06 Colorado, Dreaded P0305 Code...GM says SOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I would have bought a truck like that to install a V8 or a little diesel, all I'd care about is the body and interior was in good shape and the AC works. Within reason, you can't look at it in dollars and cents for a project.

When my youngest son approaches driving age, I'll probably search out something exactly like this to fix with him and teach him engines.
He's already getting his feet wet with my stroker 440 Mopar.

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
If I would have bought a truck like that to install a V8 or a little diesel, all I'd care about is the body and interior was in good shape and the AC works. Within reason, you can't look at it in dollars and cents for a project.

When my youngest son approaches driving age, I'll probably search out something exactly like this to fix with him and teach him engines.

Swapping engines is pretty hard these days, or it can be if ones state is particular about it. Has to be same year or newer, has to conform to the emissions allowed for that year engine, etc. Not saying it's impossible but it's something to watch out for--if they like to plug into the OBDII port and query the system to make sure all readiness flags are set, well you get the idea.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Never heard any stories like this ~ hang around with Arco much?

Try getting out of your mom's basement once in a while....LOL.

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: NYEngineer

Swapping engines is pretty hard these days, or it can be if ones state is particular about it. Has to be same year or newer, has to conform to the emissions allowed for that year engine, etc. Not saying it's impossible but it's something to watch out for--if they like to plug into the OBDII port and query the system to make sure all readiness flags are set, well you get the idea.

And that is exactly how they test emissions in western WA.

It's what they do in NH too, at least for '96 and newer. I've thought a time or two of going south, finding a nice 1995 vehicle, and then running that up here instead.

Originally Posted By: Brigadier

Excessive timing chain wear.
Then the VVT solenoid quits.........$1100 later....
Fuel Vapor Evap Valve Solenoid 3X. Over $1400 total to get them fixed

If you had Cam/Crank correlation DTC's to condemn the Timing Chain.....You would be screaming from the hill tops like you do about everything else!
What makes your assumption about the Timing Chain even more confusing.......P0305 or any misfire DTC WILL NOT RUN with a P0014/P0016 Cam Correlation DTC's set.

The VVT Solenoid cost $55 & takes 10 minutes to change. If you mean Actuator....That's a different story?

Spending $1400 for EVAP codes to be fixed makes no sense whatsoever.

Try getting out of your mom's basement once in a while....LOL. [/quote]

She died in 2003 … at 93 … I’ve had a job for over 5 decades non stop and my own place since 19 … and six figure income for two decades … so go back and read Saul Alinski again …

Company has owned hundreds of Ford and Chevrolet trucks and nothing close to this claim …

Originally Posted By: 4WD

Try getting out of your mom's basement once in a while....LOL.

She died in 2003 … at 93 … I’ve had a job for over 5 decades non stop and my own place since 19 … and six figure income for two decades … so go back and read Saul Alinski again …

Company has owned hundreds of Ford and Chevrolet trucks and nothing close to this claim …
[/quote]

Wow. Thin skinned are we? It was a joke, hence the "LOL".

Do yourself a favor and research the Atlas I5 in the original Colorado and Canyon. You will see I am not the only one this has happened too.

And I don't give a [censored] about your income level. In fact, the fact you brought it up to show off your manhood tells me all I need to know about you.

Happy Memorial Day.

Last edited:
Yep. That's how they test emissions in NY as well... Plug into the OBD port. I've done a few swaps or cubic inch upgrades and I always see it through. Make sure everything is as it should be. What good is a car you can't drive?

One of the best, which I still sometimes can't believe I got to work successfully was a 1991 Camaro RS for a friend. Swapped out the TBI 305 for a ZZ4 crate engine. Tremec 5 speed, 750 Holley TBI, Edelbrock headers into a 3" cat and a 3.42 posi rear. Car was a ton of fun to drive but we did have issues with the four barrel/ injector TBI. The GM computer had trouble driving four injectors so I later installed a 670 CFM 2 injector unit. Car ran PERFECTLY after that and never threw a code unless something was really wrong. My buddy drove that car like that for 13 years. I understand this was not an OBD2 car but it still had to be right.

I did not reply to you … it’s you that got cocky with the living in the basement nonsense …
PS ~ owned two I5’s before the V8 …

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Let me get this right, guy buys a 6 year old used truck, 6 years later he complains it needs a head. People here give him sound advice that it can be swapped out for less that $2k, he ignores that and sells it for scrap?
crazy2.gif

If you would read, it Was more than just the head.

Originally Posted By: CJWinWA
Originally Posted By: DevilsRule
Unfortunately, it is fatal if you just keep driving it, and they are 100% GM. That is probably the problem. If they were Nissan, they would last longer...LOL.

I'm tired of the ignorant comments. "If it was Nissan it would last longer". I'm never buying GM again" I knew what I was going to see when I opened this thread. You never disappoint. I'm going to give you some common sheep like advice. Go buy an Asian brand. They never have problems. The service departments at their dealers are going out of business because Asian vehicles are "BULLETPROOF" and they have no customers for repairs. It's like my Uncle. Tells me I'm lucky to have 160,000 Chevy. The next week, his brand new Nissan is leaving their driveway on a flatbed. I despise this bias toward American vehicles [censored]. Sick people, no pride.

I was as loyal to American made as it gets, having purchased 13 new American made vehicles in 30 years of driving. each vehicle ownership experience was worse than the one before. Each F150 I bought got worse mileage then the one before, and had more issues that Ford refused to acknowledge, until warranty was expired. My 2010 F150 had the blend air door actuator fail before the first set of brake pads wore out. I may be picky, but I believe my heating system should outlast the first set of brake pads. The original quote to fix the blend air door actuator was $1,200.00, I had to fight for a year (without heat or A.C.) to get any help from Ford, and still ended up paying several hundred dollars to replace a part that is a known failure fleet wide, from F150s to Lincolns.

There was my one experience with GM, a 1999 Silverado that was dead on the side of the road driving it home from the dealership the night I bought it. That was just the beginning of a 50,000 mile ordeal that involved three transmissions, a transfer case, and the rebuilding of both differentials. In the end, with the truck torn apart at the dealership, GM said they would pay for no more repairs, and offered me 10% off MSRP of the GM vehicle of my choice. I had never used 4X4 yet the front differential bearings failed, what a joke.

After blowing hundreds of thousands on American *rapmobiles, I final bought a Toyota. I am really upset with myself for not having made the switch 20 or 25 years ago.

Keep blowing your horn about American cars, and keep your checkbook handy for the next big *crew you from GM or Ford.

Exactly. This Colorado was bought by me in 3/12 with only 41k miles on it. I checked the VIN and it had no TSB's on it or recalls.

Then the CEL comes on for Fuel Vapor Evap Valve Solenoid 3X. Over $1400 total to get them fixed ...but no TSB's or recalls on this VIN #.

Then the wiper motor goes out. There is a recall, but my VIN is exempt - it was mfd AFTER the bad batch. RIGHT....$700 later...

Then at 114k, the valve seats in the head fail, along with excessive timing chain wear, and the exhaust manifold with built in cat breaking....

Enough is enough. I sold it to my mechanic for $1250 out the door, as is. He doubts he will get his money back on it after he fixes it, but he plans on using it as a loaner/rental car for his shop.

I have moved on, and away from GM. Enough is enough.

But it looks like the shade tree know it alls would have thrown good money after bad. LOL

Unfortunately, you got one of GMs duds. FWIW I wasn't particularly impressed with my Colorado I bought new in 2008, but I got lucky and traded it for 2012 fullsize for 3,200 less than I paid for it. I was glad to let it go and I love my Silverado. They put a lot more work it seems in the development of the larger trucks. I can't or won't ever be able to prove it, but the Colorado seems to me like it was relabeled Isuzu junk, or at least they had major input into it.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12

Unfortunately, you got one of GMs duds. FWIW I wasn't particularly impressed with my Colorado I bought new in 2008, but I got lucky and traded it for 2012 fullsize for 3,200 less than I paid for it. I was glad to let it go and I love my Silverado. They put a lot more work it seems in the development of the larger trucks. I can't or won't ever be able to prove it, but the Colorado seems to me like it was relabeled Isuzu junk, or at least they had major input into it.

Yes, I believe Isuzu did play a large part in the design. I have learned my lesson.

The shop owner that bought the truck messaged me thru FB yesterday.

They had to do a complete engine rebuild. He said something inside the engine broke and went thru the whole oil system.

The state of the engine now:

colorado engine.jpg

Originally Posted by Brigadier

Yes, I believe Isuzu did play a large part in the design. I have learned my lesson.

Isuzu isn't all that bad - their diesel engines are pretty stout and it wasn't for them, GM wouldn't have a competitive engine for their 1-ton pickups and chassis cabs to compete against Ford and FCA, they'd still be soldiering on with the old 6.2/6.5 Detroit Diesel/AMGeneral V8.

It's what happens when you need to engineer something for a pricepoint. Cars and light trucks weren't their forte(sure, they had a few hits in the 1980s and 1990s with the Impulse, Rodeo/Amigo and Geo Storm), their diesel engines and cab-over trucks are their bread and butter. Hence why GM stepped in the picture in the 1970s.

Originally Posted by A_Harman
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
easy solution: swap in an LS
19.gif

LS engines aren't cheap. Demand is so high from many people doing swaps that prices have gone up.
That said, a 4.8L may be found for reasonable cost. That is sort of the red-headed stepchild of the LS line.

5.3's are $450-500 from LKQ.

Originally Posted by CJWinWA
Originally Posted by DevilsRule
Unfortunately, it is fatal if you just keep driving it, and they are 100% GM. That is probably the problem. If they were Nissan, they would last longer...LOL.

I'm tired of the ignorant comments. "If it was Nissan it would last longer". I'm never buying GM again" I knew what I was going to see when I opened this thread. You never disappoint. I'm going to give you some common sheep like advice. Go buy an Asian brand. They never have problems. The service departments at their dealers are going out of business because Asian vehicles are "BULLETPROOF" and they have no customers for repairs. It's like my Uncle. Tells me I'm lucky to have 160,000 Chevy. The next week, his brand new Nissan is leaving their driveway on a flatbed. I despise this bias toward American vehicles crap. Sick people, no pride.

I was as loyal to American made as it gets, having purchased 13 new American made vehicles in 30 years of driving. each vehicle ownership experience was worse than the one before. Each F150 I bought got worse mileage then the one before, and had more issues that Ford refused to acknowledge, until warranty was expired. My 2010 F150 had the blend air door actuator fail before the first set of brake pads wore out. I may be picky, but I believe my heating system should outlast the first set of brake pads. The original quote to fix the blend air door actuator was $1,200.00, I had to fight for a year (without heat or A.C.) to get any help from Ford, and still ended up paying several hundred dollars to replace a part that is a known failure fleet wide, from F150s to Lincolns.

There was my one experience with GM, a 1999 Silverado that was dead on the side of the road driving it home from the dealership the night I bought it. That was just the beginning of a 50,000 mile ordeal that involved three transmissions, a transfer case, and the rebuilding of both differentials. In the end, with the truck torn apart at the dealership, GM said they would pay for no more repairs, and offered me 10% off MSRP of the GM vehicle of my choice. I had never used 4X4 yet the front differential bearings failed, what a joke.

After blowing hundreds of thousands on American *rapmobiles, I final bought a Toyota. I am really upset with myself for not having made the switch 20 or 25 years ago.

Keep blowing your horn about American cars, and keep your checkbook handy for the next big *crew you from GM or Ford.

Exactly. This Colorado was bought by me in 3/12 with only 41k miles on it. I checked the VIN and it had no TSB's on it or recalls.

Then the CEL comes on for Fuel Vapor Evap Valve Solenoid 3X. Over $1400 total to get them fixed ...but no TSB's or recalls on this VIN #.

Then the wiper motor goes out. There is a recall, but my VIN is exempt - it was mfd AFTER the bad batch. RIGHT....$700 later...

Then at 114k, the valve seats in the head fail, along with excessive timing chain wear, and the exhaust manifold with built in cat breaking....

Enough is enough. I sold it to my mechanic for $1250 out the door, as is. He doubts he will get his money back on it after he fixes it, but he plans on using it as a loaner/rental car for his shop.

I have moved on, and away from GM. Enough is enough.

But it looks like the shade tree know it alls would have thrown good money after bad. LOL

The "excessive timing chain wear" is normal, because the tensioner is oil-activated. Any decent engine shop could rebuild your head.

I know I'm a little late and I did have a bad experience with an 07 Colorado I owned for a year or so (the tranny lost reverse at 70K miles) but I'm sure this truck could have been fixed for far less than $4500.

I can buy a reman head for the 2.8 for $475 and for the 3.5 for $524 with a one year warranty. Should be good enough, if it makes it that long it'll be fine til the rest of the truck is junk...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back