‘07 Grand Marquis 4.6L | Valvoline Blend DP 5W20 - 4,809 miles

Hi, guys! My latest UOA on my ‘07 Grand Marquis LS. Wear metals stayed consistent, but they noticed some extra fuel this time around. Is this anything I should worry about? Blackstone does not seem to think I should be. Thanks, for any info!
385C798E-D96D-4B30-8EAF-37309563E33B.jpeg

Also, if anyone is interested: Here is the oil filter from the same run, cut open. FL820S.

Attachments

• 925E2385-DCEA-47EF-988F-ECD9C68A8DC6.jpeg
    925E2385-DCEA-47EF-988F-ECD9C68A8DC6.jpeg
    94.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 5FC4ABA8-4E01-4568-9D00-21FDCBA920CE.jpeg
    5FC4ABA8-4E01-4568-9D00-21FDCBA920CE.jpeg
    92.7 KB · Views: 36
  • CF7C40A5-A0C9-4B79-8E89-F0027B33D221.jpeg
    CF7C40A5-A0C9-4B79-8E89-F0027B33D221.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 36
I used to run that same engine for 15,000 miles on one oil filter and 5w20 oil. Insolubles went down from 0.4 to 0.3 to 0.2 if I'm remembering correctly. Cut open the filter, it looked just like this one. These were all highway miles at 65-75 mph. It had a lifter tick that quieted down with one run of Auto-RX....one of the old cleaning products from over a decade ago.

I used to run that same engine for 15,000 miles on one oil filter and 5w20 oil. Insolubles went down from 0.4 to 0.3 to 0.2 if I'm remembering correctly. Cut open the filter, it looked just like this one. These were all highway miles at 65-75 mph. It had a lifter tick that quieted down with one run of Auto-RX....one of the old cleaning products from over a decade ago.
Thanks, for your reply! I love this engine and how it performs. Not a rocket, but it's solid.

People say these engines are typically easy on oil, but the fuel dilution showing up on mine after less than 5k, kind of makes me nervous. Maybe I'm overreacting. I just thought it was peculiar. I rarely short trip it. Runs great, though.

Yep, youve been dumping perfectly good oil.
Those engines are legendary for longevity, minimal wear and being easy on oil.
Yours looks like no exception by your UOAs.
I’d probably run 8to10k if it were me. What your doing certainly isn’t hurting anything though.

Thanks, for your reply! I love this engine and how it performs. Not a rocket, but it's solid.

People say these engines are typically easy on oil, but the fuel dilution showing up on mine after less than 5k, kind of makes me nervous. Maybe I'm overreacting. I just thought it was peculiar. I rarely short trip it. Runs great, though.
Oh, I neglected to mention, I was going 5000 miles between oil changes...I just left the filter on for 3 intervals. Miles were nearly 100% highway.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I really am amazed at how the iron doesn't seem to move, or the aluminum, even if I push it to 5k miles. Maybe it's because I baby this thing, so much. I'm sure I could probably extend it, but I'm afraid of gumming up the oil control rings and creating an oil burner. IDK if that would happen, but I plan to keep my interval cut-off limit at 5k, just to be safe. OCD stuff, lol.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I really am amazed at how the iron doesn't seem to move, or the aluminum, even if I push it to 5k miles. Maybe it's because I baby this thing, so much. I'm sure I could probably extend it, but I'm afraid of gumming up the oil control rings and creating an oil burner. IDK if that would happen, but I plan to keep my interval cut-off limit at 5k, just to be safe. OCD stuff, lol.
I don't believe the 4.6 engine is especially hard on oil.

The white bottles are synthetic blend now? Wow, I've been out of the loop. :oops:
Yeah, it's been a few years (I think) since they started doing this. I don't believe they make the "Premium Conventional" stuff, anymore.

Fuel could be many short trips not allowing oil to get hot enough to burn off fuel.
This car almost never gets short tripped. I will say that right before the oil change, I started it up that morning and it was missing on cylinder 4. Threw a code for it, as well. This was about an hour before the oil change. I don't know why it did it. I'm afraid the fuel dilution might be indicative of a transient hung open injector that caused the misfire. Hopefully not.

Fine looking wear on that UOA, as expected from a 4.6L 2v.
You can EASILY extend your oil/filter changes out to 10k miles. That was my standard run and I always got good results with low wear.
Love those Panther cars!

UOA looks good. No doubt the misfire you mentioned contributed to the fuel dilution.
Yeah, I agree. I just hope it didn't damage anything in the motor. The cylinder was completely dead for about 10 seconds and then just went away. I've been monitoring mode $06 since then and hasn't misfired a single time.

Back