0W20 Oil Choice Considerations ?

They don't have different oil channels. They just have to bow to market availability. I would wager that the engine failure rate is far higher in Mexico though this isn't directly related to oil viscosity. I'm not familiar with all of the intricacies of Mexican climate but am guessing they rarely see freezing temps anywhere and the climate is subtropical. So they have to worry a lot less about startup wear from acidic compounds as a by product of the combustion engine on a cold day...

In any case I'll take a 0W-20 using (mostly) GTL or POA combined with ester than whatever 5W-30 is offered up in the great republic of Mexico.

I also recall Japan being the gold "thicker oil" standard with comparisons up until less than a decade ago when they went ever thinner than the US...
Considering the problem (if any) with "thinner" oils is HT/HS, that makes no sense. Base stock isn't going to compensate for an inadequate MOFT.

Considering the problem (if any) with "thinner" oils is HT/HS, that makes no sense. Base stock isn't going to compensate for an inadequate MOFT.
Can you show that Mobil 1 EP/AP 0W-20 has "inadequate MOFT"?
Sure, when you show that the base stock composition is a substitute for it.

I'm not the one making up fake paradigms that cannot be substantiated in any contemporary study and has absolutely no bearing on anything.

But hey, if you feel a potentially Group I, or maybe II, based 5W-30 protects better than say Mobil 1 EP/AP, have at it!

Can you show that Mobil 1 EP/AP 0W-20 has "inadequate MOFT"?
What's the HTHS of Mobil 1 EP/AP 0W-20 ? HTHS is what counts, and has an effect on the MOFT in hot running areas of the engine. HTHS is HTHS (@150C), regardless of the oil formulation.

Mobil doesn't even give KV40 or VI data on lots of their products. Humm ... :censored:

Mobil doesn't even give KV40 or VI data on lots of their products. Humm ... :censored:
100 … VI … MRV
C083A73D-1396-47F8-8DC9-CEC2BFE8CA46.jpg

And they don’t give MRV on thicker brews … they publish what they think is relevant …
Go look at look at EP and AP ... no KV40, VI, MRV, Noack. Slim pickens.

Back