'06 Buick LaCrosse -- opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, all,

My MB is still hassling me, and yes, I know it's always cheaper to repair a paid-off car than to have a car payment . . . but I'm thinking it's time for something a bit bigger and smoother-riding, with some warranty for peace of mind. (I can still stick sportier wheels on it and drive it like I stole it.)

Anyway, a local GM dealer has an '06 LaCrosse, the mid-sized model, in sapphire blue/lt. gray leather, bucket seats and floor console, 34K miles and ~15K left on warranty. It has the 200-hp 3.8 engine. I believe I drove it a couple of months ago on a test-drive, and it was quiet and very smooth. I could wish for different colors (a midnight blue/cream, or dark gray/cream, or even ruby red/cream), but this car is very nice.

Opinions all over the 'net, including here, seem to be that Buick has really gotten it right with this car and its 3.8 engine.

What oil is specced for the 3.8? Has anyone used a Topsider or Liquivac to suction out the oil instead of draining? Any idea of the severe service intervals for oil and tranny? Gas mileage? Repair and parts costs? Any input welcome!

Only comment I can make is 34,000 miles seem excessive for a car barely one year old. That's about triple the national average. Hope the price is right, otherwise I'd keep shopping if it were me. Nice cars, though.

Is this some sort of "program" vehicle? An '06 with 34k sounds suspicious. That's a lot of miles in such a short time. First question I'd have is who was the car previously titled to... Avis? ...Enterprise?

The 3800 is a 250,000+ mile engine. My folks have one in their Park Avenue. Driven *sensibly* (i.e. 65 mph), it turns 35 mpg on the interstate.

The 3800 in my folks' Park calls for 10w-30. At the next change (which will be at 50k), it will be getting PP.

One thing to remember, is that IS a first year model, of a completely new car. I usually stay away from first year models on anything. Usually more problems, more recalls, and more squeaks and rattles as time goes on.

I thought that the '05 was the first year of the LaCrosse? And that this '06 would be about 2 years old, not 1, since it (probably) was new in the fall of '05? (However, it has been on that lot for a couple of months.) It doesn't look like a former rental car, inside or out, but I'll have a closer look at the pedals to see how worn they are.

The price on the dealer's website is $17,988, way too high. But I'm sure they're motivated to move it.

To find out if it was a rental car or not... ask the dealer! They have to have *some* sort of paperwork on it.

Some dealerships will refer to a car as a "program" car. That is a generic term that can mean any number of things, unfortunately. Rental, short term lease, GM executive car, or dealer demo.

They can tell you where the car came from. If nothing else, they'll say "We don't know, we picked it up at auction".

If they honestly can't say, then run a CarFax. That'll spread some sunshine on the situation. If it was a rental, CarFax will know.

Oops. My bad on the first year thing. The last year of the LeSabre ('05) was the same as the first year of the LaCrosse.

It's currently the beginning of the '08 model year. If that car was produced near the beginning of '06, that's 17k miles a year, which is a little high, but reasonable overall.

The 3800 V6 is a great engine. Very strong, smooth and reliable. It's known to be easy on oil, too. The Lacrosse is a very nice car but IMHO it's VERY plain in the lower trim levels. With the upscale trim, I think the car is very attractive overall. I'd say the car is a good choice, though.

Good luck to you!

Yes, Matt, this is the CXL, the mid-range of the trim levels. The CX, the basement model, seems to only come with cloth interior and bench front seat (gack to both). This one is leather, and the wood and chrome trim inside are very attractive to somebody who's coming from a late-90s Benz.

If I go for it, I'm going to ask 'em to install the corner and side chrome trim pieces from the CXS, the sportiest model. Probably all they need to do is put the chrome overlay in the recesses on the bumpers and doors. It'll make it look a lot sharper.

It's been a while since I had a car with *any* factory warranty. With that, I should have a good year or more to discover any problems and have the dealer fix 'em, right?

I'd say anything that hasn't been ironed out already will most likely not be an issue until much later on. In other words, with Buick's current reputation, you probably don't have anything to worry about.

It would seem to me that another 15,000 miles of warranty coverage is going to give you plenty of time to determine if the car has problems, or if it is a 'keeper'.

While most GM engines called for 5W-30 for some time now, the 3.8 spec'd. 10W-30.
They changed that in 2004(IIRC), so now, the 3800 calls for 5W-30 oil as well as the rest of GMs V-6s.
Many use 10W in the summer anyway; I have.

$15-17K? That's what I was thinking; Edmunds has the trade-in value of a similar CXL with 34K miles at about $14K, and dealer retail right at $17K, which agrees with the average price on Autotrader.

Well, I'll go drive it tomorrow, see if I can wangle an overnight drive so I can put it through my regular commute for a day, and then we'll see. The dealer says they can offer 5.9% financing, too, which is as low as my credit union will go.

Compare with a new one on sale less incentives. Then deduct the years and mileage. I would avoid a "program" car that has been a daily rental.

Too many would be Dale Jr's out there.

If the dealer has had it on the lot for a "few months", then it is time to strike a deal. One thing is for sure, a car doesn't make a dealer *any* money when it just sits on the lot. Turnover is what makes them money.

I'd remind them that you've noticed that the car has been sitting there for a few months, and you'll help them out with that problem *if* they're ready to deal on it.

Start negotiating with them at wholesale. The '04 Silverado that I now drive had been sitting on the lot for several weeks. I reminded the sales manager of that fact, then I made my first offer at wholesale. The sales manager accepted it on the spot. Easiest vehicle purchase that I have made in my entire life, and the negotiating took all of 5 minutes.

It still had the remainder of the factory warranty as well.

FWIW, I had, as I recall, a base model CX, with cloth interior and no trip computer or any of that fun stuff, for about a week as a rental. I put 1200 miles on it. It felt very well build, and it was a pleasure to drive. Like many of GM's more modern cars, they've turned the ECM for smoothness and economy, so it doesn't offer as much brash power as the older 3800's seemed to; I personally prefer it this way, the vehicles are much nicer to drive on a day to day basis.

My only complaint about the LaCrosse (and I'm struggling here) was that it had the primitive traction control system that GM was using from the mid-late 90's. The modern TC system seems to work much better, IMO.

The mother has an 06 Lacrosse with the 3.8. Super riding and driving car! The only thing is that at 6'3" it is a PITA getting in the darn thing. Other than that I would buy one in a heartbeat!

Is it GM Certified? 5.9% offered with those in local paper.

My brother (in NE Wis) has an 05 CXS (3.6 engine) in black with every option except XM radio. They have over well 50,000 miles on it and never been to the dealer for any problems. His wife drives it daily and loves the car. Btw - says they only change oil when the light comes on.

Benzadmiral ,

Just a thought - might not be relevant to the situation .

If I was looking , I'd try to get a feel about what changed between 2006 , 2007 , 2008 and what practical choices you might have in your area , relative prices , etc .

It does appear the 2008s are already out on this one , so you have new '08s , '07s, and then the '06s .

The reason I would at least look at that on paper is if I recall correctly , when GM announced the 5year/100k powertrain warranty , it included 'new' (non titled - non sold) 2006 , 2007 , and obviously the 2008s .
You might find exactly what you really want as far as trim as well .

The math might surprise you on the other years - esp. if you factor in a quality extended warranty ( I'd compare against GMACs here) . Thats not a knock or implication , its just an observation - the factory 5/100 has to effect the extended warranty cost .

Some of the above might be why the one you 'found' has been 'sitting' . ie was 'bought' (Dealer) before the warranty switch up and maybe some incentive money was available .
dunno.gif

The 5/100k PTW has had a very positive sales effect effect for GM that has surprised eveyone observing .

Last edited:
Appears that a Buick with a Buick Dealership 'behind it' could be a very good thing , - or really , if you start putting all these surveys together , as good as it can get .
( As always , depends on the specifics , YMMV .)

J.D. Power and Associates Reports

Jaguar Ranks Highest in Customer Satisfaction with Dealer Service -

- WESTLAKE VILLAGE, Calif.: 19 July 2007 —Although more than three-fourths of vehicle owners report making
an appointment with their dealership for a repair or maintenance, customers who drop in without a scheduled
appointment are more satisfied, according to the J.D. Power and Associates 2007 Customer Service Index (CSI)
StudySM released today.

The study, now in its 27th year, measures the customer satisfaction of vehicle owners who visit the dealer service
department for maintenance or repair work during the first three years of ownership, which typically represent the
majority of the vehicle warranty period.

Overall customer satisfaction with dealer service is based on six measures:

service initiation, service advisor, in-dealership experience, service delivery, service quality and user-friendly service. -

- The study also finds that, indicative of the automotive industry’s continuing product quality improvements, more
customers visit dealerships for maintenance rather than repairs.

The percentage of maintenance visits increased by
four points to 62 percent, with 38 percent of visits being for repairs. -

- Jaguar ranks highest with an overall CSI score of 925 points on a 1,000-point scale—13 points above the top CSI
performer in 2006—improving considerably among repair customers in the areas of service quality and service
initiation.

Following Jaguar in the rankings are Buick (918) and Cadillac and Lexus (913, in a tie). -

- The 2007 CSI Study is based on responses gathered between January and April 2007 from 84,495 owners and lessees
of 2004 to 2006 model-year vehicles. -

Customer Service Index Ranking
(Based on a 1,000-point scale)
J.D. Power and Associates
2007 Customer Service Index (CSI) StudySM

Jaguar 925
Buick 918
Cadillac 913
Lexus 913
Mercury 912
Saturn 908
MINI 902
Lincoln 901
Pontiac 900
Infiniti 899
GMC 897
Acura 894
Audi 894
BMW 893
Porsche892
HUMMER 890
Volvo 889
Chevrolet 888
Honda 887
Saab 883

Industry Average 876

Hyundai 873
Mercedes-Benz 872
Mitsubishi 872
Subaru 869
Chrysler 868
Ford 868
Toyota 868
Dodge 853
Kia 851
Nissan 851
Mazda 849
Scion 848
Jeep 843
Land Rover 843
Volkswagen 821
Suzuki 820
Isuzu 780

Source: J.D. Power and Associates 2007 Customer Service Index (CSI) StudySM
Charts and graphs extracted from this press release must be accompanied by a statement identifying J.D. Power
and Associates as the publisher and the J.D. Power and Associates 2007 Customer Service Index (CSI) StudySM
as the source. Rankings are based on numerical scores and not necessarily on statistical significance. No
advertising or other promotional use can be made of the information in this release or J.D. Power and Associates
study results without the express prior written consent of J.D. Power and Associates.
NOTE: Oldsmobile is excluded from official index rankings since this brand is not represented in all three years of CSI.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back