0w20 vs 5w20 for 2014 300C AWD with 5.7L Hemi?!

I'm due up for an oil change and wanted some suggestions for which oil to try in my 2014 Chrysler 300C AWD with a 5.7L (has MDS) please.

I do only a little city driving now as work is quite close to home. Our temps can get chilly at times (-20*C/-4*F to -25*C/-13*F) but usually only for a week - three at a time (I'm in SW Ontario.) I do try to take the car out for a decent drive once a month at least. I only put about 10000 kms/6213 miles on the car a year. I usually change the oil 2x a year no matter what (fall and spring) with a Mopar 899 or Wix XP filter. I do find my oil still gets dirty fast and smells like fuel, though I've never gotten a oil report. I change the filters often (air, oil etc...)

I've read the 0w20 oils have better base and shear. Not sure if its enough of a difference to matter, nor if our temps are cold enough to matter? Is WM SuperTech Full Synthetic any good? I've always used M1 full synthetic 5w20 of whatever is on sale but all out of oil right now...

Thanks for the info and help :)

At those Temps, 0w-20 and 5w-20 will have zero distinguishable difference. Buy whichever you can find cheaper, if the same price I would agree with you that 0w-20 typically has better base oils from what I've read.

Why do people find it so hard to either answer the OP's question, or dont comment at all? He's asking 0w-20 vs 5w-20 - why do we feel the need to offer completely different grades?!? 🤦🏼‍♂️

At those Temps, 0w-20 and 5w-20 will have zero distinguishable difference. Buy whichever you can find cheaper, if the same price I would agree with you that 0w-20 typically has better base oils from what I've read.

Why do people find it so hard to either answer the OP's question, or dont comment at all? He's asking 0w-20 vs 5w-20 - why do we feel the need to offer completely different grades?!? 🤦🏼‍♂️
It is a 0w and the oil is on sale. We come here to be informed, our horizons expanded.

I'm due up for an oil change and wanted some suggestions for which oil to try in my 2014 Chrysler 300C AWD with a 5.7L (has MDS) please.

I do only a little city driving now as work is quite close to home. Our temps can get chilly at times (-20*C/-4*F to -25*C/-13*F) but usually only for a week - three at a time (I'm in SW Ontario.) I do try to take the car out for a decent drive once a month at least. I only put about 10000 kms/6213 miles on the car a year. I usually change the oil 2x a year no matter what (fall and spring) with a Mopar 899 or Wix XP filter. I do find my oil still gets dirty fast and smells like fuel, though I've never gotten a oil report. I change the filters often (air, oil etc...)

I've read the 0w20 oils have better base and shear. Not sure if its enough of a difference to matter, nor if our temps are cold enough to matter? Is WM SuperTech Full Synthetic any good? I've always used M1 full synthetic 5w20 of whatever is on sale but all out of oil right now...

Thanks for the info and help :)
You want a 0w in that winter.

The new Ram hemi engines are specifically indicating 0w20 for every environment. I suspect a lot of it comes from CAFE ratings, but Mopar does offer warranties up to 100,000+ miles. I do 5w20 in my 2019 classic and i am considering the 0w20

0w20 gets my vote. Even if it’s marginal, you have better cold flow properties and generally better base oils used vs 5w20. So if you have a choice, why not go did the better of the two for the same money?

Crappy Tire has Castrol 0W-40 on sale this week for $40.99 5L.

Sorry OP, wrong HEMI. I read 5.7L but brain still thought the bigger HEMI running 0W-40.

RAM spec'd the 2022 5.7L with 0W-20 from 5W-20 in previous years. Difference between the two is minimal with extreme cold flow favouring the 0W-20. You can't go wrong with either.

Crappy Tire has something on sale every week. Castrol, Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Quaker State on regular rotation.

This is getting stupid trying to figure out what oil to try. At Canadian Tire alone for their store brand (Motomaster OEPLUS) they have four different flavors of 0W-20, High Mileage, Domestic, Import, and regular synthetic, all within $3 of each other :/ sigh...

You mentioned the Supertech Full Synthetic - it's always performed well for me and the price is right. You cannot go wrong with either 0w20 or 5w20 for your application but I see no reason not to go to the 0w20 in case it does really hit a cold snap and get down to -40C or similar for a while. There's no downside.

This is getting stupid trying to figure out what oil to try. At Canadian Tire alone for their store brand (Motomaster OEPLUS) they have four different flavors of 0W-20, High Mileage, Domestic, Import, and regular synthetic, all within $3 of each other :/ sigh...
4 different opportunities to get a sale lol

I have a dozen or so starts to make each year at -20C or lower where I live. There absolutely is a difference between 0w20 and 5w20 at those temperatures, though it isn't HUGE its there. The 5w is still within what its capable, but it cranks over quicker and is quieter in the first few minutes of operation on a 0W. It could be the difference between starting and not starting if your battery is weak or you’ve made too many starts without recharging fully… That being said I still remember routinely starting a 90's Mazda in the same climate with 10w30 GTX in it, and life went on despite it sounding really unhappy.

The fall and spring oil changes give the OP an opportunity to optimize for the climate since SW Ontario has a 60Deg C spread between coldest and hottest day of the year.

Entirely different grades are needed sometime to optimize. This site is all about optimizing oil choices.

I do try to take the car out for a decent drive once a month at least. I only put about 10000 kms/6213 miles on the car a year. I usually change the oil 2x a year no matter what (fall and spring) with a Mopar 899 or Wix XP filter. I do find my oil still gets dirty fast and smells like fuel, though I've never gotten a oil report. I change the filters often (air, oil etc...)

At ~5K OCI's on synthetic, the 7 quarts of oil shouldn't be degrading to the point of concern. How many kms do you have on it? What's it's history? The Hemi in a 300C doesn't have to work too hard to move itself about, far from an underpowered vehicle.

Right now at Canadian Tire you can also get Pennzoil 0w30 Euro for 36.99 Less 25$ Rebate on 2 jugs. or the OEPlus 0w30 for 32.99 if you don't care for rebates. The Hemi will love this oil, and after enough of it has flushed through, I doubt you'd even think it will be worth changing after a mere 5K kms.

Back