1/2 Quart Over Fill of Oil....

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dauhgter drives a 2007 Toyota Yaris, 1.5L 4 banger. JippLube overfilled her oil by about 1/2 quart, and I didn't discover it until she drove on that oil for about 1,500 miles. I drained out the oil bringing the level to the fill line. Should she be worried about any engine damage? Extra wear on the internal engine parts? Are their internal "splashers" that, when under the oil line, will not be effective?

Any advise would be great.

Quote:

My dauhgter drives a 2007 Toyota Yaris, 1.5L 4 banger. JippLube overfilled her oil by about 1/2 quart, and I didn't discover it until she drove on that oil for about 1,500 miles. I drained out the oil bringing the level to the fill line. Should she be worried about any engine damage? Extra wear on the internal engine parts? Are their internal "splashers" that, when under the oil line, will not be effective?

Any advise would be great.

I'm not a Yaris expert...but almost all engines can handle a 1/2 quart over without issue. My money would bet on this being a non issue.

Hammer

Quote:

Don't go to JippLube again.

Yea, she normally asks me to change the oil, but that weekend I was out of state, and she just could not wait another weekend....for only ---- knows why!
crazy.gif

Yea, normally no JippyLube for us...

The dealer over filled the engine with at least half a quart on two different oci's before I started changing the oil myself. The engine burned it down eventually before the next oci's were due and I havent noticed any problems or changes with the engine since then.

I over filled my Outback by about 1/2 quart and it went around 100 miles before I figured out what was wrong (@#$^%%$& poor designed dipstick).
mad.gif

I sucked out the 1/2 quart and all is fine. The UOAs have been coming back with perfect results so I'm not worried.

Having oil come out the dipstick tube and spray oil is not good and had me worried.
shocked.gif

Just get the extra amount out and I'm sure your ok.

But, like the others have said, iffy lube is not good. We now take all of our work vehicles to them and it BLOWS me away how they do their oil changes. (its cheaper to have them do it then the state mech)
dunno.gif

They are better then NO oil change. But be carefull.

Take care, bill
patriot.gif

I don't know about a Toyota Yaris, but I routinely run a full quart over in both my Chevy pick'm-up truck and Buick on purpose, with no averse effects at all. At least with the GM 5.7 V8 and 3.8 V6, there's no problem. I get more time out of my oil that way. Strength in numbers = Strength in quarts.
smile.gif

Will hurt nothing,all my rides are 1/4-1/2 qt over, more
oil the better,lasts longer, cools a little better, win win
situation.

I've accidently overfilled plenty of times in numerous vehicles. As long as you're not grossly overfilled, don't worry about it.

BTW, IMO, 1/2 quart on a 1.5L is a bunch, unless you have some oil consumption issues.
1/2 quart on a 4.7 isn't much.

Smaller engines and sumps overfill with lesser amounts. Use common sense. Also, if you don't have a pela extractor, and don't want to loosen a drainplug so that it can drip out slowly, another way to reduce oil level is to remove-drain-reinstall the oil filter, right in the jippylube parking lot.

Now, did you fill it to the 'FULL' line or to the 'FILL' line
grin.gif
Time to top it off!

Non-issue on the Yaris. It happens all the time and engineers know it. Never seen an issue on a Toyota until 1+ quarts overfilled. I once had a customer who filled the engine ALL the way up with oil. Not good.

Dipsticks are intentionally designed not to use the entire actual capacity of the sump for this very reason. I found a graphic once from a service manual (for a Ford Crown Vic) that showed actual maximum was an inch over the full mark.

remember, a running engine usually has a lot of the oil in other parts of the crankcase and head, so cruising on the highway the sump will be down a couple quarts. You would have to be severely overfilled to have the crank still contacting staganant oil.

I cannot over-emphasize staying away from J-lube. You have no idea what they are even pumping in the Yaris. The dealership's lube center would be the lesser of two evils if you had to choose. At least they will use a good filter and the bulk oil they keep will most certainly be either 5W20 or 5W30. If it's the dealer she purchased the car from she will have alot more going for her if the "lube tech" messes up something.
Naturally, if you can do it that would be best but if she's too impatient to wait on you send her back to the dealer.

Yes those quick lube places tend to tear up more than they fix. Found that out years ago personally. Never been back since, accept to drop off my drained oil after changing it myself.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back