'05 Suburban - Is This a Good Deal for Pad/Rotors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle: 2005 Suburban 1500 LT
Brake pads and rotors are all either in need of replacement or will need to be soon. I was going to piece-mail it, but now I'm thinking of just replacing all pads and rotors this weekend in one shot and having it over with.

Went to Rock Auto and found a nice deal on a front & rear combo kit for ~$185, but the shipping adds $40. I can get it from Amazon for essentially the same price w/ Prime shipping. With rebate, 5% cash back on CC, and added tax, it works out to $217.36. Is this a good price? I checked some other sites and it looks like most are around or over $250. Just wanted some advice from the BITOG people before going forward.

1z2olc0.jpg

Thanks,

CB9

Look at Advance Auto and their housebrand rotors and ceramic pads. Use the online discount codes.
It's what I use on my vehicles. It will be less than half of what you posted.

Originally Posted By: bama7x57
Look at Advance Auto and their housebrand rotors and ceramic pads. Use the online discount codes.

Thanks - I'm not finding their house brand pads or rotors on the site though. What is the name of their house brand line?

AutoZone Duralast brand also works.

Note the difference in the Gold and regular versions, Gold is ceramic, regular is semi-metallic...

Rotors-Gold is coated, regular is not. Coating wears off, except on the edges...

Originally Posted By: Cavball9

Thanks - I'm not finding their house brand pads or rotors on the site though. What is the name of their house brand line?

I think the Advance Auto Parts house brand is called "Wearever" or "Wear Ever" and their ceramic pads are doing very well (especially considering price) on the cars I have them installed on.

Originally Posted By: JRed

I think the Advance Auto Parts house brand is called "Wearever" or "Wear Ever" and their ceramic pads are doing very well (especially considering price) on the cars I have them installed on.

I am able to get these for about $30.00 less than the PowerStop. Not sure which is a better product though. Thoughts?

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
Look at RetailMeNot.com for discount codes that may lower that price a little...

Already used a coupon from there to knock $50 off. When tax was figured in it was only saving me about $20 off the PowerStop set from Amazon.

I actually found the PowerStop KOE2015 through JCWhitney, applied a 20% + Free Ship coupon, pulled 5% cash-back through Ebates and hopefully 5% back on my CC since they allow Amazon checkout.

If that all goes through, I'm looking at $175.53 for front & rear rotors + pads. Seems like a nice price.

Wearever, Duralast, why buy no name probably made in China parts. I see Rock has Bendix, Raybestos, Wagner Ceramic pads starting around $22-$25. Yea maybe they too are made in China but at least they are brand name parts. Personally for a GM vehicle I'd go for AC Delco at a couple bucks more. For rotors, if you have wheels that easily show the rotors, get coated versions if you don't like seeing rusted center sections. Shipping can be high on them so check local first but Rock always has a 5% discount code that covers much of the shipping.

I think you will be fine with advances house brand rotors and their ceramic pads. Sometimes its cheaper to separate into two orders so you can get $40 off 100 on both of them. Also check out amazon for acdelco pads/rotors. I've had good luck with their advantage line and sometimes you will see some great deals in the 'used' section (box is torn up or part was returned).

Originally Posted By: atikovi
Wearever, Duralast, why buy no name probably made in China parts. I see Rock has Bendix, Raybestos, Wagner Ceramic pads starting around $22-$25. Yea maybe they too are made in China but at least they are brand name parts. Personally for a GM vehicle I'd go for AC Delco at a couple bucks more. For rotors, if you have wheels that easily show the rotors, get coated versions if you don't like seeing rusted center sections. Shipping can be high on them so check local first but Rock always has a 5% discount code that covers much of the shipping.

Is PowerStop really a no-name, generic product at this point? Seems a lot of reputable dealers are carrying them, including JC Whitney, Rock Auto, Pep Boys, etc and have very good reviews on the majority of their products. The kit I purchased for $175 is going for $220 - $279 just about everywhere online - every review I've seen has them around 4.5*.

Is PowerStop really a no-name, generic product at this point? Seems a lot of reputable dealers are carrying them, including JC Whitney, Rock Auto, Pep Boys, etc and have very good reviews on the majority of their products. The kit I purchased for $175 is going for $220 - $279 just about everywhere online - every review I've seen has them around 4.5*.

Don't know as I'm not familiar with that brand. Just have to ask though, would an owner of a highline BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, etc. put that brand on his car?

Many times now AC Delco Brake parts are also the Chinese brands/rebox that people love to hate... Just saying.
Now OE GM... that is another story... and price point.

BurrWinder

I bought a powerstop brake kit from rock auto, and it was cheap chinese rotors with their namebrand pads.

The rotors were 9 dollar chinese rotors, no name.

They had machining flaws all over them and I had to send them back.

I would not recommend powerstop anything.

For brakes, I'm hesitant to buy them online anymore. Might try NAPA or Advance auto parts gold line, they have served me right.

Don't know as I'm not familiar with that brand. Just have to ask though, would an owner of a highline BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, etc. put that brand on his car?

With all due respect, what does a my 228,000-mile Suburban have to do with a highline BMW, Mercedes or Jaguar brake system? That same owner is not going to put Duralast, ACDelco or Wearevers on their highline BMW, Mercedes or Jag either, are they?

Originally Posted By: JustinH
I bought a powerstop brake kit from rock auto, and it was cheap chinese rotors with their namebrand pads.

The rotors were 9 dollar chinese rotors, no name.

They had machining flaws all over them and I had to send them back.

I would not recommend powerstop anything.

For brakes, I'm hesitant to buy them online anymore. Might try NAPA or Advance auto parts gold line, they have served me right.

Thanks for the heads-up. The kit I purchased had at least a 4* rating at every site I checked, including several installed on a Suburban, so I'm hoping for the best. I will definitely be sure to thoroughly inspect them upon arrival. It's gotta be a [censored] of an improvement from my tired rotors & pads currently installed.

Originally Posted By: JustinH

This is my opinion as well...

The kit I purchased had at least a 4* rating at every site I checked

You believe everything you read on the Internet? Many companies pay for reviews. Rock is one of the better places to buy parts but PartsGeek which is probably the worst, has great reviews. And reading between the lines you can pretty much tell most of their reviews are made up.

What is your definition of a "couple buck"?

For my Silverado AAP has the Wearever Platinum for $57 and all the hardware is included. The dealer wants $172 for GM front brake pads and that is no hardware.

Are the GM pads better, perhaps, but I don't think they are 3X better.

As far as Chinese parts, is there a guarantee that OEM pads are not Chinese? Heck, BMW and Mercedes might use inexpensive Chinese brake pads to maximize profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back