04 v6 4Runner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice truck! The new 4 Runners are very nice and built very well. What V6 Engine is this and what type of driving conditions and intervals are you looking at?
smile.gif

4.0L 1GR-FE churning out 245HP and 283 lb. ft. of torque.

[ March 21, 2004, 09:41 PM: Message edited by: hkkc ]

Like hkkc said, it's the 1GR-FE. I drive roughly 65 miles round trip a day, about 20 miles of it is in town driving.
I liked the Nissan VQ after I drove a Pathfinder, but this 1GR-FE has a much better low end.

quote:

Originally posted by iontrap:
I liked the Nissan VQ after I drove a Pathfinder, but this 1GR-FE has a much better low end.

VQ is my favorite engine since I have a Maxima with the VQ. The Toyota will offer even better reliability, off-road performance(look at the hill descent feature etc..), build quality, and overall power throughout the power band. Hope you are going to do UOA's on the 1GR-FE since no one has so far. This is a new engine from Toyota and should be a good one like the other Toyo truck engines.

IVe got a tundra with the 3.4L 5VZ-FE. Kinda wish I had the new 4.0L. Its got VVTi, right? Even VVTi added to the 3.4L would up the horses to 220+ Id guess. Oh btw Im using castrol GTX 5W30 cuz it says on the oil filler cap. I have an STP filter right now, but next change Im going to a Motorcraft (Purolator Pure 1) FL-400S filter. You've got easy oil filter changes with that engine!

The upcoming Pathfinder will have a 4.0L V6 that will certainly overpower the Toyota engine.

I would use M1 10w30 in that engine. I run 10w30 in mine with 150 ml of 15w50, smooth as silk!

I just changed my 5w30 in the Tacoma but the next interval will get 10w30.

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, 2.7 Liter , Mobil1 Synthetic SS 5W-30.
ODO 7300 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner 3.0 V6, Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 83400 Miles.
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

The manual recommends 5w30 from -20F to 100F.
I'm thinking about changing it at 1k and trying GC. Bought four quarts of GC a couple of months ago intending to use it in my Camry, hopefully I'll be able to find two more.

Change the oil the first 1k and use the chevron 5-30 and run it for 2k. Repeat the chevron 2k oil change and run the Amsoil 5-30 for 5k to clean everything out. Now you got 10k and engine should be about broken in. Run the Amsoil 3series 5-30 and your engine should be ready for extended oil changes just to be on the safe side...What's the price of oil if you want a clean long lasting engine...especially a Toyota if you plan on keeping for 10 years or longer....

Just ordered the Lube Control and Fuel Power, I was using the Lucas UCL and notice an increase perfomance. Got 97 Ranger 3.0 and went from 1k straight to AMsoil 5-30 for 5k. After realizing about breaking in new engines, certain things even sythetic oil can't get away from is there will be a break in period and every engine is different. I think the first 10k it's better to change the oil often and prime it for synthetic oil for extended oil changes. Toyota makes great engines and synthetic with Lube Control and Fuel Power can extend the oil to it's fullest. potential.

Changed the oil this morning, I went with Pennzoil 5w30. I'll probably change it again at 3k and 5k before I go synthetic.

Sending this to the top for further discussion.

This engine interests me. It's all aluminum, is it not...can anyone confirm this? If so, I haven't seen many opinions on aluminum blocks...I'd be interested in hearing comments if anyone cares.

I agree, this engine interests me as well. Mainly bc it's in the new Tacoma and 4-Runner, two vehicles I really like. It is all aluminum. It's fairly new so not much is known about it from what I understand. Maybe JohnBrowning or Amkeer know something about it.

Also checkout www.tundrasolutions.com

I have test driven a couple of them. Very nice vehicle. Also has a fantastic oil filter arrangement on the V-6 version. It sits up on a little tray arrangement sort of next to where you'd expect the battery to be. Sure, it counts on the ADBV to work correctly, but being able to pull a filter with one hand while standing upright is a neat concept.

Thanks for the link, Buster.

I've heard about the "easy change" filter arrangement...this should resonate with all of us do it yourselfers who don't have three service bays with hydraulic lifts
grin.gif

There was a UOA posted on this engine a few months ago: http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001648

I realize it was the factory fill UOA with only 500 miles, but given this is an all aluminum engine it surprised me to find more iron than aluminum wear metal. Also lead was high if it is true Toy was trying to build this motor lead free, like I've read.

I'm interested in trading in my Suburban on one of these...I guess the all aluminum construction concerns me a little due to my friend's mid 70's Chevy Vega that went teats up one day on the highway, and I'm looking for some positive opinions on this design as well as any special lubrication comments for aluminum blocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back