02 F150 w/issues after trans exploded

If the tail shaft section exploded and the alternator dropped at the same time, it sounds to me like the trans was in lockup, and the significance of carnage sounds to me like the engine was forced to cease rotation immediately. Rotating assemblies went from moving to stopped instantaneously, and the tail section is evidence that the energy had to go somewhere, violently. The alternator spins several times faster than engine rpm and had a lot of spinning energy (I guess it didn’t have an overrun clutch, or at least one that was working?). If so, I could see a cam jumping time if the chain tensioners have some springiness or give in them. Does the engine run with the same power it did before?

…agree with compression test… Quickest and easiest way for big clues …

smell could just be ATF near hot stuff. Or it could be poorly burned fuel if its a timing thing.

-m

Do you have fault codes? It’s not uncommon to damage the engine wiring when reinstalling a transmission where it dangles above the bell housing. This typically makes our fords in our fleet barely run and throw fault codes for everything rearward…o2 sensors, many evaporative emissions faults, etc.
I just downloaded Forscan so I will run codes soon

If the tail shaft section exploded and the alternator dropped at the same time, it sounds to me like the trans was in lockup, and the significance of carnage sounds to me like the engine was forced to cease rotation immediately. Rotating assemblies went from moving to stopped instantaneously, and the tail section is evidence that the energy had to go somewhere, violently. The alternator spins several times faster than engine rpm and had a lot of spinning energy (I guess it didn’t have an overrun clutch, or at least one that was working?). If so, I could see a cam jumping time if the chain tensioners have some springiness or give in them. Does the engine run with the same power it did before?

…agree with compression test… Quickest and easiest way for big clues …

smell could just be ATF near hot stuff. Or it could be poorly burned fuel if its a timing thing.

-m
I agree with your statements… I really hope it’s not a timing thing because I have been one tooth off before and it ran terribly. My truck runs the same and I cannot even feel the misfires in those cylinders. There is no loss of power that I can feel at all.

Just came back from a Test drive with Forscan data logging on my laptop. I had a total count of 7 misfires in a 1 hour drive. Shrtrmft and Lngtrmft were good except for bank 2 sensor 2 that showed around a 3% swing over the opposite bank. Also got a VSS DTC. I then pulled each coil connector and felt a very faint change in idle but a change nonetheless. All injectors showed no faults, TPS, IAC, CHT, all in normal range. I wonder if the shop lied to me..

A broken Bank 1 Upper Guide will usually show up as a Fuel Trim Imbalance between the 2 Banks, One will run Rich....The other Lean. It doesn't actually "Jump" Time.....It just Advances Bank 1 Cam/Valve Timing & maxes out Bank 1 chain tensioner.

I don't trust ANY of scan data provided in your initial post, Forscan is about the best Ford software outside IDS. While the Snap-on software works well.....I do not trust ANY live misfire data & use Mode $06.

A broken Bank 1 Upper Guide will usually show up as a Fuel Trim Imbalance between the 2 Banks, One will run Rich....The other Lean. It doesn't actually "Jump" Time.....It just Advances Bank 1 Cam/Valve Timing & maxes out Bank 1 chain tensioner.

I don't trust ANY of scan data provided in your initial post, Forscan is about the best Ford software outside IDS. While the Snap-on software works well.....I do not trust ANY live misfire data & use Mode $06.
Bank 1 upper guide meaning timing chain tensioner guide?

I forgot to mention that bank 2 has a exhaust manifold leak (common on 97-03 F150’s)

Bank 1 upper guide meaning timing chain tensioner guide?

No....The Upper Stationary Guide, Not the lower pivoting Tensioner Guide. The most common failure on a 2V Modular is for upper hold down to break allowing the guide to pivot & rest against the Timing Cover.

3V engines have a tendency to completely destroy the guide, Chewing it up & depositing it all in the bottom of the oil pan.

No....The Upper Stationary Guide, Not the lower pivoting Tensioner Guide. The most common failure on a 2V Modular is for upper hold down to break allowing the guide to pivot & rest against the Timing Cover.

3V engines have a tendency to completely destroy the guide, Chewing it up & depositing it all in the bottom of the oil pan.
Isn’t that accompanied with a sewing machine type ticking? I changed out the timing components in my 2001 Mustang GT with OEM Ford parts after I had that ticking from bank 1 timing cover area. My F-150 doesn’t have that tick, but can it still be broken?

Last edited:
I'm NOT saying you have a broken guide, But this thread mentioned Cam/Valve Timing several times. I was just sharing my experience.
Understood. Yea I’ve had experience with a mod motor being a tooth off and PTV was super evident. My truck has no power loss and zero hesitation upon revving. I just have to learn the values in Forscan better.

Just came back from a Test drive with Forscan data logging on my laptop. I had a total count of 7 misfires in a 1 hour drive. Shrtrmft and Lngtrmft were good except for bank 2 sensor 2 that showed around a 3% swing over the opposite bank. Also got a VSS DTC. I then pulled each coil connector and felt a very faint change in idle but a change nonetheless. All injectors showed no faults, TPS, IAC, CHT, all in normal range. I wonder if the shop lied to me..
Lied about?

Lied about?
My truck having 244 misfires in cylinders 2-3-4. I ran my truck 3 times today all 3 drives about 45 mins each and data logged with Forscan. I had no misfires after I cleared DTC’s.

Attachments

• 9966C372-F866-4766-BA54-45CB64482A49.jpeg
    9966C372-F866-4766-BA54-45CB64482A49.jpeg
    166.3 KB · Views: 17
My truck having 244 misfires in cylinders 2-3-4. I ran my truck 3 times today all 3 drives about 45 mins each and data logged with Forscan. I had no misfires after I cleared DTC’s.
I'm pretty sure this is why clinebarger doesn't trust live scan tool data. Sometimes they make their own data up. As do ecm/pcm's sometimes

I personally find it very odd that 3 cylinders had the exact same number of misfires

Am I on glue or is that injector data? (INJ)

I've typically used Mode 6 to monitor misfires and it seems to be reasonably accurate. Ford is notorious for not setting a CEL for huge numbers of misfires, even when you can feel them.

Sounds like bad data was your issue. Catalyst damaging misfires are single-trip codes, if there was something to report you would know it. The fact you took it on 3 drives of 45 minutes plus indicates the engine is likely just fine.

Back