'06 Ford 500SE vs. '06 Malibu LT V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the 500 is sharp. I saw one the other day on the highway and didn't know what it was - I was like wow what a sharp car, so I sped up a little to read the name plate. Yep, it was a five hundred. If I was in the market for a new car I would definately pick a five hundred because the styling to me is something I would want to be seen in. If you factor in fuel mileage as a consideration, then I might look at a mazda 3 instead. But in the end, you are the one who will have to decide with what you will be happy with. Worry more about being happy with your purchase then what the costs are.

Thanks. I think when I turn 71 I'll look into the 500 a bit more, but until then, it'll probably be the VVT-equipped Malibu V6 (07) IF I shall go domestic.

Id check out a 4cyl dodge stratus...

A bit smaller, yet high utility, 4 cyl operational and maintenance costs (though admittedly the MPG isnt as great as it should be), and it can be had cheap.

A bit better looking than a malibu, and a bit less old mannish than the 500.

hough, IMO, the 500 is a good looking car... Kind of like a scaled-up last gen passat (which was a beautiful car that is a shame that they muddied the car's image with this new one).

JMH

If you don't go domestic, please tell me that youre not going to go used toyota or honda...

That is one of the stupidest purchasing mistakes that one can make, IMO... $1-3000 less for a 3 year old car with 36k+ on it... come on!

JMH

Who makes the 3.9 VVT engine, does anyone know???
If it's somebody other than GM, it should be a good motor; Saturn is using it as well.
If it's a GM motor, I'll wait a few years until GM has all the bugs worked out.
Same as the 3.9 in the G-6???

It's a GM motor. The 3.6LV6 going into the XL7 and Saturn Aura is very smooth from what I read in the Oct. Issue of Motor Trend.

Try a Chrysler 300 Touring with the 3.5L V6. That engine is VERY reliable. G-ManII's 300M has the same V6 and it wears very well. 250hp, rear wheel drive, good style and a good price, I don't think it gets better than that.

quote:

Originally posted by JeepZJ4.0:
It's a GM motor.

GM is putting electric motors into cars again?!? sheesh

wink.gif

Isn't it an engine??? Motors are electric IIRC.

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:

quote:

Originally posted by JeepZJ4.0:
It's a GM motor.

GM is putting electric motors into cars again?!? sheesh

wink.gif

Isn't it an engine??? Motors are electric IIRC.

JMH

Dang, I have to use my stash of MOTOR oil on my electric MOTOR then.

NO!!!!!DON'T BUY A MALIBU!!!ARHG!!!!!

We had traded my '03 SIlverado Ex cab Z71 in for my wife's '04 Malibu Maxx LT.
pat.gif

We are currently in legal action with GM for an intermitent hard-start issue. Without warning, the engine just cranks and won't start or sometimes it sounds like a dying 'carbed engine. There is a service bulletin, and it's been applied to the car, but it still does it. This is the 3.5L engine. Also, the front suspension has started to clunk (it's either the struts or the funky electric steering) and the driver's front half-shaft seal leaks. I've also been in three times due to warped front rotors. All this with around 27,000 miles.

I really don't like the Ford 500 although it's probably more reliable than the Malibu. At this point I'm throwing brand loyalty out the window: go with a new Camry.

How about this: I've driven quite a bit in the 500, the Malibu, and the Impala (rentals for work trips). The Malibu and Impala give me a neck and back ache from the headrest position/angle (yes, I know how to adjust them and that doesn't help). So, I'd pick the 500.

Both the 3.5 and 3.9 come from the GM 60 degree V6 family with its humble roots in the 2.8 V6 of the early '80's. I have no complaints about my '06 Impala with the 3.5, 33 MPG on the interstate and very adequate power for my useage. No oil consumption, knocks, or leaks. No rattles in the interior, and living up to Impala moniker it corners and stops superbly IMHO.I'm 6'1" and I have no problems with the seating arrangement. I know the question regarded Malibu VS 500 and I really consider the Impala to be a better comparison size wise. Good luck. Rickey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back