05 2.3L Ranger Oil Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend just purchased an 05 Ford Ranger with a 2.3l four cyliner. I think the engine is a MAZDA design.

Any oil recommendations would be appreciated.

What does the manual recommend? 5W20 would be my guess.
I ran the 5W30, then the 0W30 and now the XL5W20 in my 4.0 Ranger. I have seen better gas milage with the lighter wight oil as well.

for some reason i thought they did away with them engines years back. i thought they went to a 2.5l? but i might be thinking of something completely different...

Ford had the 2.3 litre 4 cyl engine (based on the Ford pinto from the early/mid 70s which they bumped up to a 2.5 litre at some point (90s?). I don't remember if it was bore & stroke or one or the other. It had a lot of changes and improvements over the years.

My guess is a longer stroke?
They made this engine up until about 2000 ish. Then the Mazda 2.3 litre engine was phased in as a replacement. I don't know a whole lot more than that.
Pat

quote:

Originally posted by 05corollaLE:
A friend just purchased an 05 Ford Ranger with a 2.3l four cyliner. I think the engine is a MAZDA design.

==============================================

Stay within factory recommendations during the warranty period. Motorcraft oils would be my first choice. When the mileage reaches around 4-5K, a very good full synthetic option in 5W-20 would be Amsoil.

I'd just use 5w20, 5w30 would probably shear to a 20weight anyways, 5w20 is more stable.

TropArtic 5w20 syn blend is very similar to the motorcraft, and is usually cheaper, I recommend that, or havoline. With oci's of 3-4k for city short trip driving and 5k for mostly highway driving. For full syn, take your pick of 0/5w20 and keep the oci's the same until the warranty runs out.

The 2.3L is a mazda, it is most likely the same motor that is in the mazda3, and the base mazda6, with a few upgrades and different pcm for work use. Good motor.

[ August 27, 2005, 01:22 AM: Message edited by: Schism ]

quote:

Originally posted by Triple_Se7en:

quote:

Originally posted by 05corollaLE:

==============================================

Stay within factory recommendations during the warranty period. Motorcraft oils would be my first choice. When the mileage reaches around 4-5K, a very good full synthetic option in 5W-20 would be Amsoil.

What about Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 full synthetic?

I think 5w-20 will help it run cooler. It's a good
engine with a horrible thermostat design. My 2001
thermostat didn't start to open until 210 F.
By the time the electronic assist opened it the rest of the way; it was too late. (boiling over and temp gauge in the red) When the thermostat finally opened all the way, the temp would drop all the way to the bottom of the cold range. It drove me crazy! I finally traded it in on a 3.0 after 3 thermostats
and no improvement. Good luck.
frown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Schism:
I'd just use 5w20, 5w30 would probably shear to a 20weight anyways, 5w20 is more stable.

Thats why 10w30 makes a whole lot more sense to me. He is in New Orleans. Sure doesn't need a 5w20 in that climate, but if the warranty requires it, he may be stuck unless he doesn't care. Were it mine and I had to run 5w20 I would, as soon as synthetic is permissible, run 5w20 Redline which has an HTHS viscosity as good as many 10w30. That way he is protected. But were I to run a 10w30 I would get Maxlife and maybe the synthetic Maxlife.

quote:

What about Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 full synthetic?

=============================================

Too new to reach a verdict on!

There have been very few analysis reports thus far. Some aren't very clear results either. That new brand needs more study time before giving it a top-tier green light.

FWIW -- that 2.3 is an excellent motor! A bit of a dog, and you'll occassionally curse it driving up a long grade, but a very reliable engine nonetheless! Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back