0w-20 or 5w-20

Which would you choose? Guess the question is how important is it to reduce the VII as far as wear or mileage? When my warranty expires considering going from 0w20 to 5w20. Your view?

Here are a few threads to get you started, sorry if I included a duplicate. There are so many threads on this topic:

Which would you choose? Guess the question is how important is it to reduce the VII as far as wear or mileage? When my warranty expires considering going from 0w20 to 5w20. Your view?
Try a "thick" 0w-20 like Mobil AFE or PU, both are 8.8 vis. .02

Without knowing the car, the mileage, how it's driven, anything is a guess. My guess is it won't make a noticeable difference.
It is a 2019 Mazda Miata. Around the world there is different viscosities per to OM, the North American Mazda OM only recommends 0w-20 except for Mexico and they recommend 5w30 (in 2022 changed to 10w-30)

Here are a few threads to get you started, sorry if I included a duplicate. There are so many threads on this topic:

/thread

This is like deja vu all over again.
I agree but let me discuss my pre conceived view… Used to think a 0w rated oil meant the base oil was a higher quality than a 5w oil… Maybe I am incorrect in my thinking, what say you? And kschachn has brought up some valuable threads on this subject… Thanks.

It is interesting to note some 0W's have been as thick, and even thicker, than some 5W's at operating temp. It makes the 5W seem a complete waste, except for people "following the manual".

I tend to favor the lesser spread (5W-20) as it usually uses a higher viscosity base oil, uses less VII, is less volatile, and a higher HTHS/HTFS. I would consider the 0W-20 only if I was having to start it in temps below 0°F.

A life question-
Are there any ever new threads of just rehash of old ones......has every song note been written...and new songs are just notes re-arranged?

I tend to favor the lesser spread (5W-20) as it usually uses a higher viscosity base oil, uses less VII, is less volatile, and a higher HTHS/HTFS. I would consider the 0W-20 only if I was having to start it in temps below 0°F.
Southern California here... Totally agree with you.

A life question-
Are there any ever new threads of just rehash of old ones......has every song note been written...and new songs are just notes re-arranged?
But we always have a different answer. It is on the internet too but I like to ask here.

I run PUP 0w20 in winter and RP HPS 5w20 in summer. No reason, just got a bunch of RP left over from last car. Engine is less noisey with the RP, and smoother.

It won't make a warranty difference before it's expiration date. Use what you want. You could use 5w30 and not affect your warranty. In SoCal you could run a 10w30 and be fine. (If you could find it).

Back