0w16 options?

This batch of TGMO 0W-20 SN with high moly content (different than mine with lower moly content) showed an oxidation value of 18.9, clearly indicating that ExxonMobil uses a polyol ester (POE) base stock in TGMO to improve engine cleaning according to Toyota's specific blending demands to reduce piston-oil-drain-hole-clogging deposits.

Toyota's other specific TGMO blending demands include a ZDDP content near the ILSAC upper phosphorus limit (800 pm) for better wear protection, a very high moly content (~ 600–700 ppm molybdenum) for improved fuel economy, and a high boron-dispersant content (~ 200 ppm boron) for better low-temperature-sludge protection. In contrast, ExxonMobil uses a light, lean additive package in Mobil 1.

Last edited:
This batch of TGMO 0W-20 SN with high moly content (different than mine with lower moly content) showed an oxidation value of 18.9, clearly indicating that ExxonMobil uses a polyol ester (POE) base stock in TGMO to improve engine cleaning according to Toyota's blending demands to reduce ring-hole-clogging deposits.

Toyota's other TGMO blending demands include a ZDDP content near the ILSAC upper phosphorus limit (800 pm) for better wear protection, a very high moly content (~ 600–700 ppm molybdenum) for improved fuel economy, and a high boron-dispersant content (~ 200 ppm boron) for better low-temperature-sludge protection. In contrast, ExxonMobil uses a light, lean additive package in Mobil 1.
They also unfortunately use very light bases and a lot of VII. ~10% is a lot of VII in a 0W-20, particularly compared to the others on your spreadsheet.

They also unfortunately use very light bases and a lot of VII. ~10% is a lot of VII in a 0W-20, particularly compared to the others on your spreadsheet.
That's an ExxonMobil 1 thing—Mobil 1 also has a high VII content.

That said, the ultra-high-VI TGMO 0W-20 SN was the thinnest oil ever—as thin as a SAE 0W-8. I think they have reduced the VI content and VI now. The ultra-high VI was also due to specific Toyota demands as an additional measure to improve the fuel economy.

That's an ExxonMobil 1 thing—Mobil 1 also has a high VII content.
The AFE does (though not as high as TGMO), but the EP and AP oils didn't.
That said, the ultra-high-VI TGMO 0W-20 SN was the thinnest oil ever—as thin as a SAE 0W-8. I think they have reduced the VI content and VI now. The ultra-high VI was also due to specific Toyota demands as an additional measure to improve the fuel economy.
Yes, IIRC, the Japanese version was blended the same way, as far as I'm aware, Mobil just blends whatever Toyota wants. Would be interesting to see if that changed in more recent versions.

I change the oil in my 2021 SE every 5K miles and have been watching the oil like a hawk (13,500 miles on it now). Like many of you, I was "scrared shirtless" of using 0W16 because it's "too thin." Turns out, there is nothing to worry about. It came from the factory not quite 1/4" over full. I live in warm climate and my average trip is over 10 miles and it uses ZERO oil between changes. All service done at dealer (same as my 09V6 that had 135K) and I specify genuine Toyota 0W16 from the bottle and they gladly let me watch (they've known me for over 12 years). They recommended using the full five quarts and sure enough, both times, it went to the exact same spot as it was over the full mark as it came from the factory. Just letting you all know for peace of mind that the 0W16 works just fine. The car has been flawless in virtually every respect ... including the seamless shifts of the eight speed automatic transmission. [Kudos to Bob Tyler Toyota; Pensacola, FL]

Last edited:
I change the oil in my 2021 SE every 5K miles and have been watching the oil like a hawk (13,500 miles on it now). Like many of you, I was "scrared shirtless" of using 0W16 because it's "too thin." Turns out, there is nothing to worry about. It came from the factory not quite 1/4" over full. I live in warm climate and my average trip is over 10 miles and it uses ZERO oil between changes. All service done at dealer (same as my 09V6 that had 135K) and I specify genuine Toyota 0W16 from the bottle and they gladly let me watch (they've known me for over 12 years). They recommended using the full five quarts and sure enough, both times, it went to the exact same spot as it was over the full mark as it came from the factory. Just letting you all know for peace of mind that the 0W16 works just fine. The car has been flawless in virtually every respect ... including the seamless shifts of the eight speed automatic transmission. [Kudos to Bob Tyler Toyota; Pensacola, FL]
Same, have a 2020 SE at 25,XXX and been using 0w-16 and OEM filter for 4 changes and hasn't burned a drop. Overall mileage right around 35 mpg and drives smooth with a quiet idle

Heard back:

We are following up on your request for add-on testing for virgin oil.

Here is the pricing to add these tests.
  • Viscosity at 40 is $13.30
  • TAN is $16.00
That comes to about $70, which is almost three times what WearCheck charges. You can get all that and probably more (such as sulfation and nitration) with WearCheck for about $24.

Eneos 0w16 Here
My local dealer has $35 oil change special!!
34E4BAFC-A4EF-488E-A2E4-4DC5A8312106.jpg

Change every 5k and not worry too much.

What is the reason Toyota that requires 0w-16 says if you use 0w-20 than you need to change oil every 5k miles instead of 10k? Is it purely CAFE compliance, or GF-6b has something that lets oil last longer?

I know that a lot of peoples opinion is that they can get away with giving the car a better mpg rating. Who knows. I’m sure 0W20 is just fine.

The “car care nut” claims that the variable pressure oil pump is calibrated to work with 0w-16. There are not that many choices for 0w-16 and at one point it was difficult to find any, maybe thats why they putting this language…

I work in parts at a Toyota dealer. We use an OEM filter and bulk TGMO for all oil changes.
Most on here don't seem to know but TGMO is available in drums and tanker deliveries.
We get bulk deliveries of TGMO 0w16 and 0w20.
We get drums of 5w30 and 5w20 since we don't go through a lot anymore.
Might not hurt to call the parts department at your local dealer and find out what they use for their oil changes.

Incredible how a pump can be "calibrated" to work with both thousands of cP and single digits while not properly handling other oils well within that same viscosity spread... :unsure:
Do you know why toyota manual says that you can use 0w-20 instead of 0w-16 but OCI must be 5k miles instead of 10k (which is what they recommend for 0w-16). This is all a mystery to me.

Do you know why toyota manual says that you can use 0w-20 instead of 0w-16 but OCI must be 5k miles instead of 10k (which is what they recommend for 0w-16). This is all a mystery to me.
Likely legaleze to ensure you have the oil the CAFE rating was achieved on in the pan. This is the same company that has stated in many manuals that a heavier viscosity oil may be more appropriate for towing and other high load conditions.

Last edited:
I work in parts at a Toyota dealer. We use an OEM filter and bulk TGMO for all oil changes.
Most on here don't seem to know but TGMO is available in drums and tanker deliveries.
We get bulk deliveries of TGMO 0w16 and 0w20.
We get drums of 5w30 and 5w20 since we don't go through a lot anymore.
Might not hurt to call the parts department at your local dealer and find out what they use for their oil changes.

Id use TGMO, but it seems to cost more than Mobil1 and its not clear if it will offer any additional benefit over M1? Not sure if I saw someone mentioning that Mobil1 actually makes TGMO oil for Toyota?

Incredible how a pump can be "calibrated" to work with both thousands of cP and single digits while not properly handling other oils well within that same viscosity spread... :unsure:
I think he was saying that once engine is at certain temperature, the pump expects (programmed) oil to have certain viscosity. If its not, it may not properly lubricate/flow. He only had this caution for new style of oil pumps they use in toyota hybrids and few others. He is not a dumb guy.

Back