0w16 for new hybrid

Those hybrids I think have high pressure injection, its good for efficiency but can also lead to fuel contamination in the oil, you should change it every 7,000 miles and smell the oil for gas contamination, if it does not smell like gas go for 10k, these oils are almost detergent based, so it shouldn't be a big issue.

All GDI engines have a high pressure injection system.

these oils are almost detergent based, so it shouldn't be a big issue.

This needs more explanation.

Attachments

• m1st.PNG
    m1st.PNG
    24.5 KB · Views: 86
Hence the reason it was in quotes. But GTMO 0/16 does seem like a robust juice from VOAs posted around here.

I have no dog in the fight as I don't have anything spec'd for 0/16 nor am I particularly 1 brand loyal
Please fill us in with your expertise on VOA oil performance analysis. - Like how did you get there and why are so many getting it wrong etc.:p

Looks like every other oil out there. That is a standard additive package.

Also, aluminum engines have been around for quite a while now. They are the standard, not the exception.
It has elevated levels of boron, phosphor, and zinc, Im not sure if its standard for mobil 1 or not.

There still aren't many that don't have cast iron liners. Other than the pistons where is that aluminum coming from? The bearings?

Are we looking at different analysis reports? The one that was linked shows 0 aluminum.

I know pistons are aluminum now. Bearings I don’t know. They usually are made of various metals.

I don't think they have it in EP, but 0w-16 AFE is like 70-80% PAO according to the SDS, so it's essentially an EP oil.
I was skeptical, but you are correct about the MSDS (y)

a small excerpt:

Product Name: MOBIL 1 0W-16 Revision Date: 05 Feb 2020 Page 2 of 11

1-DECENE, HOMOPOLYMER HYDROGENATED
68037-01-4 70 - < 80% H304

2-PENTANOL, 4-METHYL-, HYDROGEN PHOSPHORODITHIOATE, ZINC SALT
2215-35-2 0.1 - < 1% H303, H315, H318, H401, H411

DISTILLATES, HEAVY, C18-50 - BRANCHED, CYCLIC AND LINEAR 848301-69-9 10 - < 20% H304

PHOSPHORODITHIOIC ACID, MIXED 0,0 BIS (1,3-DIMETHYLBUTYL AND ISO-PR)ESTERS, ZINC SALTS
84605-29-8 0.1 - < 1% H303, H315, H318, H401,

Please fill us in with your expertise on VOA oil performance analysis. - Like how did you get there and why are so many getting it wrong

At what point in my posts did I claim to be an expert? Or tell me where I said anyone was "getting it wrong". I clearly stated that the info I was giving was based on info from this site in the VOA forum posted by others. Some "experts" around here chubb up when they see Moly. So I pointed that out.

May I suggest you focus on reading comprehension....as you're clearing lacking in that skill.

Some of you folks really need to get
out from behind the keyboard and experience some other aspects of life. May I suggest a girlfriend for example.

It's oil for god sake. 99.99% population couldn't care any less about it

Are we looking at different analysis reports? The one that was linked shows 0 aluminum.

I know pistons are aluminum now. Bearings I don’t know. They usually are made of various metals.
Many basic DOHC with with lashed inverted bucket tappets use plain bearings with no liners or shells for the cam journals.

I would guess they spec a high Si and Cu content AL alloy like 356 or 351 Aluminum.
Though there may be improved alloys required with exhaust manifold now being cast-in-head

Like the Pentastar and GM 3.6L

- Ken

When I leased a Prius in 2015 their package included only 20k miles changes, but smth like inspection and tire rotation every 10k miles. Def check if you’re getting your oil changed with such a “package”

At what point in my posts did I claim to be an expert? Or tell me where I said anyone was "getting it wrong". I clearly stated that the info I was giving was based on info from this site in the VOA forum posted by others. Some "experts" around here chubb up when they see Moly. So I pointed that out.

May I suggest you focus on reading comprehension....as you're clearing lacking in that skill.

Some of you folks really need to get
out from behind the keyboard and experience some other aspects of life. May I suggest a girlfriend for example.

It's oil for god sake. 99.99% population couldn't care any less about it
Ha ha.

all this arguing about a weasel wee oil with engine-killing HTHS.

But, It is a traditional synthetic - one of just a couple in Mobil's M1 PCMO stable.

Should promise to be LOUD and FAST !

Ha ha.

all this arguing about a weasel wee oil with engine-killing HTHS.

But, It is a traditional synthetic - one of just a couple in Mobil's M1 PCMO stable.

Should promise to be LOUD and FAST !

There is absolutely no arguing about oil on my part. The argument is being fabricated by others. I personally could not possibly care any less. However, if there's one thing I've learned after 3 years of visiting this site is that every single oil thread is essentially an argument. And at it's most fundamental level it's usually the same tired group of people getting into a di*k swinging contest over things, that at the end of the day, don't matter.

It's so easy to see why so many people are turned off by this site.

My new Toyota Hybrid specs 0w16. Included is 2 years of free oil changes, but at every 10k miles.
I may do it myself instead of waiting hours at dealership for the 2 free changes.

l plan to use Mobil-1 as it is readily available in 5 quart jugs at reasonable prices in that viscosity and meets all specs. Any reason not to use M1?

What about the recommended 10k intervals? I am planning on going the distance, but am open to hearing other suggestions for or against this.

Such an oddball specification sounds like attempted monopolization on the part of the manufacturer to me.

Not at all another 5w-20 vs. 5w-30 thread discussion.

There is absolutely no arguing about oil on my part. The argument is being fabricated by others. I personally could not possibly care any less. However, if there's one thing I've learned after 3 years of visiting this site is that every single oil thread is essentially an argument. And at it's most fundamental level it's usually the same tired group of people getting into a di*k swinging contest over things, that at the end of the day, don't matter.

It's so easy to see why so many people are turned off by this site.
Not blaming you, just my thread observation. Mr Tundra, your antagonist, must be in a mood.

Carry on! With passion!

Back