05 chevy colorado I5, amsoil xl7500 5w30, 5702mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an old sample I had done a while ago before I found this site. It's why I stopped using amsoil. My 7500mi oil can't even last 6k. The truck now has 45k and I'm using walmart super tech synthetic now, changing every 5k, wich for me is 2 months. I plan on getting that sampled the next time I come to change it. I'll post those results.

oilana.jpg

There nothing realy wrong with the oil here - yes, the TBN is low, but I'd bet it would 'stabilize at around those levels, and male it to 7.5k miles.

For a 5700-mile run, you have very high silicon, and the resulting wear from it. TBN is also going to suffer from impurities in 'dirty oil'...if you got you air filtered properly, the oil would definetly last to 7500, with lower wear.

But hey, you want to blame the oil, and not deal with the 'real' issues the engine is having...your choice!

I don't blame the oil. It was getting to expensive to run it with how often I was changing it. I've ran it since the first oil change up untill about 30k, changing it every 5k. I have a 115mile round trip to work 5 days a week, so I change my oil often and I wanted to see how it was holding up. I do have an aftermarket intake on the truck, so maybe that wasn't helping.

This engine only had 20k miles on it, right? It was still breaking in! I don't see anything wrong here. Fe, Al, Si and Cu have all probably continued to settle since this OCI.

I've never been blown away by the XL series but this is fine IMO.

I hear you on the long trip. I do 118 miles one way 5 days a week (236 miles/day = 1,000+ mi /week).

I'm going to be changing my Amsoil XL 5w20 and sending it in after 7000 mi.

If you are going to change your oil every 5k or less then a cheaper oil, as you said, might be what you want.

Aftermarket intake, and low overall miles WILL have an effect on wear metals/oil life. Sorry I missed that.

And yeah, with the amount of driving you are doing, it might be chaeper to go to something else, it might also be cheaper to get something more expensive, and run it longer...but that's a choice you have to make/research.....

Quote:
it might be chaeper to go to something else, it might also be cheaper to get something more expensive, and run it longer...but that's a choice you have to make/research.....

Yes. I'd lock down whatever issue there is and ditch that second job as a DIY lube jockey. That's way too often for all the handling involved. Now if I had a waste oil burner (not much good in that neck of the woods) ..that may be a different story. A vehicle doing that type of mileage should make 300k if everything is normal before age related stuff starts fatiguing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back