0w20 or 5w20

My 2009 corolla 1.8 says I can use either viscosity, but on every website oil selector shows 0w20. Not sure which I should use. I know that the cold weight is super close and the hot weight is the same. I know previous to 09, the engines used 5w30, and everything after calls for 0w20

Either is fine
x2. Any good brand of oil (preferably synthetic) should be fine for your Corolla.

In general, for this type of product, they are made within a range of specification.
Mixing oil cannot be exactly the same in every batch anyway, there is what we called tolerance.
As long as a product or batch within a product are within the tolerance, they are good to go and sold at store shelves.

There are probably 200 existing threads on this topic (if not more). Perhaps check some of them out?

And I found one.

0w-20 and 5w-20 and nearly identical in theory, you'd have to do some digging through VOA's to find more precise information.

From looking at PQIA's report on Magnatec SP-rated 5w-20, it has a KV40 of 46.4, KV100 of 8.3, and a CCV@-30*c of 4,601

PQIA also reported Castrol Edge SN Plus 0w-20 at a KV40 of 43.6, KV100 of 8.4, and a CCV@-35*c of 5,175

I would lean towards 5w-20, if you need a top off quart, you'd be more likely to find a good enough 5w-20 at a Dollar General or gas station than a 0w-20. But, the climate of Rhode Island may point you towards a 0w-20 for better startup protection.

In this example(not gospel), realize that most if not all 0w oil is full syn where the 5w can be anything between conventional, blend or full syn.
That's why owners manuals that require e.g. a 0W20 ONLY, means that the MFG wants the vehicle owner to use a full synthetic...however there are exceptions.
Allowing for a 5w of 10w lets the owner choose the quality of oil.
5W30 or 10W30 which can be any quality

Last edited:
In this example(not gospel), realize that most if not all 0w oil is full syn where the 5w can be anything between conventional, blend or full syn.
That's why owners manuals that require e.g. a 0W20 ONLY, means that the MFG wants the vehicle owner to use a full synthetic...however there are exceptions.
Allowing for a 5w of 10w lets the owner choose the quality of oil.
Actually I think the only thing it really means is that's the oil the manufacturer used to certify their vehicle for CAFE credit. They cannot recommend or list any other oil without violating that agreement. It's also appropriate for any expected starting conditions so it's a universal choice.

Last edited:
In Australia where CAFE is not implemented Toyota recommends SAE 0W-20, 5W-20 or 5W-30 for all Corollas including hatchback.

Last edited:
I realize oils have "improved" since this little anecdote, but I thought I'd mention it. Back in the mid 70's I was living in Fairbanks Alaska. Stationed there with the US Army. The only commercially available motor oil that had a chance of handling the extreme cold temperatures during the winter months was a 5W-20 Quaker State, which had a warning printed on the metal can's it came in (ah, the old metal oil cans): NOT FOR EXTENDED HIGHWAY USE. This oil allegedly met the then current API-SD spec of that time period. I used this oil in my vehicle from late November thru March every year (local around town driving only). Ever since then 5w-20 oil gives me a "danger Will Robinson" reaction whether founded or not.
The Army used a synthetic oil of some kind in their gas powered vehicles up there during that period. No idea of it's viscosity, but I do remember several vehicles destroying engines every winter during convoy operations when this oil was used.

I realize oils have "improved" since this little anecdote, but I thought I'd mention it. Back in the mid 70's

EVERYTHING in the automotive world has improved tremendously since the mid 70's, not just engine oil.
I would recommend that you take your ~45 year old reaction to 5W-20 and drop it off into the nearest trashcan.
You've lived long enough fearing a perfectly good oil grade that it's time to let go of something that can't hurt you anymore.

Back