06 Impala Coolant Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got an 06 Impala about a month ago with 18500 miles on it.First thing i did was bring it home and change the oil.While doing a routine fluid check yesterday i notice that the coolant overflow jug is almost empty and has reddish brown deposits stuck to the sides.We have only put 2300 miles on the car,surely this cant be normal .Anyway i topped off the coolant overflow jug with about a 1/2 gallon of a 60/40 mix of dexcool.Heres my question.If i change the oil now will an analysis show if the coolant is going in the motor with only 2200 miles on the oil or should i wait till the OLM says to change it and send that in for a sample? The OLM is showing 71% oil life left.By the way the oil looks very good.No signs of a massive coolant leak.

If it was leaking, it would show, but if there is no other majorly obvious signs of leakage and considering it's an 06 with low mileage, I'd get another 1,000 or so miles out of the oil and do a UOA.

I wouldn't sweat it. You've got lots of 3/36 warranty remaining. I've never seen a newer GM pushrod V6 without deposits in the overflow bottle.

Joel

So the deposits are normal.I know my s10 had them but only after around 100k.I do have a warranty all the way to 39k because it was a certified used car.

When I bought my 2000 Impala (also used) it had a ton of crud in the overflow bottle and in the filler neck. Apparently there was a TSB explaining that it was the result of sealant pellet residue. The 'fix' in the TSB was to wipe off the rad cap and filler neck and send the customer on his/her way...with an overflow bottle that you couldn't even read anymore due to all the crud. Practically impossible to clean too because of its design.

Crap like that in the overflow bottle is NOT normal. They ought to give you a complete flushout of the cooling system and a new overflow bottle, but it 'aint gonna happen'.

I can't believe the numbnuts at Chevy haven't learned anything in 6 years. I dumped my Impala for a Honda, good riddance.

The LZ4? 3500 V6 engine in the 2006 Impala contains an updated metal framed intake manifold gasket, unlike the plastic one in the LX9? series 3500 V6 in the Malibu and minivans.

There is also a physical barrier in this engine that allows for separation of coolant and oil, thus greatly reducing or eliminating the potential of coolant intrustion into the engine oil.

And yes, I'd analyze the oil ASAP and have the car looked at by a dealership.

quote:

i notice that the coolant overflow jug is almost empty and has reddish brown deposits stuck to the sides.

I Got to wonder if someone used stop leak in it with the brown color deposits. Is this the V6? If so I would do a UOA ASAP.

Hi

quote:

There is also a physical barrier in this engine that allows for separation of coolant and oil, thus greatly reducing or eliminating the potential of coolant intrustion into the engine oil.

I think thats the 3900 with the barrier. I have seen a '06 G6 w/ 3500 and it still had the plastic LIM gasket, but was not sure about the VVT flavor just arriving.

If I had a brand-new '06 car with that little of mileage and saw that, I'd be at the dealer for sure - there's no reason for crud to be in the overflow tank of a brandnew ride. Even if it doesn't mean anything - I don't know here - at least if it were taken to the dealer it would be documented for future need, if need be.

We're getting ready to home in on a new '06 Nissan Xterra, and I SURELY wouldn't want something like that to be in my coolant system.

But, I've also had my share of cooling issues and have made my cooling systems top priority.

quote:

Originally posted by therealdeal770:
While doing a routine fluid check yesterday i notice that the coolant overflow jug is almost empty and has reddish brown deposits stuck to the sides.

You can clean out the inside of the overflow jug with rock salt and a little water.

Close off the hose port with a large vacuum cap. Just fill up the jug half way with rock salt and add a little water so it will swish. Just start shaking it up real hard. It works like a charm and makes it look like new.
smile.gif

-

Thats rust in the overflow bottle.The result of letting the dexcool run low.

quote:

Originally posted by JTK:
I wouldn't sweat it. You've got lots of 3/36 warranty remaining. I've never seen a newer GM pushrod V6 without deposits in the overflow bottle.

Joel

... with GM Coolant tabs, I find the best way is to crush the tabs - then put them in the gallon jug coolant mix & shake well before adding to the radiator -- THEN ADDING MORE TO THE OVERFLOW TANK. I generally use an old, emptied windshield washer jug for this purpose -- also even keeping antifreeze in on a permanent basis. I generally make the jug with a magic-marker on both sides of the windshield washer jug.

This set-up is not too difficult for a dealer to figure out either. I use the hottest water to obtain my 60-40 mix -- then find the coolant tabs dissolve much easier in the bottle.

Just a thought for you folks, but could the brown residue be oil? I know coolant can get into the oil, but can't oil go the other way and get in the coolant?

The G6, Malibu, Malibu Maxx, and the minivans all share the same version of the 3500 V6, one that contains the plastic framed intake manifold gasket. This particular version of the 3500 V6 is being phased out in favor of the one used in the Impala and Monte Carlo. The version of the 3500 V6 used in the Monte Carlo and Impala contained the metal intake manifold gasket and a physical barrier allow for separation of the oil and coolant.

ALL version of the 3900 V6 have the metal framed intake manifold gasket and the physical separation of oil and coolant.

The best way to add GM cooling system sealer pellets is to add them to a radiator hose during a routine coolant change. Crushing them is merely for the ease of installation. You are NOT supposed to add them to the surge tank...there is simply not enough flow to the surge reservoir to allow adequate circulation of the pellets throughout the entire system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back