02 F150 w/issues after trans exploded

Hey all. I have an 02 F150 4.6 2WD. About 3 weeks ago my trans exploded while driving on the freeway due to snap ring falling out of the u-joints and the yoke going nuts and took out the tailshaft. The internals of the trans were frozen too. Anyhow, all at the same time, my alternator went, and I have a misfire on bank 1 cylinders 2, 3, and 4. I also hear a “sputtering” at my feet where the Y-pipe is located and have a rich smell in the cabin. Guessing when the trans exploded some of the shrapnel probably went everywhere. On a visual inspection I couldn’t find anything, I have yet to do a smoke test.

Got the trans rebuilt and installed, changed the alternator with a Bosch unit and everything thing there is good. However I still have the misfires and the sputtering with rich smell. I stumped at this point as I don’t know how a bank can be affected but only 3 cylinders out of 4 on that side.

I wrote down the values from the live scan at idle. The truck was fully warmed up.

Attachments

• 8EE8A7A9-31CE-4B42-AE2D-38FCC0326B48.jpeg
    8EE8A7A9-31CE-4B42-AE2D-38FCC0326B48.jpeg
    138.1 KB · Views: 28
  • CF8CA4FE-608A-4DAF-86D3-91B412C468A1.jpeg
    CF8CA4FE-608A-4DAF-86D3-91B412C468A1.jpeg
    193.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 4A522D97-0D8C-499F-AA18-DC0275ACEBDF.jpeg
    4A522D97-0D8C-499F-AA18-DC0275ACEBDF.jpeg
    187.5 KB · Views: 25
  • DDC07FEA-5EAC-44C1-BF4D-9A68B5FC1FE7.jpeg
    DDC07FEA-5EAC-44C1-BF4D-9A68B5FC1FE7.jpeg
    177.8 KB · Views: 23
  • B4B41E70-0D3B-4CEB-807C-A9000A1898A9.jpeg
    B4B41E70-0D3B-4CEB-807C-A9000A1898A9.jpeg
    173.4 KB · Views: 27
The counts are identical on all 3 cylinders, I can't see this being a coil issue. 3 fail at the same time?

Checking with an ohmmeter isn't a very accurate way to test unless they are obviously open or shorted. They need to be under load like when they are in the engine and running in drive. Swapping and watching misfire counts would be much better.
Will do. I’m going to put my noid light on the connectors too and see what’s going on.

Checking with an ohmmeter isn't a very accurate way to test unless they are obviously open or shorted. They need to be under load like when they are in the engine and running in drive. Swapping and watching misfire counts would be much better.
Will do. I’m going to put my noid light on the connectors too and see

My buddy had this problem and the time had jumped on that side of the engine due to failed guides.
I had a 98 Mustang with the same motor jump one tooth and it sounded horrible. My truck sounds fine, and I’m leaning towards O2 but still need to diagnose deeper

I think atikovi is on the right track. He's a good problem solver. I'd listen to him.
I would vote for timing jump.. after a violent issue that blew up the transmission seems more likely than a ground. that affects 3 cylinders.

of course there is possible issues from the transmission replacement maybe something wasnt properly connected/installed.

I had a 98 Mustang with the same motor jump one tooth and it sounded horrible. My truck sounds fine, and I’m leaning towards O2 but still need to diagnose deeper
His sounded mostly normal (a little rough) but was throwing misfire codes for one bank only. Not saying that's your problem, but it is a possibility.

You've got three cylinders with identical (not close, not similar) but identical misfire numbers. What's common with them - wiring or timing?

If it wasn't identical numbers, I'd go down the plugs and COPS route, but the fact they are identical is pointing elsewhere...

You've got three cylinders with identical (not close, not similar) but identical misfire numbers. What's common with them - wiring or timing?

If it wasn't identical numbers, I'd go down the plugs and COPS route, but the fact they are identical is pointing elsewhere...

The only thing I can think of coil wise is one coil is shorted and preventing the other 2 from firing.

Do you have fault codes? It’s not uncommon to damage the engine wiring when reinstalling a transmission where it dangles above the bell housing. This typically makes our fords in our fleet barely run and throw fault codes for everything rearward…o2 sensors, many evaporative emissions faults, etc.

Back