'04 Honda Trans death

Status
Not open for further replies.
DW-1. I'm at 116,000 Bass Boat towing miles on my 02 Accord V6 auto. So far:So good. Lol.

Quote:
Replace the fluid every 15K like the book says and hopefully get good life out of the unit.

What book is that? Never read that interval in the Honda owners manuals I've used (01 Civic, 96 Accord) nor does 15k interval show up on the current MM system of the V6 Accord. Not saying it's not an option for fluid change interval, just saying, never seen it Honda spec'd in a book.

Quote:
You can buy Honda ATF DW-1 for $6.18 /qt.

Where would that be? H&A? True, but then add $18.54 for ground shipping for 3 qts to my zip. Total $37.38. or ~$12.50/qt, ~$10/qt for 6qts, a 12 case, ~$8/qt, if one doesn't mind using storage. Can't forget the substantial shipping costs for fliuds/chem when quoting from H&A. Pass. If lucky, you 'might' be able to get DW-1 from the dealer for Honda's retail $8.23/qt. I know for Z-1, all dealers here but one quoted prices over Honda retail price. Not saying DW-1 won't work fine for the OP, but be prepared to pay more than $6.18/qt.

Thanks for all the input guys, it's always good to see what does or doesn't work for others out there. H & A is pretty cheap for DW1 fluid, I will give my local Honda dealer parts guy a chance to match or get close but historically he's not friendly.

I only got smacked once for using D4 in a Honda auto trans, but I have to tell you guys, I have been using Redline products for 20+ years with success. I used to have access to a cheap purchase source so I bought ALOT a long time ago and I am almost out now, bout a case and a half to go. I used to have access to a JOAP lab while I was a helicopter mechanic (seems like forever ago now) so I could keep an eye on things mechanically and experts to draw from - but that's something I have to pay for now.

Seems like Honda made a significant improvement with DW1 so I don't have any problem with a steady diet for the new trans. I've read alot of positive things about it so far. I'll send in a couple of samples while the unit is young and see how things are going. Thanks for all the input!

Originally Posted By: lukejo
I've heard so much about bad Honda transmissions. What years? I bought a 2007 Accord V6 less than a year ago and am hoping the problems were solved by then.

In my opinion, the "Honda transmission" problems are over-generalized and made out to be worse than what they are. For individual issues like this, I find Consumer Reports to be a semi-reliable tool for looking this stuff up. For the Accord V-6 model, transmission reliability has a full red circle, which is the best mark possible, beginning in 2005 and extending through the current model year. Before 2004, it has a full black circle, which is the worst mark possible. Clearly, something changed in 2005 and the transmission was significantly upgraded. I think your 2007 will be fine. I'd keep the transmission fluid changed, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

You hear folks all the time say "Honda transmissions are bad", and I think that statement is valid only if they say which model year they're talking about. Anybody can find a specific problem with any automaker, but the statement loses credibility when it's generalized to include everything ever made by that auto maker.

I hope you're right,Hokie. The "problem" appears to be with the overall design vs. conventional ATs. I drive my accord as easily as possible and as little as possible. My plan is to try to get 150,000 out of it,then trade before I have an At problem. It is annoying and "worrisome" as the car is otherwise perfect.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

You hear folks all the time say "Honda transmissions are bad", and I think that statement is valid only if they say which model year they're talking about.

Exactly. Honda ATs seem to go on forever when coupled to a 4cyl.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
I hope you're right,Hokie. The "problem" appears to be with the overall design vs. conventional ATs. I drive my accord as easily as possible and as little as possible. My plan is to try to get 150,000 out of it,then trade before I have an At problem. It is annoying and "worrisome" as the car is otherwise perfect.

Honda seems to have a few different versions of the 5-speed transmission. The V-6 units used to be particularly problem-prone, and it seems like Honda phased the improved ones into different car lines at different times. For example, the Accord's V-6 transmission scores are full red (best) beginning in 2005, but poor before that. The Pilot goes full red beginning in 2004. The Acura TL goes full red (or half red, second best) in 2004. The Ridgeline is full red for every model year (2006 introduction). These are all the V-6 ones, and most of them have been very reliable since the 2004-2005 timeframe. Certainly competitive with other makes' transmission scores.

Honda's 4-cylinder transmissions have been even better. The 4-cylinder only CR-V has been full red since 2001 (earliest year on CR's charts). The Civic has been full red since 2003, with half red in 2002. It was half black in 2001. Element has been full red for every model year (2003 debut). Accord 4-cylinder has been full red since 2003. 2001-2002 was either full black or half black.

Most everyone will heap criticism on Honda for poor transmissions in the past. But very few will give credit where credit is due. And for the most part, Honda automatics, four or six cylinders, have been competitive with the rest of the industry for the better part of a decade now.

yea sanjay,

1994 Lexus Owner manual say atf should be change every 15k or 2 years.. So I think Honda probably recommend the same interval 15k.

If you don't feel safe, you should do drain/refill every 30k miles.

That's encouraging, Jason. I will be putting a LOT of miles on my '07 V6 (all highway) and hope to get well over 200k on it as we did our last Camry. I'll definitely keep the ATF fresh.

Well, our '05 MDX has a similar transaxle to your '07 Accord, and went 70k miles on the original Z-1. I've now put 6 quarts of DW-1 through it and plan to do a few more in short order, then get on a 15k mile cycle of 3 quart drain/fill. Ours saw mostly highway miles like yours. If you keep the fluid changed at halfway reasonable intervals, I see no reason you can't get good life out of it.

In my experience with a number of brands of FWD vehicles, 200k miles out of any FWD transaxle is pretty good service. They just don't seem to be as durable, as a breed, as conventional longitudinal RWD transmission.

I assume the cooler is being changed as well or at least flushed while disconnected from the trans? It needs to be.

I would change the fluid every 15k miles & would probably change the original fluid that goes into the reman unit by at least 3k miles or so along with the filter.

I wouldn't expect the reman unit to be any better.

lukejo,

It appears that Honda finally but forth a concerted effort around 2005 to sort out their transmission woes. I haven't followed very closely the last couple years, but they seem to be doing much better now.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:
Replace the fluid every 15K like the book says and hopefully get good life out of the unit.

What book is that? Never read that interval in the Honda owners manuals I've used (01 Civic, 96 Accord) nor does 15k interval show up on the current MM system of the V6 Accord. Not saying it's not an option for fluid change interval, just saying, never seen it Honda spec'd in a book.

That is one options for the 2002 CR-V. The other option is a 3X drain and fill at a longer interval (60K maybe?). Can't speak to other models or years, but it's in the owner's manual for that one.

Can't forget the substantial shipping costs for fliuds/chem when quoting from H&A. Pass. If lucky, you 'might' be able to get DW-1 from the dealer for Honda's retail $8.23/qt. I know for Z-1, all dealers here but one quoted prices over Honda retail price. Not saying DW-1 won't work fine for the OP, but be prepared to pay more than $6.18/qt.

Yeah, I think H&A only makes sense if you're on the west coast. For me, shipping really isn't that much more than sales tax. But I'm not that far away.

I *think* that GM dealers now have DW-1 rebadged as AC Delco 22717466. There's a rolling change--though I'm not sure how/if you can differentiate between Z-1 and DW1 with the AC Delco branded stuff. Most GM dealers sell this for $5.00 a qt, at least around my way.

Originally Posted By: JOD
Yeah, I think H&A only makes sense if you're on the west coast. For me, shipping really isn't that much more than sales tax. But I'm not that far away.

Or if your local Honda dealer is particularly stubborn on price-matching. My local dealer's parts department says the only online website he's allowed to match is his own.

I presented him today with the option of matching HandA.com on all-weather mats and the cargo tray for our CR-V. HandA's price, INCLUDING SHIPPING, was only $194. Retail was about $270 for all of this. My dealer said he could do it for $214 total, but no less. HandA is at $168 without shipping.

Too bad, so sad, for Bryan Honda in Fayetteville anyway.

Well it's confirmed, my Honda dealer parts guy doesn't want my money. I stopped on my way home tonight to buy a case of Honda DW1 fluid for the ressurection to come and I brought a printout of H & A's case price plus shipping with me just in case and asked for his case price and he gave me Honda retail price. I aksed if he would match a Honda dealer online price plus shipping or get real close and he said no...I'll spend my money where it's wanted I guess.

Here's the plan - I plan to do a 3X drain and fill at 5K miles and change the little pink filter and send in a sample for baseline. Then, do a 10K mile 3X drain and fill (15K total miles) and change the little pink filter(this one is going to hurt) and send in a sample. Maybe borderline overkill but I will have a couple of data points in the samples and filters. If all is well I will let that fluid run 15K mile and drain and fill and send in another sample. I'll post the results and some pic's in the coming months for comment and comparison. Sound good?

Originally Posted By: JOD
Can't forget the substantial shipping costs for fliuds/chem when quoting from H&A. Pass. If lucky, you 'might' be able to get DW-1 from the dealer for Honda's retail $8.23/qt. I know for Z-1, all dealers here but one quoted prices over Honda retail price. Not saying DW-1 won't work fine for the OP, but be prepared to pay more than $6.18/qt.

I *think* that GM dealers now have DW-1 rebadged as AC Delco 22717466. There's a rolling change--though I'm not sure how/if you can differentiate between Z-1 and DW1 with the AC Delco branded stuff. Most GM dealers sell this for $5.00 a qt, at least around my way.

Yeah, that must be it. Whenever I see H&A quoted, the shipping costs for the east coast, make it not practical. As said, I can generally get Honda parts and fluids for Honda retail, big deal, right.
wink.gif

Interesting about the ACDelco ATF perhaps being the same as DW-1. Wondering what makes you think that? Though Saturn did have that year or two where they used Honda engines.

Anyway, with the shift away from Z-1, as said, for me it's time to give MaxLife a shot in my Z-1 spec'd Hondas.

Interesting about the ACDelco ATF perhaps being the same as DW-1. Wondering what makes you think that? Though Saturn did have that year or two where they used Honda engines.

They also used Honda transmission for those years, which is why they sell re-branded Honda transmission fluid under that ACDelco number. It used to be Z-1, but since Honda is no longer making Z-1, there's speculation from some Honda folks that it'll switch over to DW-1. I doubt Honda will keep making the Z-1 just for old Saturns. But again, all that is speculation. The fluids are slightly different colors, so I imagine at some point someone will figure it out.

I can actually get the ACDelco stuff cheaper locally than Maxlife, so I may pick up a few bottles for a CRV drain/fill. I have 2 bottles of Z-1 left, so I can compare them and see if they look the same.

Should have said Saturns using Honda engine/powertrain, what I meant. As for MaxLife price, I can get it for ~$3.60/qt or less from AAP buying by the gal. But for ha ha's I might check with some GM dealers for price, though the change from Z-1 to DW-1 is unknown.

As bad as Z-1 gets beat up in this forum, though it hasn't been my experience in the infamous 01 Civic AT, I figure now is a good time to try ML.

OK, picked up the Accord last night and life begins again. Initial feel and drivability is excellent, have to take it back in 15 days for a checkup as part of the warranty. I think he is going to do the inital 3 qt drain and refill for inspection of glitter. I will post pic's and findings at the 5K mile mark and see if all is well. Thanks for the feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back