20 M1 and counting.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ChrisD46

Interesting...do you know if this is the idea behind the Valvoline Modern Engine 5W30, too? Its starting 100C viscosity was somewhere in the 9s like that PP.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
The only issue with putting a thicker oil in an engine spec'd for 20 or 30 is that it will interfere with the operation of the cam phasers. I have seen this complaint many times over the years on BITOG associated with the Ford 5.4 modular.

I would love to see th science, such as the hydraulic and mechanical interference cause by the difference between 9cst and 13 cst oil interferfering with pressure actuators and timing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back