0w20 instead of 5w20 in extreme winters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
Regardless of cold cranking ability, don't 0w-20s require a higher quality base oil than 5w-20? Aren't you likely to have more esters in the 0w and just Group III in the 5w, making 0w the better choice if the two oils cost the same?

Not neccesarily there are 0w20 syn blends out (Motorcraft 0w20)and many 0w20s use a really light base oil to make the 0w and then prop it up with a ton of VIscosity index improvers. Plus the 0w20 is not held to the same deposit formation prevention testing that am5w20 is.
Assuming a 0w20is better formulated than 5w20 is a false premise and likely is entirely the opposite of the truth.

M1 EP 0w-20 and AP 0w-20 being the obvious exceptions here, as we have a very good idea that they are leveraging an almost entirely PAO base blend.

What about GTL basestocks? Is a 0w a "better" quality GTL, or is it all the same?

GTL is GTL and these bases are available in similar grades to PAO. GTL behaves more like VISOM or other Group III's from what I recall, so I'd expect the blending process to be more similar to those. PAO's insane low temp performance comes from a lack of wax, so it is extremely predictable.

Thank you everyone for helping out.
I am convinced now that in winters I can defnitely run 0w20 . I will choose EP over AFE. Bought Mobil1 oW20 EP two jugs yesterday ( one jug as top up. I pour in 4 small bottles)
I am due an oil change this week or next. For that I already have mobil1 5W20 Jug and one small bottle.Currently sitting at 7500kms on this oil.
Now as I will be moving to 0W20 EP from Dec, I was thinking why not go to 0W20 from now on. I am thinking to do 9 months OCI ( bit uneasy to go directly 12 months from current 6 months)
But I can not retrun the 5W20 Jug ( it has been more than 90 days that I bought it)
Can I do an oil change with 0W20 and use my 5W20 as top up?
If I go to EP , I would defnitely like to go 9 months assuming this is very good oil. every 6 months change in such an old car seems overkill to me now.
in 10 years, if I fo 9 monhts OCI , it will save me 7 oil changes over 6 months OCI. My driving is never over 8000kms in 6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back