09 sonata michelin energy mxv4 tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi everyone just got an 09 sonata gls 4 cyl it comes with michelin tires i live where there are hills and lots of snow does anyone know if these tires are any good does anyone have them?

Not very good in snow. My grandpa had them on his Continental and we replaced them at 25,000 because the winters here made them scary.

Get a cheap steel wheel+snow tire set from Tire Rack and then you can still keep and use the Michelins in the good weather!

I concur with drewjp. I had them as OEM tires on an Accord. Their snow traction wasn't the greatest. One of the worst tires I've ever had, overall.

Definitely consider getting a set of dedicated winter tires.

Not really while the snow part is not very good. I have 80000 on my 2007 Honda Accord with these tires the v rated and they are now ready to be replaced. Down to abour 3 to 4 32nds of tread. I have been very pleased with these OEM tires. I will replace them with the Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires...by the way still original front and back brakes also...

very soft compound wears very fast, when worn half way down which was 26k miles in my case (honda) it was bad in snow.
went to michelin x-one, much better wear rating, and I never rotate, so the fronts wear down and in nov I put in new tires in front only and with 4 nearly new tires

Originally Posted By: stockrex
very soft compound wears very fast, when worn half way down which was 26k miles in my case

You consider that fast wear? Heh... my tires are usually done by the time I hit 20k miles. :)

Had them on my wife's Acura 3.2TL that I bought new. They were just OK in the snow, but they went out of round (the wobble couldn't be balanced out) at around 32k km's and I had to buy a whole set of new tires. Michelin offered a pro-rated buy on the exact same tire and I thought that would be pointless, so I just bought some toyo Proxes TPT's. They were far worse in the snow, so a few months later I also had to buy a dedicated set of wheels and winter tires.

I guess I'll say I wasn't too pleased with them.

What is the tire size? Michelin has a number of "types" of this tire, even though they all might say "Energy MXV4". For example, I've read a lot of reports of these wearing down quickly on some cars. I had them on an '01 Cadillac STS and they wore like iron. Could barely get them to slip either. Hit the go-pedal and the car just sat down and WENT.

I do, however, agree with the idea to get a set of winter tires. No all season tire is going to equal the performance of a good winter tire.

Originally Posted By: jc1990
hi everyone just got an 09 sonata gls 4 cyl it comes with michelin tires i live where there are hills and lots of snow does anyone know if these tires are any good does anyone have them?

Had Energy MXV4 Plus on my old Golf TDI. Not good braking in the snow down small hills.

Get a set of dedicated wheels & snow tires for winter. Your life will thank you

I have them on my new Sienna, and would not recommend them for any state with rain or snow. The traction on a wet boat ramp is very poor, I have pulled out of the same ramp 4 days a week for 15 years in a near- commercial operation.

My much lighter Lumina minivan with Yokohama TRZ's easily outpulls it in those conditions. I also suspect that the T rated tires, pumped to there 44 lb limit have lower rolling resistance then the 36 lb Michelins.

The best way to better mileage/lower rolling resistance is through more pressure, not through harder rubber.

For occasional travel in the Snow Belt, the MXV4's would be okay. But the idea of buying dedicated snow tires and mounting them on steel wheels for the winter is a good one.

I've driven in some nasty snow with the MXV4's, even across Colorado during one of the larger blizzards in many years, and made it okay. But I'm sure a less-skilled driver could have gotten in deep trouble.

Hello stockrex. I think new tires should be mounted on the rear. I remember seeing a video explaining how the rear tires will lose traction first. If I can find the video, I'll post it.

Originally Posted By: Jerryb
Hello stockrex. I think new tires should be mounted on the rear. I remember seeing a video explaining how the rear tires will lose traction first. If I can find the video, I'll post it.

You are correct --- FWD or RWD doesn't matter, your best tires go in the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back