0-65 mph within 90 seconds of cold start?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've completed my ARx rinse cycle and filled the crank case with Mobil 1 0w-40 that I had previously set aside for my Cayman (switched to Mobil 1 5w-50 for that application). No noticeable difference in the characteristics of the engine vs. the Castrol 10w-40 it replaced, but the driver feels better about it!!

That was my last case of Mobil 1 0w-40. I plan to run Shell Rotella T6 after this OCI because that's also what I'll run in my wife's 06 Jetta TDI...plus there are 9 gallons of it in the garage after a recent sale at AutoZone.

Run only synthetic oil and consider a 5w. Park the car with the grill facing away from the wind direction. Let the car warm for 2-3 minutes before you start your drive.

I would do 0-60 in as fast as I could muster when I lived in Allentown at our old apt.

I lived maybe 3-5 mins from the interstate, depending on the sitting I did at the lights.

The highway I would take to work you had to stop at the on ramp as it was designed this way. The Forester has analog auto-temp control. As in no digital readout just a knob to adjust the desired temp. Well a function of this is it will not blast heat until coolant has reached a certain temp.

From the manual
NOTE:
With the fan speed control dial in the AUTO position
and the air flow control dial in the “ ”,
“ ”, or “ ” position, the fan does not operate
during engine warmup until the engine coolant
temperature exceeds approx. 122°F (50°C).

So as the engine would warm I'd start to here turn very slow but it would not run full force until I merged onto the highway. This tells me that I was certainly below or right at 122F coolant temp. I did this for a year with regular 5w30 in the engine and it never seemed to bother the car. I would have to go almost WOT on the cold engine in first gear since traffic was moving along at no less than 60MPH.

Now granted this isn't 90 secs after start although it could be if I got the lights timed perfect point is the car didn't care, I wasn't going to sit & eat gas for 5 mins for no benefit. The car is a tool, used like a tool, sometimes they break if you don't maintain them and sometimes they do even despite that.

Use a synthetic oil and worry little, your car & your stomach will thank you.

As to the suggestion to go slower on the highway as if that is some benefit to the engine. Speed limits are not suggestion, they are cold hard law. If you don't intend to go the speed limit at a minimum then please stay off the highway. More accidents occur from going slower on the highway than speeding. If the speed issue is of concern than do as suggested and take the road to the next exit instead. Speed limits were designed for safety but above all else to control traffic & congestion. Going slower shows no real world benefit to anyone unless you like inciting "road rage".

I had a conversation with a well respected member a while ago about this topic, he had a comment that stuck with me. "Engines are built tougher than we think". I think there's a lot of truth to that saying.

Hmm i ALWAYS warm my car up before driving.

I drive my girlfriend to work. So she wakes my up around 7:00 i go turn the car on. Come back, get the kids ready to go. We leave between 7:10 and 7:25. Car is nice and toasty and almost to OPTEMP.

Originally Posted By: Kaie

I drive my girlfriend to work. So she wakes my up around 7:00 i go turn the car on. Come back, get the kids ready to go. We leave between 7:10 and 7:25. Car is nice and toasty and almost to OPTEMP.

Correction...

The coolant is but the engine oil & automatic trans fluid is not or gear oil if manual.

Like I said the perceived benefit is human alone, the engine could care less. Warm it up for yourself but don't think you are doing the car itself any favors.

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223

Correction...

The coolant is but the engine oil & automatic trans fluid is not or gear oil if manual.

Like I said the perceived benefit is human alone, the engine could care less. Warm it up for yourself but don't think you are doing the car itself any favors.

Conduction works great.

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223

Correction...

I figured the oil would be pumped around too.

I give my car about a minute of idle time, then I drive easy for the first 4 or 5 miles. I don't want my car sitting there idling, running rich, blowing fuel out the tailpipe. It warms up much faster when driving.

If your car is blowing fuel out of the tailpipe than you have larger issues than driving it cold.

I figured the oil would be pumped around too.

O it is without a doubt. Full circulation takes seconds after start-up to achieve this it just won't be at the oil's operating temp.

Oil temp always lags behind coolant temp when cold to some degree.

Letting a car 'warm up' is rather stupid. It's a dumb myth that will never die. You'll warm it up much faster by just driving it around and putting load on the engine. Excessive idling when cold causes fuel dilution, wastes gas, and pollutes.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Letting a car 'warm up' is rather stupid. It's a dumb myth that will never die. You'll warm it up much faster by just driving it around and putting load on the engine. Excessive idling when cold causes fuel dilution, wastes gas, and pollutes.

+1
sometimes i will take the long way out of my neighborhood.

I was referring to the rich running condition when at cold idle, the fuel burn is very inneficient, some of it is going out the tailpipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back