Transmission fluid for a 94 Lincoln AOD-E?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am confused...I want to change the transmission fluid and filter and drain the torque converter (drain plug is there!)in my 94 Town car.

I did a search on MERCON and got all kinds of conflicting reports.

The owner's manual says to use MERCON, but several folks recommend MERCON V....now I see that MERCON V may not be ok in the trans, though I was going to use it....

Then there are the MULTI-VEHICLE atf's....what the heck do I do?????????? H E L P????

dunno.gif
dunno.gif
dunno.gif
confused.gif

Do not use Mercon V in AOD-E transmissions.

MV should only go in 4R70W transmissions in TownCars, Vics, TBirds' and Gmarq's.

That's great your TownCar has the drain plug for the TQ.

Use Mercon/DexIII ATF. I have used Super Tech DEXIII/Mercon in a '95 K1500 4l60e trans with 160k + miles and worked fine.

I have also used the MV version from Castrol and Quaker State in my '96 Crown Vic, so I would assume the Mercon version from Castrol and Quaker State are good too.

I would stay away from "multi vehicle ATF".

Check out www.crownvic.net.

Great forum for Town Car, Vic, GMarq owners.

Jerry Wroblewski, the "father of the 4R70W", said in his definitive work (which can be found here) that he recommends Mercon V for "all AODEs and 4R70Ws".

Click the link and scroll down to near the bottom where it says: "What transmission fluid should I use?"

In searching the internet, I found a TSB directly from FORD, dated 2004....

It specifically identifies the pre-1996 Lincoln town Car, Mercury Grand Marquis and Ford Crown Vic as using MERCON V with the AOD-E....

So, now I have the real answer...thanks

From Ford's website:

http://www.motorcraft.com/products.do?item=15

quote:

MERCON® V Automatic Transmission Fluid
- An approved MERCON® fluid
- Increased protection against wear, deposits, rust and corrosion
- Improved low-temperature shifting
- Guards against transmission shudder
- Engineered and recommended by Ford Motor Company for use in automatic transmissions ONLY where MERCON® V is specified.
- Use for all AODE and 4R70W transmissions

Use any MerconV that states that it can be used with in Mercon or DexronIII and quit worrying.

Ford had a problem with their Mercon-V. It had issues with certain transmissions and seals. Their Mercon-V has been updated(black vs red bottles). Just don't use the motorcraft!

I wish that Ford would be more specific in their TSB's or recommendations, which IMO should've read, "Do not use Motorcraft Mercon-V in transmission requiring DexronIII or Mercon". That would've prevented confusion. Automakers don't want to blame themselves ever. Generalized warnings shouldn't be taken too seriously.

Any of the other brands will work fine.

the only problem with your assumption is the potential of other brands to use similar chemistry and therefore, exhibit the same problems as Motorcraft Mercon-V. Therefore, it is my suggestion for people to stick with Mercon and avoid Mercon-V in the trannies that don't specify Mercon-V.

Hammer

All the non-motorcraft Mercon-V brands that I've seen at the local autoparts stores are Mercon/Dexron backwards compatible. So, they weren't blending for "1" spec. They're blended for all specs listed on the bottle or MFG's product data sheet. Know your fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back