02 Prius totaled/ Used car recomendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
As stated, the 02' Prius with 230,000 miles was totaled when a driver turned in front of my daughter on a green light. It was a hit and run and the damage trapped her in the car. So we are seeing what you all thought would be good to buy used for a car. My daughter does drive the wheels off so gas mileage is important. The 02' got 40mpg in town so we are looking at Prius' but looking at Camry too because the 02' was hard for me to slide in (the seat material and I couldn't raise the steering column high enough). Honestly the 2014 Corolla was the easiest to get into but owners must like them cause used Corollas seem thin picking around here. I spotted a 09 Camry hybrid haven't seen any Vibes yet. Didn't they use Toyota drive train? So what are your recomendations, what years are best and what to stay away from. Can't go too new due to price. 13,000 or less. Much Thanks

Your 14 year old Prius Hybrid with 230,000 miles was a car just waiting for the Hybrid battery to die any time now. The resale value of an old Hybrid would have been very very low, because no one wants to get stuck with a Hybrid with a dead battery and a big cost of a new Hybrid battery.

If you are purchasing a used Hybrid be sure to get one that is only a couple of years old because the Hybrid battery only has a 10 year life expectancy, though many get more than 10 years out of them.

Not sure if this is too small of a car, but we had a 2011 Honda Fit. I got around avg. mid 30s mpg in mostly suburban driving and had actual usable cargo space, when needed.

Yaris, Fit, Civic, Elantra, Accent, Rio, Forte, etc. Also, don't forget about Scion's XD

You can probably afford a CPO Hyundai or Kia within your budget. They come with the same 10-year/100k warranty as new. But only CPO from a Hyundai or Kia dealer. Other used Hyundais and Kias only get 5 years/60k.

DO NOT get a Fiesta or Focus with the automatic transmission!

Safety is more important than MPG. She could have been killed in that econobox. Give her some steel and keep her safe. Wspecially because shes driving alot. More chances for accidents. Older Camry, Accord, fusion will be better

Thought I'd mention there's a separate forum for this type of question... May have better luck there.

Last edited:
I just got an email flyer from the local Kia dealer advertising new Kia Rios for just over $13K. My wife gets around 40mpg in her 2013. It is a really nice car too. Has about 75K on it now, no problems.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA

If you are purchasing a used Hybrid be sure to get one that is only a couple of years old because the Hybrid battery only has a 10 year life expectancy, though many get more than 10 years out of them.

It's warrantied for 10 years, 150k miles. The life expectancy is further that that. If you don't have a dealer replace the battery you can get it done in a cost effective manner that makes

Originally Posted By: andrewp1998
Originally Posted By: leeaspell
Fusion hybrid.

+1

+2 Fusion Hybrid

I have a 2010 with 150,000 miles. My average mpg on the display is 46 mpg. If I "slow down my roll" to 60 mph (or less), averaging over 50 mph is not uncommon on mine. Original battery, original brakes and pads. Mobil 1 0W20 @ 10,000 intervals.

Great safety ratings on the 2010-12 models. A bit more mass & steel around the occupants. Better odds of walking away from an accident, than being trapped (or cut out of) a Prius.

Thats my take.

Originally Posted By: Toaster_Jer
As stated, the 02' Prius with 230,000 miles was totaled when a driver turned in front of my daughter on a green light. It was a hit and run and the damage trapped her in the car. So we are seeing what you all thought would be good to buy used for a car. My daughter does drive the wheels off so gas mileage is important. The 02' got 40mpg in town so we are looking at Prius' but looking at Camry too because the 02' was hard for me to slide in (the seat material and I couldn't raise the steering column high enough). Honestly the 2014 Corolla was the easiest to get into but owners must like them cause used Corollas seem thin picking around here. I spotted a 09 Camry hybrid haven't seen any Vibes yet. Didn't they use Toyota drive train? So what are your recomendations, what years are best and what to stay away from. Can't go too new due to price. 13,000 or less. Much Thanks

A Gen 3 (2010-2015) Prius gets my vote. You can easily find a well maintained low mileage one for 13k or under.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
Your 14 year old Prius Hybrid with 230,000 miles was a car just waiting for the Hybrid battery to die any time now. The resale value of an old Hybrid would have been very very low, because no one wants to get stuck with a Hybrid with a dead battery and a big cost of a new Hybrid battery.

Perhaps the battery had already been replaced. Regardless, this comment reflects a lack of understanding of this car. Any car with 230,000 miles is well past its anticipated lifetime. Further, in addition to being a superb hybrid, the Prius among the most reliable cars on the road---probably the most reliable.

Fusion hybrid.

+1

You are on the right track with getting another Prius. Ford Fusions are more expensive and far less reliable.

Originally Posted By: Best F100
Fusion hybrid.

+1

+2 Fusion Hybrid

I have a 2010 with 150,000 miles. My average mpg on the display is 46 mpg. If I "slow down my roll" to 60 mph (or less), averaging over 50 mph is not uncommon on mine. Original battery, original brakes and pads. Mobil 1 0W20 @ 10,000 intervals.

Great safety ratings on the 2010-12 models. A bit more mass & steel around the occupants. Better odds of walking away from an accident, than being trapped (or cut out of) a Prius.

Thats my take.

It is your take, but the Prius has slightly better safety ratings than the Fusion.

Originally Posted By: wemay

Sonata Hybrid

Not trying to start an argument, but I was a Sonata owner and active on Hyundai forums when the first gen Sonata hybid was released. It was really half baked and had problems. It also is rated significantly worse on MPG than the Prius.

The new gen Sonata hybrid is supposed to be better, but the first gen seems pretty underwhelming. I'd personally avoid it.

I love Fords as much as others on this board, but the Fusion Hybrid isn't something I'd recommend.
Owner reviews and initial quality reviews are so-so at best

Quote:
Any car with 230,000 miles is well past its anticipated lifetime.

Says who?
I have never seen a manufacturer that gave a "life expectancy" for any of there vehicles.
My son has an 09 Sentra that is about to turn 300k and it runs as good as ever. My brother sold his 04 Matrix with almost 400k on it. My niece has an 04 Civic with almost 400k and a friend who has an 05 Sentra with 435k. Both run perfectly fine.
Life expectancy is only determined by the quality and quantity of maintenance, and the luck of not being hit by idiots.
Edit: Go to any Subaru forums and see how many people buy 200k Subies and put another 150k on them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back