2015 MB GLA250: OEM oil vs Mobil1 Formula M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi bitogers,
I have a lovely 2015 MB Gla250 that my wife rarely drives, it still has plenty of warranty and I go to a dealer once a year for A/B services.
I also do an interim 6-month oil change at an indy MB mechanic (might be a waste, but I don't trust an annual oil change) and here is what I've noticed.
Whenever I go to a dealer they use MB OEM 5w40, when my mechanic uses Mobil1 5w40 Formula M.
It might be only it my head, but I feel like it runs way better on the OEM oil, smoother and quieter.
I did hear that OEM oil is not Mobil1 anymore, but is it really way better? If so, who produces it?
Thx for your attention

Last edited:
I have always found that Mobil 1 oils(especially in the lower grades e.g., 5W20/5W30) to make my engines more audible. Others may disagree.

Originally Posted by SlavaB
Hi bitogers,
I have a lovely 2015 MB Gla250 that my wife rarely drives, it still has plenty of warranty and I go to a dealer once a year for A/B services.
I also do an interim 6-month oil change at an indy MB mechanic (might be a waste, but I don't trust an annual oil change) and here is what I've noticed.
Whenever I go to a dealer they use MB OEM 5w40, when my mechanic uses Mobil1 5w40 Formula M.
It might be only it my head, but I feel like it runs way better on the OEM oil, smoother and quieter.
I did hear that OEM oil is not Mobil1 anymore, but is it really way better? If so, who produces it?
Thx for your attention

I used Mobil1 0W40 in VW CC and VW Tiguan. It is loud oil, to put it this way. I have a feeling it is pretty loud in my Toyota SIenna too, but not sure until I try another oil. Take into consideration that MB 5W40 OEM is made by Mobil1, but it could be that MB is requiring from Mobil1 different mix.
You can use ANY oil in your MB as long as it meets MB approvals:
MB229.5=Gas
or let's say if one has diesel:
MB229.51 or MB229.52=Diesel.

If it is gas, you can use Castrol Edge 0W40 that is available in Wal Mart for $24 for 5qt and it is pretty much regarded as best choice for Euro gassers.

Last edited:
Thx edyvw for you reply!
Actually I'm aware of MB approvals.
I'm not positive on 0w40 oils, from what i know MB specifically puts 5w40 now to eliminate oil burning issue.
Also pretty sure OEM isn't Mobil1 anymore, they already had a special version for MB which is Formula M and you still can buy it.
There was a thread somewhere that OEM is a different provider now that's why I wondered.
Anyways, will probably stick to OEM oil as it works better

I think the Mobil 1 M 5-40 and MB 5-40 are the same. MB wanted to make the money instead of sending you to Mobil. Pretty sure Mobil 1 makes it for them. I was told recently by a service guy at the dealer that even though they have Mobil 1 stickers under the hood they don't come with Mobil 1 in them. At one time he had the job of putting the stickers on the cars at the import yard.

Thx edyvw for you reply!
Actually I'm aware of MB approvals.
I'm not positive on 0w40 oils, from what i know MB specifically puts 5w40 now to eliminate oil burning issue.
Also pretty sure OEM isn't Mobil1 anymore, they already had a special version for MB which is Formula M and you still can buy it.
There was a thread somewhere that OEM is a different provider now that's why I wondered.
Anyways, will probably stick to OEM oil as it works better

Not sure how would you eliminate burning with 5W40 compared to 0W40. Castrol 0W40 has cst of 13.1, I would say it would be in same range with MB 5W40. Also, Castrol's NOACK is 9.1%.
Your choice, but you might be "burning" money for nothing.

you're probably right, I'm not an expert in oils, just have read somewhere on the web that 0w40 was too thin and led to a small oil burning and taht's why they have switched over to 5w40, might be just a myth.

The winter (W) rating doesn't have anything to do with the thickness or thinness of the oil except at very cold temperatures. Then, both are massively thicker than at operating temperature.

that's my bad, I just said what I've heard without thinking about it

that's my bad, I just said what I've heard without thinking about it

Both Castrol 0W40 and that MB 5W40 are MB 229.5.
You tried Mobil1 Formula M. Nothing stops you to try Castrol 0W40. If it doesn't work, you can always go back to MB oil.

Nothing special with the Group III MB OEM 5W-40 without PAO, moly, and magnesium. You will be better off with M1 FS 0W-40 or Castrol 0W-40, which contain PAO, moly, and magnesium.

M1 Formula M 5W-40 has no PAO.

Originally Posted by Gokhan
Nothing special with the Group III MB OEM 5W-40 without PAO, moly, and magnesium. You will be better off with M1 FS 0W-40 or Castrol 0W-40, which contain PAO, moly, and magnesium.

M1 FS is now GTL oil, and not standing out at all.

I'm ordering 6 quarts of Castrol 0w40 from Walmart and just shocked with the price, it's about 30-35% cheaper

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by Gokhan

M1 FS is now GTL oil, and not standing out at all.

I know but it still has some PAO. Non-FS formulation had Group III Visom instead of GTL.

Same goes for Castrol 0W-40. It doesn't have much PAO anymore.

Always interesting to hear all the predictions on M1 ... what base stock ... they don't make that anymore etc ...
Hard business to follow ... they combine virtually every base stock out there and have dealers choice to mix within the latitudes of specs/guidelines ...
And no matter what that combo is ... or viscosity is ... the oil is said to be loud ... and never the first reading or theory to go with this ...
My 5.3L's are far quieter on M1 0w20 than these chain monsters are on many types of oil ... even the thick stuff ...like M1 Form M 5w40 in my ecoboost ... at least it was better than PUP ...
My driver did 745k miles on M1 ... original engine ... never ran anything else ... he's probably too old to notice the noise ...
Merry Christmas from the EU ... from the esso station by my hotel ... what is in the (don't make it) New Life ?

new life.JPG

Last edited:
Go with the 40 grade oil that has the highest cSt @ 100° viscosity (and meets MB's spec). You will need it to offset the fuel dilution the engine probably suffers from.

Originally Posted by doyall
Go with the 40 grade oil that has the highest cSt @ 100° viscosity (and meets MB's spec). You will need it to offset the fuel dilution the engine probably suffers from.

That engine does not have fuel dilution issues. It is not Ford or Honda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back