0 deg vs 15 deg offset wrenches

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the market for a new long 14mm wrench and came across this wrench:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?...re&tool=all

I know that the 0 deg offset wrenches are king when it comes to serpentine belt tensioners.

However, I was wondering how practical they are as a replacement for your normal 15-deg offset wrenches under normal use. I think the 0 deg offset wrenches are probably ok for oil drain plugs, but would be less than ideal for brake calipers.

Thoughts?

I have a set which I have really only used on certain fasteners in the Buick when I had to do the oil pan gasket. Get a set of racheting ones instead.

I hate mine. I think very early on I bought some, found out how much skin they scrape, and trashed them. Then forgot.
Several years ago I bought the first revision of GearWrench, and found out all over again how bad 0 degree offset is.

Last edited:
I have the old style Lisle serpentine belt wrench. It is really just a long flat bar with a handle and takes 2-3 different sockets. But it makes simple work of pulling back the tensioner. I got it at Sears hardware on closeout for $10. I also bought a full set of long offset metric box end wrenches at a garage sale for $15. They have no name on them but are really high quality forged chrome. I could never pay $48 for a wrench.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back