02 Prius totaled/ Used car recomendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thankyou for all the advice so far. A car with more protection would be a plus. I will look into the Fusion Hybrid. Anyone have thoughts or experiences on a Camry, Camry Hybrid or a Corolla. What motor and trans are better. I have not kept up on things. I remember the 1.8L lived long. No knowledge on the 2.4 and 2.5L. Again thankyou all so far.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666

Originally Posted By: wemay

Sonata Hybrid

Not trying to start an argument, but I was a Sonata owner and active on Hyundai forums when the first gen Sonata hybid was released. It was really half baked and had problems. It also is rated significantly worse on MPG than the Prius.

The new gen Sonata hybrid is supposed to be better, but the first gen seems pretty underwhelming. I'd personally avoid it.

True. After some quick research, the previous generation Sonata Hybrid was the least reliable car they made. The new one is supposed to be better by a mile but doesn't have history to prove it.

Originally Posted By: Toaster_Jer
Does someone know this separate forum for this type of question.
There is a "Vehicle" area under "General Topics", but most likely a moderator will move this thread for you before long.

Originally Posted By: tojo1968
Quote:
Any car with 230,000 miles is well past its anticipated lifetime.

Says who?
I have never seen a manufacturer that gave a "life expectancy" for any of there vehicles.
My son has an 09 Sentra that is about to turn 300k and it runs as good as ever. My brother sold his 04 Matrix with almost 400k on it. My niece has an 04 Civic with almost 400k and a friend who has an 05 Sentra with 435k. Both run perfectly fine.
Life expectancy is only determined by the quality and quantity of maintenance, and the luck of not being hit by idiots.
Edit: Go to any Subaru forums and see how many people buy 200k Subies and put another 150k on them.

No OEM will give a number, but they certainly are aiming for "long enough" that the customer will chalk up repairs to age&wear and not design. I don't believe they are designing for something to wear out, but if it will cost more to make something that won't wear out, then I don't see them going to expend the effort either.

After a certain age&milage repairs pop up almost regularly. Nature of the beast. Many pay for labor, and downtime is a nuisance, thus for many 200-250k isn't a bad time to call it quits, if not sooner due to rust.

Other than replacing a little washer like pump that cools the inverter and the battery in the trunk, that 02' Prius was the most reliable trouble free car we ever owned. We never touched the hybrid batteries but this article was making us wonder how much life the batt. had left because theirs went out at 231,853 miles and ours was very close to that.

http://www.thedrive.com/opinion/4802/how-long-do-electric-car-batteries-really-last

Originally Posted By: 09_GXP
Originally Posted By: JimPghPA

If you are purchasing a used Hybrid be sure to get one that is only a couple of years old because the Hybrid battery only has a 10 year life expectancy, though many get more than 10 years out of them.

It's warrantied for 10 years, 150k miles. The life expectancy is further that that. If you don't have a dealer replace the battery you can get it done in a cost effective manner that makes

The cheap fix of only replacing the bad cell(s) will get it back on the road but it will not last long.

Quote:

Says who?
I have never seen a manufacturer that gave a "life expectancy" for any of there vehicles.

Sure you have. Look at the maintenance section in the owner's information. Note most end at about 150k. That's what most components are designed to last. Doesn't mean they will go past 150k and many last longer than that but it's their design life.

IIRC it's also standard auto industry practice to design for 150k life as well. At that mileage, most owners feel they "Got their money's worth".

That being said I'd also look at the Fusion hybrids. In-laws have one (13 or 14) and it's getting up there in mileage and they are not complaining things have broken.

As a car enthusiast it really pains me to say this. Get a Prius. Unless you want to trade mpg and reliability for driving fun it is the way to go. They are nice and cheap new right now and i would expect those discounts to trickle down to used models too. Cars like this can make sense to buy new if you cant find a very well priced used.

The Sonata hybrids are not selling around here. The dealers are advertising $7,000.00 off sticker...and not just "one only".

BTW- I just search "Chevy Volt" in my zip code and came up with 6 that were under 50,000 miles and under $15,000.00.

I guess they are not loved on here like Fords are. There was a 2013 with 29,000 miles for $14,289.00 from a Subaru dealer.

Last edited:
So far have driven an 06' Prius with 102,000 miles for $6,500. Their was fairly new Hankook tires which may be causing the road noise. I was unsure about the steering. Felt like I was constantly correcting. Also drove a 2010 with 170,000 miles for $6995 and I really like how easy it was to slide in. I think it reflects the mileage and/or some damage on front left fender. No road noise or tire noise from Michelin and Yokohama tires. It didn't have the brake regeneration feel like I am use too. Should that be? The 06' had quicker acceleration of the two. Haven't had the chance to drive a Corolla or Camry. Any thoughts?

I vote Mini Cooper (non turbo). 99k on mine, only problem so far was a thermostat housing @88k. I get 33 mpg regularly, and I drive it like it was meant to be driven. If I go all highway, I can get as much as 37 mpg. Great little car, excellent shape in and out, and everything from the interior, to the way the doors shut feel substantial, not like cheap econoboxes that are throw-aways. This Cooper actually replaced my '08 Prius that was totaled in a rear end collision. Maintenance has been super easy- I drive 100 miles a day, and would take it cross country if I had to with no worries.

Originally Posted By: Toaster_Jer
So far have driven an 06' Prius with 102,000 miles for $6,500. Their was fairly new Hankook tires which may be causing the road noise. I was unsure about the steering. Felt like I was constantly correcting. Any thoughts?

On the gen 2 Prius certain tires will give you that wandering, bobing and weaving feeling in the steering. My 05 did that with the original Goodyears on it but was rock solid with Michelins. Many others have reported the same problem with different brands of tires.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Quote:

Says who?

Sure you have. Look at the maintenance section in the owner's information. Note most end at about 150k. That's what most components are designed to last. Doesn't mean they will go past 150k and many last longer than that but it's their design life.

IIRC it's also standard auto industry practice to design for 150k life as well. At that mileage, most owners feel they "Got their money's worth".

That being said I'd also look at the Fusion hybrids. In-laws have one (13 or 14) and it's getting up there in mileage and they are not complaining things have broken.

This is probably one of the silliest things I have read here. Can you provide a link or citation of ANY manufacturer that has stated their vehicles are only good or designed for 150k?
BTW, common sense tells me that the schedule stops at 150k because very few people keep their cars longer than that.
Average vehicle life is 11.5 years X 12k miles a year is only 138,000 miles.
This

Of course they'll never state that they designed for x miles. They want people to buy thinking that it'll last forever. It's then up to the salesperson to convince people that they ought to replace every x years / y miles, "just so they never have to worry".

Makes sense to me to design for about 10yr/150k. That means most will go well past that, as it's not a limit, but a target. They want "all" (or darn near it) to go past 100k in order to keep their good name; but no sense designing something that will go a million miles, as it'll cost too much to sell--and very few are looking for such a creature. Most want to trade long before a decade is up anyhow.

Who does these "initial quality" things ? - I have owned dozens of cars/trucks/SUV and never have done a single one ...
My Fusion is at 90k trouble free - so too soon to tell ...
Toyota hybrid buyers need to stick with Toyota ...

Originally Posted By: supton
Of course they'll never state that they designed for x miles. They want people to buy thinking that it'll last forever. It's then up to the salesperson to convince people that they ought to replace every x years / y miles, "just so they never have to worry".

Makes sense to me to design for about 10yr/150k. That means most will go well past that, as it's not a limit, but a target. They want "all" (or darn near it) to go past 100k in order to keep their good name; but no sense designing something that will go a million miles, as it'll cost too much to sell--and very few are looking for such a creature. Most want to trade long before a decade is up anyhow.

Well said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back