08 Mustang GT recomended oil and change interval?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: o0Dan0o
I also forgot to mention that I use Bosch filters, I have read that they are high quality filters with a better flow rate that M1 and manufactured by the same people that make M1 and K&N filters. Any thoughts on the Bosch filters?
Dan

Bosch filters are now made by Purolator, not Champion Laboratories.

I also forgot to mention that I use Bosch filters, I have read that they are high quality filters with a better flow rate that M1 and manufactured by the same people that make M1 and K&N filters. Any thoughts on the Bosch filters?
Dan
I really think you'd be better off with the Motorcraft oil filter. They are pretty well proven in modular motors and you sure can't beat the price.

Your sig. says you are in San Marcos. I'm just south of you in S.A. Take the car out to Marion to the strip and run it and hang out. Most of the Mustangs there seem to run the Motorcraft oil or if not the Mobil 1 in the 5W20 flavor. There's a few diehard thicker is better people around but most Mustang guys(including me) have tried 5W30 etc and so no difference/improvement in power, mileage or whatever. Even if you race the car the 20wt will serve you well. We have several very rode hard parts trucks at work with 400k miles on MC 5W20 and they run great!

I went to Texas State, but am now in Houston. I have gone down to that strip before, but not in a while. I stick with M1 5w-20 then. Thanks again everyone.
Dan

I recently bought a 2010 Mustang GT (still waiting for delivery, as it has to be built since I ordered it with many options), and thought that I'd offer a few pointers.

I've done some extensive research on the topic of oil, since obviously I'm a BITOGer, and I only want the best for my car.

The GT, as it may come as a surprise, doesn't specifically require synthetic oil. If you go to any Mustang forum on the 'net, you'll be bombarded with replies about using Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Pennzoil Platinum, etc. It's somewhat of a misconception among Stang owners. I'm not necessarily knocking this viewpoint, but just wanted to point out that it's not mandatory to use synthetic with this car (unless it's the Cobra, but that's another story). Just check the owner's manual, and you'll see that Ford recommends a 5W-20 that meets their M2C930-A spec for the 4.6L V8 engine found in the GT.

I, on the other hand, will most likely run conventional oil in my Stang, when it will be delivered later this month. I'm going with 5W-20, as this grade is recommended by the owner's manual. What specific brands, you might ask? Pretty much all of them, as long as they meet the M2C930-A spec for Ford (my favorites are Havoline, Exxon Superflo, and Formula Shell). I'm also exclusively using Motorcraft filters, as I feel comfortable using them since they're designed and recommended by Ford.

I might take the car to the track from time-to-time, so in those occasions I'll definitely dump the dino oil and go with a synthetic for extra protection. Obviously I realize that your use will certainly be more demanding that mine, so you would benefit more from a synthetic than someone in my situation (daily driver, commutes 40 miles a day to work in stop-and-go traffic). I thought that I would simply offer another perspective for other Stang owners who drive in conditions similar to me.

By the way, I change my oil every three months regardless (I put on about 3,500 miles in that timeframe), so I'm not worried about extended drains or any build-up in the engine.

Hope this helps, and let's keep the American muscle tradition strong!

Great point JM19, you don't need a synthetic in the GT. In fact, the Motorcraft oils Ford uses are really good at controlling wear.

Originally Posted By: buster
Great point JM19, you don't need a synthetic in the GT. In fact, the Motorcraft oils Ford uses are really good at controlling wear.

I have a nice stash of Motorcraft 5W-20 semi-synthetic ready and waiting to go... :)

The GT comes with the motorcraft semi-syn, which seems to be a solid oil. I just don't mind paying a little more for M1 or comparable synthetics, and since I change mine roughly every 6 months (5k miles) the cost should about even out.
Dan

Well here's a little experiment for ya.
grin2.gif
I changed my GT out to M1 0W40
shocked2.gif
about a week ago just for grins. This crazy 104+ heat we've been having had me a little worried about the 5W20. Everything I've read about it says its a great oil. Guess what?? The 4.6 loves it!! It is as smooth as glass, quiet as a church mouse and over the course of one tank (300 miles) the mileage is EXACTLY the same as the 5W20. So much for CAFE and thin oils I guess. Now I'm not sure if I'll run it from now on but I probably will stick to 5W30 from now on just for a little heat reserve.
01.gif

The GT comes with the motorcraft semi-syn, which seems to be a solid oil. I just don't mind paying a little more for M1 or comparable synthetics, and since I change mine roughly every 6 months (5k miles) the cost should about even out.
Dan

Are you sure it comes with Motorcraft? I have heard from a credible source on this site that Formula Shell is the factory fill on most Fords.

No, I'm not sure. I have heard it repeated by a lot of people, so I took it (foolishly) as fact. It may not be, but every mustang board I have looked on says the same, when I checked a year ago.

So I think I've decided to move to either AMSOil 0w-30 or redline 0w-30, as they are both on the low side for viscosity, slightly higher than most 5w-20 but lower than most 5w-30. I figure in my climate it is probably a good idea, at least until I get an oil cooler.
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back