0W-20 in a 97 Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 97 Accord calls for 5W-30. I have used M1 5W-30 from when the car was new. I just put in M1 0W-20 by mistake and think I will leave it in...any thoughts? Since the M1 5W-30 is thin anyhow. I dont think it will hurt.

Its the 4 cyl. I drive 20 miles to work. With 85000 miles on it.
With 40+ qts of oil in the garage cabinet. Most of it 0W-20 for our Pilot, I just grabbed the wrong oil...

IMHO, if it isn't making any bad sounding noises and the low oil pressure never comes on, I'd leave it in.

Then do a UOA at the next OCI. I'm sure a lot of BITOG members would love to see it.

good lord, 0w20 for a 3.5L pilot?

wierd.

All the Honda's call for 5W-20 now. I was not a believer until I read all the UOA's on this board.

I believe Honda approved 5w-20 as backwards compatable on some Honda engines ... or maybe not? I'm certain Ford did this for their cars.

shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
crushedcar.gif
crushedcar.gif

Hahahahaha Just kidding.
wink.gif
Leave it in as long as you don't notice any unusual sounds.

If you get the least bit concerned.. Let a quart or so drain out and add a botttle of 15W-50.

Is it the 4 cyl or V6? How many miles on it? Lot of short trips or long trips?

And how and the heck do you not notice what kind of oil you're putting in your engine?

M1 Ow-20 workin' just dandy in my 4cyl. Honda...Please leave it in...Do a UOA if ya don't mind...let us all in on the results!
grin.gif

The Mobil 1 spec sheet describes their 0w-20 as their year-round OEM replacement oil for Ford/Honda/Mazda 5w-20 rides. M-1 0w-20 isn't just a cold weather lube, but a summer lube as well for those rides, with none of the other M-1 lubes described as a replacement for 5w-20. Knowing this, I'd think it unlikely to cause any problems during this one-time mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back