0w20 vs 5w20 For Low Speed, Short Trip Driving

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
The car is a 2011 Camry, 4cyl. I drive about 3,500 miles per year, mostly short trips in town and 2-3 five mile freeway trips per month at 55mph. Rarely do I drive above 35mph in town. Most trips are under five miles long. Often there are a few stops and restarts along the way. I live in the San Francisco area, and temps are very mild.

Would one of these viscosities provide better protection for the type of driving I do, low speed,short trips, assuming the same oils with just different viscosities.

You could probably run straight 20 in San Fransisco and never notice any real difference. Unless it's absolutely freezing and you need cold pumpability at sub arctic temps, the difference between a 5W20 and 0W20 are mostly negligible.

Yeah, I would run 0W-20. That's what I use in my 2018 Jeep Cherokee and it seems to do well. I change it every 5K+ miles with a Mopar filter (since it's under warranty).

Reactions: 4WD
All else created equal, I try to use the narrowest spread that accommodates a given climate. That would be 5w-20 in your case.

That's really splitting hairs though, in the grand scheme of things it will make little difference.

Below Zero (Fahrenheit) I would prefee 0W-20. Other than that flip a coin. If you can get 5W-20 substantially cheaper.(as has been the case with PUP lately) I would go that route.

You could probably run straight 20 in San Fransisco and never notice any real difference. Unless it's absolutely freezing and you need cold pumpability at sub arctic temps, the difference between a 5W20 and 0W20 are mostly negligible.
The company I worked for in the SF Bay Area used Delo 400 straight 30 in all their vehicles.

I would run Supertech 5W20 from Walmart and sleep well at night.

What have you done for the last 9 years? Unless this is a new - old car? Either case, see above.

The car is a 2011 Camry, 4cyl. I drive about 3,500 miles per year, mostly short trips in town and 2-3 five mile freeway trips per month at 55mph. Rarely do I drive above 35mph in town. Most trips are under five miles long. Often there are a few stops and restarts along the way. I live in the San Francisco area, and temps are very mild.

Would one of these viscosities provide better protection for the type of driving I do, low speed,short trips, assuming the same oils with just different viscosities.

Honestly any API SP GF-6 rated 5W-20 will be perfectly fine for Annual Changes in SF under that scenario.

12 Months with whatever SP GF-6 5W-20 you can get the cheapest and cheapest store brand filter.

24 Months with the cheapest Synthetic SP GF-6 5W-20 with a better brand filter.

36 Months with Mobil 1 EP 5W-20 or 0W-20 and a Fram Ultra.

My dad has a 2009 Tacoma since 2011. 2.7L, RWD. It had 23k miles on it in 2011. Now in 2020 it has just a little over 65K miles. Gets driven every day, but for less than 10 miles total. Ran many brands and grades in that time as oil is short tripped, so get's changed semi-annually. Best results so far (drivability, noise, and MPG) are with 0W20 oils, especially great results with 0W20 Castrol Magnatec.

Below Zero (Fahrenheit) I would prefee 0W-20. Other than that flip a coin. If you can get 5W-20 substantially cheaper.(as has been the case with PUP lately) I would go that route.

I thought 5w was designed for use down to -30c/-22F?

Back