0w20 instead of 5w20 in extreme winters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
moved from Toronto to Winnipeg . Winters here are brutal. sometimes -35 or even -40 deg celcius.
car is 2003 honda accord 160k kms ( 100k miles)
I always put mobil1 5w20.
should I run 0w20 in winters to give extra protection at cold starts?
right now both mobil1 extended performance and advanced fuel economy are on sale in 0w20 weight and price is almost same as my 5w20.
any thoughts?
-35 or -40 does not last for months though.
my user manual says to use 5w20 and it shows a chart which covers range from -30 deg cel to +40 deg celcius.

In winterpeg a 0w20 would be fine for year round service. if i presume correctly the 0w only really starts to outperform the 5w after minus 35 so even it would still suit you fine.

Last edited:
Why did you have to mention Winter already? Just kidding....Same price...buy buy buy and save it for winter.

I would think that would be a perfect example of when to use 0w-20 as a substitute for 5w-20.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Why 5w-20's pour point is minus 43?

It’s not an exact science. With temperatures that cold it’s best to be on the safe side.

I started the Borman6 at -17 F with an engine full 10w40 dino. Y'all worry too much.
grin2.gif

The 2003 Accord (both 4 cyl and V-6) is the oldest year Accord that Honda has back specced for use of 0w-20. I have the color chart but can't figure out how to post it here. You may be able to find it via Google.

Yes, you can use 0w-20 with the approval of HMC.

Might pour at -43 but a what rate?

Originally Posted By: asker123
Hi,
moved from Toronto to Winnipeg . Winters here are brutal. sometimes -35 or even -40 deg celcius.
car is 2003 honda accord 160k kms ( 100k miles)
I always put mobil1 5w20.
right now both mobil1 extended performance and advanced fuel economy are on sale in 0w20 weight and price is almost same as my 5w20.
any thoughts?
-35 or -40 does not last for months though.
my user manual says to use 5w20 and it shows a chart which covers range from -30 deg cel to +40 deg celcius.

It will be fine, In 2003 the 0W... did yet exist, that's why you have a 5W..

Originally Posted By: Pelican

It will be fine, In 2003 the 0W... did yet exist, that's why you have a 5W..

But it exists now

Why not? Pour point is not a reliable indicator of cold-cranking performance. In fact it’s not an indicator of much of anything in regards to an oil’s performance. Sometimes an indicator of base stock but that’s about it.

Originally Posted By: asker123

0W won’t give “extra protection” on cold starts. It will assist starting in extremely cold temperatures.

Negligible difference, probably less of a variable than battery health. Battery health will affect cranking speed in the cold far more than 5w vs 0w. But if it’s cheaper than by all means!

Originally Posted By: 69Torino
Negligible difference, probably less of a variable than battery health. Battery health will affect cranking speed in the cold far more than 5w vs 0w. But if it’s cheaper than by all means!

Depends entirely on how cold it is.

The entire purpose of the CCS test is to qualify an oil's performance relative to the established limit for a given W rating, that is, a maximum viscosity limit at which the cranking speed is affected.

So, if it's -35C and your 5w-20 passed the -30C limit at 5,800cP, it would be ~11,600cP, well above the threshold. On the other hand, the 0w-20 would have to be below the cut-off. And that assumes the 5w-20 didn't hit its gel point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back