Mixing oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, cold end is where the predicatbilty of your brews are at their worst. There are documented cases of the interaction of the residual factory fill in some Toyotas, and the first service fill not behaving together, and not pumping even at relatively high ambient temperatures.

I keep wheeling it out, and everyone claims that there has NEVER been an incident, or they've NEVER heard of one...that's selective bias.

If you need a 0W...don't mix although Amsoil SS SHOULD be one of the safest mixes out there.

Mixing SS, in a vehicle under warranty … absolute best of both worlds in warranty denial (especially if Amsoil are saying don't do it, it would void their limited liability offering too, one would imagine.)

Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
Originally Posted by Newman88
What about different brand mixing and weight mixing?
Is thay ok as well?

Yes, mixing may reduce the performamce of the additive package somewhat but i have yet to see anybody have any kind of lubrication related problem from mixing.

Mixing can ADD to the performance level also. The addition of different additives may boost the life of the oil.
I've been blending almost regularly for 31 years now (1987 Pontiac) and my current and past vehicles are living proof it works fine.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Mixing can ADD to the performance level also. The addition of different additives may boost the life of the oil.
I've been blending almost regularly for 31 years now (1987 Pontiac) and my current and past vehicles are living proof it works fine.

By CAN, and MAY do you mean that you've got evidence that blending mixing (the word is mixing...blenders take components, and with science create a formulated oil) two already fully formulated oils can end up with an oil that is better than either of them in all performance criteria ?

"Works fine"
"nothing blew up"

Aren't evidence that your mixes are better then either of the original oils.

Companies are soooo risk-averse, that Hellman's will advise against mixing oil, water, vinegar, and eggs. They simply have to avoid any semblance of blame if something breaks, even if it isn't their fault (and it usually isn't).

Now you're just being silly. There's no way you can make a quantitative determination that your ad hoc blending is superior to any of the oils you used.

Plus, "works fine" is not the same as better.

Originally Posted by Buick8
Companies are soooo risk-averse, that Hellman's will advise against mixing oil, water, vinegar, and eggs. They simply have to avoid any semblance of blame if something breaks, even if it isn't their fault (and it usually isn't).

If an oil company advises against mixing it's not because they think something bad will happen. It won't. But now it is no longer that company's oil either, with the additive pack and base oil composition that they certified the oil with in the first place. In fact, after mixing the oil no longer has any of the approvals or certifications it may have had previously. If it doesn't matter to you then fine, but don't try and make the argument that it's not the case.

Originally Posted by kschachn

Now you're just being silly. There's no way you can make a quantitative determination that your ad hoc blending is superior to any of the oils you used. .

Oh, come on....you don't know that this mix isn't the exact same lubricant as is used on the Hubble telescope gimbal mechanism....(although I thought it was CATERHAM blend with idemistu/M1 at one stage).

Originally Posted by Shannow

By CAN, and MAY do you mean that you've got evidence that blending mixing (the word is mixing...blenders take components, and with science create a formulated oil) two already fully formulated oils can end up with an oil that is better than either of them in all performance criteria ?

"Works fine"
"nothing blew up"

Aren't evidence that your mixes are better then either of the original oils.

Exactly. Whenever this gets trotted out I just shake my head. "Not blowing up" isn't proof of performance. Without actual testing what we've got here is feel-good anecdote that hinges on the user's belief that they are out-chemist'ing the folks that actually designed, blended and tested the original products while doing none of that same work. Like mixing the ingredients for two different cakes together, not tasting it, and then claiming you are Betty Crocker because you didn't get sued for making anybody violently ill.

Mixing as long as what you are mixing carries the proper specs is fine. Oil is oil if it meets specs. I know I know, sacrilege here...but it's true. At my shop I've often mixed partial quarts for oil changes in my personal and fleet vehicles. When we change drums of our bulk oil it's often a different brand....I buy wholesale whatever is cheapest that meets the weight and specs....we don't clean the lines out so custy's cars get mixed in that scenario too.

Never read, heard or experienced an issue.

cuz Florida is warm
lol.gif

Originally Posted by OilUzer
cuz Florida is warm
lol.gif

Not sure what that means. Actually Florida is hot. If it meets spec it meets spec. Hot cold or otherwise.

Originally Posted by ToadU
Mixing as long as what you are mixing carries the proper specs is fine. Oil is oil if it meets specs.

1 quart of Mobil 1 0w-40 with Porsche A40 + 1 quart of Pennzoil Ultra Euro 0w-40 with Porsche A40 does not create a lubricant that still carries A40. The approval is predicated on the testing of the specific product carrying it, any alteration of that product post-approval, such as mixing it with another oil, adding MMO or Lucas...etc nullifies that approval.

All oils can be mixed safely. To say otherwise goes against everything every manufacturer has stated. I don't believe in additives unless it's a last ditch resort. Adding Lucas and MMO ect is not advisable.

The exception is say you have a motor that's on its last leg....add anything you want you have nothing to loose. Additives are experimentation on your engine.

Last edited:

Not sure what that means. Actually Florida is hot. If it meets spec it meets spec. Hot cold or otherwise.

The performance most likely to be impacted by mixing together two different oils is cold temperature; the W-rating. The miscibility standard simply indicates that they don't turn to eggnog or some other obvious failure when combined, it in no way guarantees that the W-rating carried by the constituents is retained in the mix. Not likely to be an issue in Florida, certainly could be an issue in North Manitoba.

All oils can be mixed safely. To say otherwise goes against everything every manufacturer has stated. I don't believe in additives unless it's a last ditch resort. Adding Lucas and MMO ect is not advisable.

The exception is say you have a motor that's on its last leg....add anything you want you have nothing to loose. Additives are experimentation on your engine.

Actually, oil manufacturers don't recommend mixing. Their oils must be able to be mixed with another brand's product as per the miscibility standard, but that in no way guarantees the same performance as the original products individually.

""Mobil 1 is fully compatible with conventional engine oils, semi-synthetic engine oils and other synthetic engine oils if you need to mix them.

We are both arguing over different points. It may affect unique propriatry properties of a said oil however it won't damage the engine. All oils are compatible. Would I go around like a mad scientist mixing oils for the heck of it....no. Would it hurt to add a quart of brand X meeting spec to brand Y in the event you are low...nope. Not at all. There is no evidence I have ever seen to substantiate that. No evidence switching back and forth from Dino to Syn and back again is harmful ect. Dino and Syn are compatible as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back