N55 32k - Mobil1 0-30, new car to me

2016 535i N55 engine, 32k miles.

History shows oil has been changed 7 times thus far, so about every 5-6k. When I bought it, the oil was showing 5k miles on it, so I saved a sample. Then afterwards I found out the dealer changed it 800mi ago....oh well...They didn't use LL-01 approved oil so at least it has correct oil in it now.

I know this sample only has ~800-mi on it...but everything look good? I'll retest again in 5k miles with the 5-40 Quaker State Euro LL-01 I put in.

OA32k-L.jpg

Do you know which Mobil 1 0W-30 was used, AFE or ESP?
Unsure... all the used car dealer said was 0-30 Mobil1 FS. I always change the oil on a new car purchase so I'm 100% sure the right oil is in there unless its clearly documented.

Ultimately I just want to make sure I don't have anything major showing up as a red flag on this car. I cant imagine with changes every 5k there would be, but peace of mind...

Unsure... all the used car dealer said was 0-30 Mobil1 FS. I always change the oil on a new car purchase so I'm 100% sure the right oil is in there unless its clearly documented.

Ultimately I just want to make sure I don't have anything major showing up as a red flag on this car. I cant imagine with changes every 5k there would be, but peace of mind...
No such thing.

No such thing.
Right I know, but thats all they told me - so I dont have any confirmation other than M1 0-30. None of the 0-30 are LL-01 so I changed the oil anyway to make sure I have a LL-01 oil.

Regardless...wear levels look fine for 800-miles?

I would also probably note, on the drive back home (CA to AZ) I did hit a huge dust storm with less than 50ft of visibility for probably 1-2 miles, so I cant imagine the air filter is flawless at filtering out that much sand. I changed the air filter already, but I wonder if that reflects anywhere too...

Beginning around 2016 BMW started to use LL01FE (HTHS between 2.9 - 3.5) for the N55.

Shell and current NA supplier Castrol provide 0w30 LL01FE for BMW dealers to use in N-series engines.

The N55 will take any LL01/LL01FE and LL04. Most of us prefer HTHS 3.5 or greater (LL01/LL04).

Personally until recently I ran LL01FE but my commutes were easy 20-30 mins / 9 -13 miles.

Your UOA is unremarkable as in nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
Beginning around 2016 BMW started to use LL01FE (HTHS between 2.9 - 3.5) for the N55.

Shell and current NA supplier Castrol provide 0w30 LL01FE for BMW dealers to use in N-series engines.

The N55 will take any LL01/LL01FE and LL04. Most of us prefer HTHS 3.5 or greater (LL01/LL04).

Personally until recently I ran LL01FE but my commutes were easy 20-30 mins / 9 -13 miles.

Your UOA is unremarkable as in nothing to worry about.

Thank you! That's really all I care about - making sure I didn't get an engine that was about to explode since it was a trade in at a Chevy dealer who promptly sent it to auction since it was too nice for their lot. Being I have BMW dealer service records since new, I wasn't overly worried, but you never know if something major came up and the owner dumped it quickly.

Maybe something with 5k on it would have more value, especially with the correct oil. I'll report back at my 5k interval at the end of the year and compare then.

Back