0W 20 vs 5W 30 in a 2017 Mazda 3

I daily a 2017 Mazda 3 iSport hatchback. It is time for another oil change and I brain farted on what weight oil so I pulled out the owners manual (online) and according to it I should use 0W20 in the USA, Canada and Puerto Rico but outside of those areas I should use 5W30. I can only imagine that is due to fuel economy standards. Any other thoughts?

I daily a 2017 Mazda 3 iSport hatchback. It is time for another oil change and I brain farted on what weight oil so I pulled out the owners manual (online) and according to it I should use 0W20 in the USA, Canada and Puerto Rico but outside of those areas I should use 5W30. I can only imagine that is due to fuel economy standards. Any other thoughts?
For Mazda North America USA, Canada and Puerto Rico all follow CAFE regulations. Mexico does not follow CAFE. The 5w-30 for Mexico in your OM is API SM rating, there is not a specific stated API rating but needs ILSAC seal for our area. I can only speculate on why Mexico is different. Oil availability, severe service, CAFE, exc. Around the world the 5w-30 shows up but the oil service interval is longer. Also Japan and North America (except Mexico) oil formulation is made by Idemitsu and the 0w-20 is loaded with dinuclear moly. That factory installed oil (0w-20) ships around the world but for Europe another Mazda oil made by Total (0w-20 and 5w-30) is used after the break in. If you buy a Mazda with a turbo the oil used is 5w-30 and does not have that high dinuclear moly.

For Mazda North America USA, Canada and Puerto Rico all follow CAFE regulations. Mexico does not follow CAFE. The 5w-30 for Mexico in your OM is API SM rating, there is not a specific stated API rating but needs ILSAC seal for our area. I can only speculate on why Mexico is different. Oil availability, severe service, CAFE, exc. Around the world the 5w-30 shows up but the oil service interval is longer. Also Japan and North America (except Mexico) oil formulation is made by Idemitsu and the 0w-20 is loaded with dinuclear moly. That factory installed oil (0w-20) ships around the world but for Europe another Mazda oil made by Total (0w-20 and 5w-30) is used after the break in. If you buy a Mazda with a turbo the oil used is 5w-30 and does not have that high dinuclear moly.
Thank you very much for actually answering my question.

I already bought some 0w-20 for the Mazda and will run it until the next oil change which will probably be April or May and I will probably change to something thicker at that time. Probably 5W-30 but I am not sure then. As for the rest of my vehicles I have a Dodge Diesel truck that gets 15W-40 Rotella T5 and a pair of track cars.

Back