Picking Up A Benz Tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim

Flying out to pick up an '83 300SD tomorrow. 78k documented, almost all one-owner miles.

The oil was last changed in late May, and the car has been driven less than 500 miles since.

I'm thinking I might stop by a Wal-Mart after I pick her up and get three gallons of either Rotella 5W-40 or maybe Delo 15W-40 and then just have someone do a drain and re-fill for the 1,300 mile drive home.

I debated bringing some AutoRx with me...but then I'd have to check my bag
frown.gif

Delo would do good, keeps my OM616 turbo as well as my 300TD insides clean, consumption is real low even after 280,000 miles, I just got the 300TD from my aunt, it was maintained by MB in US and in India.

She ran fine on the 1,300 mile drive home. Wally World had Delvac 1300 so I picked up two gallons and did a drain/re-fill just to get me home.

30mpg for a 24 year old 3,700 lb car isn't bad. Just make sure you are not in a hurry!!!
smile.gif

Be careful, those old MB diesels can outlive their owners! I love those old tanks and they don't make them now like they used to.

Last UOA I saw on those it looked like they need a change at around 12K... oil was fine, but it was lousy with soot.

Yep, soot loading is your biggest issue. About 0.5% per 4-5000 miles. consider switching to a syn, delvac 1 is good, and gave me the best fuel economy. Delo gave me the worst, in its old formulation, but it is really good now (not that it wasnt always good - its just that my numbers showed what they showed), so it would be my second choice - I actually have it in my wrecked w123 right now, and will leave it in through when I get it fixed - then will do a few more shorter OCIS with Auto-rx prior to switching to my new new 5w-40, schaeffer's...

JMH

I am thinking about putting a Frantz on this Benz. I had an Oilguard on my TDI, but I suspect the toilet paper will handle soot better than the Oilguard.

Or maybe I'll just spend the $200 on increasing my stash
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back