0W30 vs 0W40

What were your oil change intervals with the Pennzoil Ultra 0W40 ? Also , did you use the OEM oil filter or another brand ? ... Your engine looked pristine !
First oil change at 1000 miles. Second around 3500. Every 5K after that. OEM filter. With the exception of two (but with the OE filter) every oil change was done at the dealership with me bringing the oil. I bring the M1 to the dealership for the 2021 as well.

Mobil differentiates between M1 ESP 0/30 and ESP 0/40. Their table shows the 0/40 does NOT approval for a 2021 Mercedes GLC300 4Matic - 229.31, 51 52 and 71 required. M1 ESP 5/30 does! Note the second number.

Merc manual recommends 0/20, and Mobile Oil Finder suggests M1 ESP X2 0/20 (229.71). For the hotter Michigan summers and cold winters, I have been using Mobil 1 ESP 0/30 - compliant with Merc specs 229.31, 51 and 52, according to the Mobile 2019 table of approvals.

No idea what the X2 means (unique Mobil 1 designation, anyone?), but I understand the ESP refers to the particulate filter requirements. The SUV is a 4 cylinder-turbo. When registering the oil change reset on the dash, it requires you to designate the selected approval, 229.31, 51, 52 or 71. Planning on having this vehicle for as long as possible. Currently under warranty that I don't want to jeopardize.

I change the oil every year or 6 -7,000 miles.

I bought a 2021 Sonata as my new daily last year. 2.5T Smart Stream engine. It suits my needs in a daily driver. Owner's manuals says nothing but 0W30. Been using Mobil 1. Did an analysis at 27K. Oil and engine immaculate. I used Penzoil Ultra Platinum 0W40 in my previous daily. That engine was also immaculate at 100K when it was totaled.
I'm in Texas and moving back to Arizona in the spring. Both have summer weather temperatures at 100+ of course. 0W30 is rated at -35 to 86F. 0W40 up to 104⁰. I'm thinking of going back to 0W40. Good idea? I'm not overly concerned with Hyundai saying is specifies 0W30 only, considering they're allowing dealers to use 0W20 during the free maintenance. You'd think they'd be stricter with that considering the Theta II issues ..
Download owners manual for everywhere outside of USA. That will tell you it’s OK.

Thank you very much for that.
They include free oil changes for 3/36. Since their schedule is 8K, thats four oil changes. I've handled this car the way I handle every new vehicle. I paid for an oil change at 1000 miles then again at around 4,000 mi. They covered the 8, 16, and 24. I covered the 12, 20, and 28ish. I'm at 30K now and get the last freebie at 32K. All of which I bring them Mobil 1 0W30 ESP. Overkill I know but the car is had eight oil changes. Once I use up their last freebie, I'll resume my normal schedule of 5K..
At the rate I'm clocking the miles, I'll probably be back in Tucson just after my 32k oil change. I'll beat on that for 5K and send it out for analysis.
This Blackstone UOA says you are using AFE., not ESP as you state. Is that a typo?

No he's confused. ESP is sold in quarts at some Walmarts but not the 5-quart containers. AutoZone also has the 5W-30 but for around $34. However you can usually get the filter deal.
I picked up three 5qt jugs of ESP on sale at Oreileys for $87 out the door. 🤙 Good deal in my opinion.

Thank you very much for that.
They include free oil changes for 3/36. Since their schedule is 8K, thats four oil changes. I've handled this car the way I handle every new vehicle. I paid for an oil change at 1000 miles then again at around 4,000 mi. They covered the 8, 16, and 24. I covered the 12, 20, and 28ish. I'm at 30K now and get the last freebie at 32K. All of which I bring them Mobil 1 0W30 ESP. Overkill I know but the car is had eight oil changes. Once I use up their last freebie, I'll resume my normal schedule of 5K..
At the rate I'm clocking the miles, I'll probably be back in Tucson just after my 32k oil change. I'll beat on that for 5K and send it out for analysis.
I think you're doing the best you can for that engine. For warranty reasons only I'd stick with the 0w30 until the warranty runs out then go 0w40 after that.

How is that possible? The O’Reilly auto places here only sell quarts of ESP and they are over $11 each. Only AutoZone has the 5-quart and they are around $33.
I don't know what to tell you but it's on sale now plus if you order online it's another 20% off plus free shipping! Get on it.😎 I should order more while I can.😂

Attachments

• 75F50D0A-A072-4242-A1CF-46A2013F4E02.jpeg
    75F50D0A-A072-4242-A1CF-46A2013F4E02.jpeg
    76.3 KB · Views: 49
Thanks for posting this. I grabbed 6 jugs today (max discount is $50 and 6 jugs gets you as close as you can without going over).
Funny you say this. I just ordered 3 more jugs yesterday!😂 I haven't even tried the oil yet and I have 6 jugs stockpiled. Based on all of the raving reviews of the oil and not one negative one, I think I'm going to like it.

Back