'04 Vibe, dropped the trans pan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Vibe just turned 144k miles, so I thought I'd change the trans filter. The pan has a drain plug, so I've been doing drain and fills every 20k miles or so. Using a combo of T-IV and Amsoil ATF.

The filter is just a fine wire mesh, and it did have a few specs in it. The pan has 2 magnets inside, and they were both covered with metal. I'd say after the pan is drained, the pan and the filter still hold about a 1/2 quart or so.

So I cleaned the pan and magnets, and filled it up with Valvoline Maxlife. I hope it goes another 144k or more,
34.gif

How did you do it?

Did you use a lift, jack or ramps or nothing?
Did you use a new gasket? Did you use a torque wrench?
Fear any leaks?How to prevent it?

I am thinking of doing the job for my 1994 Geo Prizm at 147K miles.
The previous owner had not done any drain-refills.After I got the car I had a drain-refill, filter change done at a shop.But I do not trust that show now, I do not think they did the job although they charged me for it.That is why I want to do it myself and do it right.

I just jacked the front up, and put it on jackstands.

The filter comes with a gasket already in place, and is attached by 3 bolts. It also comes with pan gasket.

My pan is really easy to get to, nothing is in the way, so I used a 1/4" drive cordless impact to remove the 10mm bolts. The whole process was super easy.

I didn't use a torque wrench. Just got them snug by starting in a criss cross pattern. No leaks, and no fear of leaks.

Originally Posted By: Geo_Prizm
Thanks for the explanation.

Did you feel any difference in shifting after the maintenance?

No problem. I really couldn't tell any difference in shifting.

Originally Posted By: Geo_Prizm
How did you do it?

Did you use a lift, jack or ramps or nothing?
Did you use a new gasket? Did you use a torque wrench?
Fear any leaks?How to prevent it?

I am thinking of doing the job for my 1994 Geo Prizm at 147K miles.
The previous owner had not done any drain-refills.After I got the car I had a drain-refill, filter change done at a shop.But I do not trust that show now, I do not think they did the job although they charged me for it.That is why I want to do it myself and do it right.

Also be very gentle re tighting the pan screws. Assuming your tranny is alum., it only takes about 15 ft. lbs. With that said, you can do it.

Originally Posted By: JakeR22
My Vibe just turned 144k miles, so I thought I'd change the trans filter. The pan has a drain plug, so I've been doing drain and fills every 20k miles or so. Using a combo of T-IV and Amsoil ATF.

The filter is just a fine wire mesh, and it did have a few specs in it. The pan has 2 magnets inside, and they were both covered with metal. I'd say after the pan is drained, the pan and the filter still hold about a 1/2 quart or so.

So I cleaned the pan and magnets, and filled it up with Valvoline Maxlife. I hope it goes another 144k or more,
34.gif

I bet you could have kept doing the drain/fills and got to 250k easy.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back