142K on 6R80

So I completed the pan drop and filter change on the trany over the weekend and the pan just had the typical magnet fuzz and a very light coating of grey on the pan just like all the other pans you see on normal maint on youtube.

I beleive I got out 6.5 qts but some did spill. With the 142K miles and no mention of a fluid SVC in the maint records should another pan drop be done and if so, when?

How bad did the fluid look? I've got 265k on one with 4 or 5 fluid changes in it's lifetime. The fluid has never been appreciably darkened. If the fluid wasn't terrible looking I would wait and do it again in another 30k or more miles.

The hardest part the job is getting the fluid level right. Be sure to actually drive it for a good half hour to get the fluid temps up to temp. I made the mistake in the past of going off the OBDII temp readings and the reported temperature were not the same as the fluid temp in the pan.

Welding gloves are highly recommended as mine has the the little dipstick inches away from the passenger side catalytic converter. Also, a miti-vac fluid extractor makes the job so much easier. I don't bother dropping the pan any more. For filling, I snake a half inch inside diameter hose down to the transmission and pour from the engine compartment.

That sounds exactly as you'd expect so things look good. The total fluid volume is around 14 liters so I would do another drain/fill some time in the next year. There is a thermo-valve that keeps a bunch of fluid from circulating until fluid temperature reaches 170f so you need to be above that to read the little dipstick properly. Having changed mine twice in 60k miles (110k kms on it now) be aware that you need to have the engine idling to refill the fluid to the correct level. The last couple of quarts will overflow the fill hole without the engine running while refilling.

While not a fan of dorman products in general, the quality of their replacement pan with a drain plug matches the OEM one. I have had the dorman installed for a couple of years now and it's useful for fluid swaps. The OEM gasket is re-useable and works fine with the dorman pan.

Dorman Pan with Drain

Back