2000 Accord 3.0 VTEC V-6...Timing Chain or Belt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Step Daughter asked me to look at a 2000 Accord for her. Car is in excellent shape and has 122K miles. But does the V-6 have a timing chain or belt? Owner's husband wasn't home. A quick glance in the owner's manual made reference to a timing belt on the 4 cylinder only. So I'm ASSUMING it's a chain for the V-6. Anyone know for sure?

I also want to ask about service on the auto tranny since that's a known problem area.

This motor uses a belt,it must be serviced according to the manufacturers recommended mileage.A transmission fluid exchange machine is probably the best way to service the transmission but keep in mind the pan will still need to be dropped and cleaned along with changing the filter.There are ways to do this at home but if you think its going to be to much of a project take it to the dealer not some 5 minute lube place where the only thing getting flushed is your wallet.

Agree. I did some research and the V-6 does indeed have a timing belt.

I talked with the husband and he stated that the transmission was serviced every 30K miles. But he couldn't tell me if the timing belt was replaced. He stated that the car got "all required service by a Honda dealer". And he claimed he was a mechanic by trade but didn't know if the engine had a timing belt. Somethings fishy...gonna tell step daughter to pass on the car.

New Timing Belt, Water Pump, Drive Belts, spark plugs, and actual valve adjustment is needed every 105k. Cost is between $800-$1200 depending on where you have it done. Book rate is 6+ hours.

It's best to service this transmission by removing the magnetic drain plug to wipe the metal shavings off.

If he said all of the required service was done by a Honda dealership, ask him for the name of the dealerships, obtain the vehicle VIN, and head over to the dealership to obtain a copy of the service records.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back