'07 Dodge Caliber- need spark plug recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time to change the spark plugs in my Dodge Caliber. I've been out of the spark plug market for some time. Many years ago, I always used Autolites, but the playing field seems much different today.

I'm looking for something with long life to reduce maintenance tasks while still running smoothly. Chrysler recommends new plugs every 30K miles. I saw some Bosch at Walmart that get 4x the factory spec'd lifespan (I think), but I have never used them. They also had multiple prongs (electrodes I think is the correct term) and needed no gapping.

Anyway, anyone have any replacement plug recommendations? Thanks!
smile.gif

OEM on your vehicle is a copper spark plug. I recommend NGK V Power if you want to stick to OEM recommendations. Should last at least 30k if not more. If you would like to upgrade, then I suggest NGK Iridium IX spark plugs, with BOSCH OE IRIDIUM FINEWIRE being the economy option.

Chrysler still uses copper plugs, usually Champion. Copper plugs are good for 30k, platinum for 60k, and iridium for 100k.

Autolites are made in China now in addition to, or replacing, Mexico. Many Champions are made there as well, but their iridium plugs are US-made, and on rebate now.

Are the plugs difficult to replace on the Caliber?

Most platinum and iridium spark plugs don't need to be gapped, and cannot be gapped anyway due to the delicate electrodes.

I'd pick the NGK G-Power (platinum). Still an upgrade over stock, and inexpensive as well.

My second choice would be Champion platinum, which you can get for almost free after rebate. The iridiums are also worth considering for the long life.

I'd personally stick with oem coppers. The conductivity of copper is much better than platinum or iridium. They're also much cheaper.
As for Bosch, a lot of people will say they're junk and to not touch them with a 10 foot pole. Ive never used them in any of my vehicles in the past but I did put some in my girlfriends civic and they were just fine.

I've played around with spark plugs in the past... but now, unless there's some sort of an issue, I just get the same plug new, and put the same thing back in.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Are the plugs difficult to replace on the Caliber?

Looks pretty straightforward... My only confusion is the plug's actual torque spec. I think he is referring to the plug itself when he said they should be torqued to 15-20 ft-lbs, but doesn't actually use a torque wrench when tightening the plug?!?

Looks like the NGK V-Power ZFR5F-11 is the OEM replacement copper plug. I'm reading some negative things about the conductivity of platinum and iridium plugs vs copper. Seems the trade-off is better performance from copper, but shorter service life. Platinum and iridium offer longer service life, but not as good conductivity, and thus spottier performance, especially in cold weather.

Is that truly the trade-off with copper vs iridium/platinum? I like lower maintenance and longer service life, but not at the expense of the plugs acting up.

Yeah copper has better conductivity and shorter life, but quality platinum and iridium plugs will perform just fine. Remember, virtually everyone other than Chrysler uses OE platinum or iridium now. Toyota and Honda have been using iridium for about 10 years now with no issues. They have used platinum OE plugs for at least 20 years, no issue.

Good, name-brand plugs will NOT act up and will be fine for their entire service life.

The NGK G-Power will have no problems at all. Use the G-Powers and enjoy the doubled service life. Whether copper, platinum, or iridium, NGK makes great spark plugs!

As far as conductivity and performance Copper > iridium > platinum. Service life is iridium > platinum > copper
Honestly unless the plugs are a colossal pita to change I would just go with the oem copper and change them every 2 years or however quickly you reach 30k
Poor performance from a longer life plug isn't worth it IMO

Ended up buying the NGK V-Power plugs. The plugs are easy enough to change and cost about $10 for four. They should perform as good as OEM- which have given no problems thus far.

if Chrysler still uses Champion, then use Champion Platinums. the only reason that the OE plugs were copper was to save money. there's more than enough available voltage to overcome any conductivity difference with Plats. most manufacturers are using platinum or iridium plugs now - to help keep gaps in check during the emission warranty period. I've "switched" numerous cars and trucks over from copper to platinum. especially those that are hard to change. (the hemi in a durango uses 16 plugs and most are buried under the cowl) My favorite brands are champion or ngk - alhtough I would likely use AC/Delco iridiums in an engine that had them originally. platinums are just fine for 100k miles. I have a truck and one of my cars coming up on 100k on plats - and I will replace with the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back