02 Honda Accord V6, Pennz 5W-20 dino +

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi friends, haven't been here for a while, hope you all are well.

02 Accord V6, 59K miles, 7,921 miles on the oil. 70% highway driving +/-. Pennzoil 5W-20 dino, plus Lube Control (3 oz. at change, +1 oz. each 1,000 miles), plus 6 oz. Sch. 132 at change. No top off oil needed. Had one oil change in between the two listed below, not tested. Same oil "strategy" on the previous report.
code:

Result 7,921 miles 4,650 miles

8/22/05 7/27/04

Aluminum 3 4

Chromium 1 1

Iron 5 4

Copper 4 3

Lead 1 1

Tin 0 6

Moly 268 253

Nickel 0 0

Manganese 1 0

Silver 0 0

Titanium 0 0

Potassium 0 1

Boron 14 19

Silicon 11 8

Sodium 3 2

Calcium 1323 1683

Magnesium 2 4

Phosphorus 510 607

Zinc 596 759

Barium 0 0

Viscosity 56.4 (range 51-58)

Flashpoint 400 (>385)

TBN 1.0 (was 3.2 on previous analysis)

Wish my medical checkups were this good!

Air filter element change was a few thousand miles overdue, did it about the time of this oil change.

Look forward to your comments, regards, Steve

[ September 21, 2005, 11:59 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

Forgot to include...used FP in gas at reco. dose.

Oil filter was Honda OEM, PCX-004, the one specced for the S2000.

That's an outstanding report. I hope my dad's 04 looks that good when it gets to 60k miles. Looks like you've about hit the mileage limit for that oil though.

Again, where are JB and Dr.T? They love to rub it in when one 5w-40 comes through looking good, but I rarely see these guy's on all the great 20wt UOA reports. Outstanding report.

quote:

That's an outstanding report. I hope my dad's 04 looks that good when it gets to 60k miles. Looks like you've about hit the mileage limit for that oil though.

Agreed

Real nice UOA! I see your copper is nice and low for a Honda V-6. Did you also use LC in the previous UOA? It appears more and more that using LC with a decent dino oil is a real good way to extend your OCI's and save money by not having to use a synthetic for a lot more money.

Whimsey

Yes, LC used at same (standard) dosage in the previous test. Seems to work well with the Pennz for this kind of interval.

" Lab for both analyses was Blackstone, FYI. "

Hey I helped too !
grin.gif

Apologies to Terry for omission...I am a very happy customer of Dyson Analysis, Terry evaluated both of these reports. I have put his recommendations to work in our car and in other cars in our extended family, as I have great confidence in his experience and judgment.

FT Man...actually, the mileage for the UOA you reference (in your second post) was not longer, it was for 7,152 miles. Mine was for 7,921 miles. Also, the other UOA was for Honda's 2.4 L 4 cylinder engine, not for the V-6. But MikeySoft did get excellent results with Pennz on its own. The TBN seems to be depleting more slowly in that engine...or does the addition of Sch. 132 in mine affect the TBN somewhat? Anyway, NBD.

I meant that the second link UOA was longer than on the first.
smile.gif
Sorry, I should have clarified that.

I think the PZ 5-20 can do you a good job all on its own, but if you like the additives, stick with them. They're probably doing no harm--and might even help to some extent. Your wear metals are lower.
smile.gif

Dan

JohnBrowning and Dr.T never show up in these reports. They hide like little girls under their beds.

This is a beautiful report, and it's nice to see that the wear metals in this engine, especially copper, do settle down after a time.

I'm still skeptical that the additives are a help. It would be nice to see a comparable interval under the same conditions without all the stuff added.

It's interesting that the low TBN didn't hurt you at all on this latest report compared to the higher TBN earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back