0w20 vs 5w20 For Low Speed, Short Trip Driving

But does it really make a difference? Shouldn't both perform the same at a certain temp?

Where op lives, he can even use 10W which iirc, it's good down to -12F but since he likes xW20, I would prefer 0W20 over 5W20 due to a better base oil. However if it was my car, I would use a good 10W30 syn.

But does it really make a difference? Shouldn't both perform the same at a certain temp?

No they don't perform the same. Crank them both at below zero and measure the amount of time until you have oil pressure. That said a good bit of variation exist between 5W oils. Some are almost a 10W and some are almost a 0W.

A reason exist that the HD Engine Manufacturers cut off 15W at 15F and 10W at 0F despite the fact they are rated for a lower temperature.

Last edited:
No they don't perform the same. Crank them both at below zero and measure the amount of time until you have oil pressure. That said a good bit of variation exist between 5W oils. Some are almost a 10W and some are almost a 0W.

A reason exist that the HD Engine Manufacturers cut off 15W at 15F and 10W at 0F despite the fact they are rated for a lower temperature.
They also do not perform the "same" at temp, one has more VIM's then the other. More crud in the oil, more diff there will be.

Back