03 echo; 5K on oil; 282K on motor; Citgo SG blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Little background; had a partially stuck thermostat for 2 years; I thought the engine was just getting tired; turns out it was running hot. Suspected something was up, during hot weather pulling from a stop when the engine was under load, the pistons would "clang around" like there was no OP left. Had the WP and thermostat changed and noticed the difference in engine dynamics almost immediately getting onto the highway.

Figured I would do a UOA to check on the health/damage; Lab is B-S; there was a bit of RP 5W-30 as top off (1/3 qt) 2 qts makeup of Supergard 5W-30 blend and a pint of #132 (NOS) I will add this was a ARX rinse phase too. Also did 1000 mile trip in 90F @ 70-80mph and drank thru 1 of the 2 added qts.

I will using #132 as a thickener since I believe I should be running something closer to a 40weight with the # of miles.

edit:SG = Supergard; this was SN variety API

Now, onto the show--->
Al 2
Cr 0
Fe 3
Cu 2
Pb 0
Sn 0
Moly 74
Ni 0
Mn 0
Au 0
Ti 0
K 15
Boron 3
Si 4
Na 3
Ca 2163
Mg 14
Phos 639
Zn 715
Barium 0
Sus @ 210 58.5
Cst @ 100C 9.79
Fuel < .5
Glycol/H20 0
Insol .2
TBN 4.4

Quote:

It's been a few years since our last sample from your Echo, but things still look great in this engine. This was a shorter oil run than we saw previously, and that explains why wear metals dropped even lower this time around. Universal averages for this type of engine show typical wear after ~6,100 miles of oil use, and your metals are well below those levels. Potassium has been a normal find for your engine, though
we're not sure what the source is. As long as that's not from coolant, we don't see any harmful contaminants. The TBN was good at 4.4. Still going strong!

Last edited:
That avgs to 76 miles a day, 7 days a week since it was new. The engine has taken good care of you, looks like it will out last the body easily.

Those 1.5L Toyota engines are amazing, easily the toughest engine Toyota ever built.

Folks had a 1989 Tercel that ran for an entire day of stop and go with little to no oil in it (drainplug came out, I found it before dad got home), and continued to run fine for years after, although it burned oil.

These engines just won't die.....

Essentially a witch's brew ...
a Citgo oil, with some RP thrown in, after an ARX treatment, along with the #132 oil additive.

I don't know that we could credit any one particular portion of the potion. It's hard to praise or blame any component when the mix is so varied.

Regardless, the lube/engine combo is wearing extremely well. Nothing wrong there. You could easily double your OCI; even the TBN is strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back