2014 Lincoln MKS AWD Ecoboost

Status
Not open for further replies.
" I'll need to find another way to lug bags of mulch from Home Depot, but I'm OK with that."

Surprised you didn't notice this, on the center console there is a button for cargo mode. Automatically folds the rear seats and turns the trunk into a pickup bed.
grin.gif

Enjoy your new ride.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Lincolns are nice vehicles with toilet resale or overpriced MSRP.

Enjoy!

Horrible depreciation is the used car buyer's friend.

I dislike the over wrought styling, but the car must be nice to live with...

Could be a really nice deal in 4-5 years when a similar 27K mile car is $10K. My last 22K mile Lincoln cost me $9K. Looking forward to the next one.

looks like its a great looking car, hopefully its more Taurus underneath.

I've only encountered 2 lincolns, both were LS V8 and it was just a bad design that ended up costing a LOT of money to fix. I think it had stuff do with the spindles being all 1 peice or something.

My wife had an MKS, I think it was a 2010. What a mechanical nightmare. The A/C system went out (under warranty). A few other minor things but then a steering issue developed right after the warranty expired with maybe 40,000 miles. Our trusted (over 20 years with him) mechanic advised that an expensive repair would be badly needed before too long on the steering. That was enough, we traded it in the next week. Given its history we feared future repairs on problems that had yet to rear their head.

Hopefully, the later models do not have similar experiences.

Thanks for all the input and good wishes. I tried to go into this search with an open mind; trying to find a comfortable car with all the buttons and whistles. Knowing that buttons and whistles are not always part of a power train warranty, it was a matter of finding the right color, equipment and warranty. First car I looked at was a Passet SEL many months ago. Same HP as the Rogue but a 1.8 turbo/6 speed trans which moved it along. I received a very low trade; (the VW dealer already had 3 Rogues on his lot) but I wasn't going to finance $22,000 for an $18,000 Passat. Certified VW's come with 2 yr/24K bumper to bumper. Volvo S60/80 with its bumper to bumper would have been a nice car with the 5 cyl. turbo, just couldn't get the right package. Figured I would end up with either an Impala LTZ or LaCrosse Prem II. Drove a nice black/black leather/bose Lacrosse and it would have served me fine but even as a tall person, you see nothing of the car in front of the windshield when you are driving. (12 month/12k comprehensive on GM with 6 yr/100k powertrain). I'm sure you get used to it but that was new for me. Drove a nice Regal 2.0t but felt it was small for me so Fusion and MKZ didn't make it to the test drive list.
The MKS was not the flagship car Lincoln wanted; my car is one of 8,160 sold for 2014. I will not be working on the PTU.
smile.gif
Given that an older crowd might like this car, you might find lots of low mileage models in the future. AWD keeps the wheels from chirping on launch.
smile.gif
Wife wanted to go to Walmart yesterday and I picked up Castrol FS Magnatec 5w30 for $17.88.

We had our CPO MKX three years trouble free - just wanted something 3rd row for the grandkids, more cargo - and AWD - so got the Explorer ... (MKX was FWD)
Why would you not change the PTU oil - that's my biggest worry on Ford/Lincoln products ...

Originally Posted By: PhillyJoe
The MKS was not the flagship car Lincoln wanted; my car is one of 8,160 sold for 2014. I will not be working on the PTU.
smile.gif
Given that an older crowd might like this car, you might find lots of low mileage models in the future. AWD keeps the wheels from chirping on launch.
smile.gif
Wife wanted to go to Walmart yesterday and I picked up Castrol FS Magnatec 5w30 for $17.88.

Even in the rain you can plant your right foot and it will just shoot ahead without drama. Snow, it will spin all 4 if you let it and the traction control is disabled....

A very handsome car. I've got my eye on a white/tan 2013, 2 owners, 94K miles, in my area. The depreciation from a $45K car is insane -- as Steve said, horrible depreciation is the user car buyer's friend.

My concern, of course, is reliability, and the quality of the ride 19" wheels will have on the terrible streets here. Of course, it's a big heavy car, too.

To avoid the ecoboost 3.5L timing chain issues, choose a quality synthetic oil of sufficient viscosity and change it frequently. I suggest no less frequent than every 5000 miles. The 3.5 EB will easily last 300,000 miles with proper treatment. It won't make 100K with poor choices.

Yes, I know the BITOG crowd loves uber thin oil and extended oil change intervals. And proponents have excellent UOA results to back up their claims. However, real world results show that nearly all manufacturers have had trouble (often within the warranty period) by such practices. From BMW to Kia, Hyundai, Ford, GM, VW, Toyota and on and on. Micro particulates are hard on chains, non synthetic oils clog up piston drain holes, and low tension piston rings lose seal easily with only minor wear. Fuel dilution due to direct injection only makes the situation worse.

Note: Industrial testing show chains last longest with a true 30 viscosity oil that is particulate free.

The oil change is the only way micro particulates are removed from the engine. Filters only remove larger contaminates.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cujet

Note: Industrial testing show chains last longest with a true 30 viscosity oil that is particulate free.

Is XW30 better for timing chain wear than XW40?

Where are you seeing these results?

Originally Posted by Benzadmiral
A very handsome car. I've got my eye on a white/tan 2013, 2 owners, 94K miles, in my area. The depreciation from a $45K car is insane -- as Steve said, horrible depreciation is the user car buyer's friend.

My concern, of course, is reliability, and the quality of the ride 19" wheels will have on the terrible streets here. Of course, it's a big heavy car, too.

I've got the twin, the Taurus SHO. Had since new around this time in 2009. Currently at 129k and 0 mechanical issues other than a bum knock sensor under warranty. It's one of the first so lived the first 80k or so on dealer 5w20 changed every 7500 miles. Later on I switched to 5w30 when I did them myself to keep parity with the other vehicles. Still runs and drives awesome and I'd not hesitate to take it cross country tomorrow. It is an awesome cruiser that can take the twisties pretty well too.

I've got the 20's and ride quality is good with them and I'm in the Northeast so we also have terrible roads.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back