08 CRV Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
New to my daughter, a low mile (32k) '08 CRV that will be her daily driver. Clean carfax, it appears that the last owner may have done his own oil changes (looks like last oil change was Amsoil). Any recommendations from those who have owned these before what should be done on it, if anything right away? Thanks

AWD or FWD?

Others will certainly chime in, mostly with great reviews.
Those whom I know that own any year CR-V just love'em!

We've owned a 2008 CR-V for about 28 months now, and have enjoyed the heck out of this car. It's probably my favorite of all the cars I've owned to date. It drives well, handles very neutral, is relatively efficient, and very comfortable for our family of four.

At 32k miles, you don't have much due, but I will make a few recommendations.

(1) A transmission fluid change is not likely required yet (per the Maintenance Minder), but I'd do a drain-and-fill anyway. Lots of information on that in the Transmission sub-forum here. Honda transmissions are super easy to maintain; there is a drain plug at the bottom with a 3/8" square with which you use a 3/8" ratchet to remove. The dipstick tube is about 1" wide at the top, so you fill it with a transmission fluid funnel and that's it. I personally do a drain-and-fill on ours once every 15k miles. A drain gets about three quarts out, so you need to buy three for the fill. Very easy, really.

(2) If this is an AWD model, I'd probably replace the rear end fluid. It takes Honda Genuine Dual Pump II Fluid. You'll need two quarts of that. Like with the transmission, there is a drain plug and a fill plug back there. Very easy to do. If it has AWD, the PTO unit from the transmission is lubricated with the transmission fluid, so there is no separate fluid sump there.

(3) You're nowhere near the miles requirement for the engine coolant, but the car is five years old now, so it might be prudent to assume the coolant has not been drained and to drain that and re-fill it. I'd recommend using the Honda Genuine coolant (blue).

The rest of the fluids are probably fine. If you're an over-maintainer like me, you'd consider bleeding the brakes and getting fresh fluid in there. Honda does recommend this every three years, regardless of miles, but with only 32k miles, this can probably wait. It's very easy to take a turkey baster and evacuate the power steering pump reservoir and re-fill with fresh fluid. I do this with ours every 15k miles, on the same schedule as the transmission fluid. Use the Honda Genuine power steering fluid from the dealer; it's not expensive at all.

Else, it's a pretty simple car that should serve your family for many miles and years to come.

You could do all of the stuff Jason suggested and none of it would hurt but in actuality at 32k she should just get in and drive. We used to have a '10 CR-V and it was a great car (except the OE Continental tires with manufacturing defects which we replaced with Yokohama), it seemed like a trusty friend ready for whatever: huge loads of junk, moving, long trips, deep snow (which it was excellent in). If I had to pick one thing to do, I'd do the rear-end fluid if it's an AWD model. Good luck!

I would do the same thing with any used car I bought.

1. Change oil and all the fluids.

2. Look up the most recent major service milestone and see if the dealer has a record of it being done. If not, do that too. In your case there is probably a service milestone at 30K.

I have an '08 as well, pretty happy with it. My original battery, a no-name black box, only made it 4 years before it was cranking very poorly in the cold. Might get yours load tested soon, mine failed miserably. Make sure you got the radio code handy before you unhook the battery.

Brakes get rusty quickly in road salt, and there's a TSB to do periodic greasing of the pad guides and caliper pins. Just had to do mine after one brake got stuck and started dragging. I believe Honda suggested doing this annually. From what I see doing it annually, it's not a bad idea.

Last edited:
Those are good cars. Sounds like a nice fine.

My thoughts mirror what others have said: change those drivetrain fluids and get the 30k service done if it wasn't already completed. Seeing as how winter is coming, it wouldn't hurt to get the battery tested for CCA at your local auto parts store (free).

Good advice from these BITOGers. Hokiefyd iinfo is on the mark. Took the same advice a while back.

I also purchased winter tires with their own Honda rims and use the changeover to do brake fluids and lube of the pins. My original Conti Contacts 4x4 were just changed out at 27k for Michelin Defenders.

A vehicle easy for the DIYer to maintain.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm a a DIY'er so I will change out fluids, mainly for peace of mind, over the next 6 months. It has new tires and it's AWD which my daughter needs in the winter. Good advice on the battery, I hadn't thought about that.

What tires does it have? It used to be hard to find decent tires in this size (225/65R17), but they're getting more common. A number of vehicles now take this size, including this Honda, the Toyota RAV4, the Dodge Journey, the Mopar minivans, etc (each depending on specific trim).

Originally Posted By: edvanp
The new tires are Michelin Defenders.

My in-laws have them on their 2011 CR-V. I really like those tires. Let us know how they do this winter. Even on the bald OEM Continentals my in-laws had last winter, that CR-V can really tear up some snow. I hope we get some this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back